Show Off Your Yamaha....SNARE DRUMS!

I just bought this Yamaha snare off of Craigslist. It is a 14x6.5 Recording Custom SD965MA I have it all apart and I am going to get the shell re-chromed. I have 10 brand new lugs for it and the hoops look great. Not bad for $25.....it will be beautiful again very soon.

I got this drum in the 1980's, Yamaha Recording Custom, White Lacquer... What do you think its worth? its a 14x8, and this birch drum sounds amazing.
Pay no attention to the batter head, it came off a students drum. I think this drum is a little rare? Took the die cast hoop off the batter side and put it in my dw VLT.
I am wanting to get rid of it... have too many snares that I don't use.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 9,075
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    116.5 KB · Views: 9,004
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 9,398
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 8,890
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 8,866
Does anyone here know of a Dave Weckl aluminium that was 6.5 inches deep instead of 5.5, I have had one for a while and can't find any info about it anywhere on the net, I have the 5.5 as well, but I already know that's worth more than the £200 I paid. (not selling, just trying to find out more)

Cheers,

Chris

13 x 6.5 Musashi Oak

IMG_0327.jpg

14 x 5.5 Kabuto Steel
14 x 5.5 Stage Custom Birch

IMG_0293.jpg

Here's 2 of my latest snares...Sonny Emory signature Beechwood snare - 5.5X14, 10 ply, 10 lug, die-cast hoops, vintage finish; Vintage series Maple snare - 6X14, 4 ply w/6 ply rings, 8 lug, triple flg. hoops, vintage finish....I also have both Peter Erskine signature snare drums (4X10, 4X12) and a Longo solid shell Walnut snare (6.5X14)

Both together
picture.php

Vintage Maple
picture.php

Vintage Maple
picture.php

SE Beech
picture.php

SE Beech
picture.php

SE Beech
picture.php

I enjoyed this snare so much I decided to put Stellar hoops and a Trick throw on it. Would love to own the 13" version.

Attachments

• user19098_pic2262_1240357685.jpg
    user19098_pic2262_1240357685.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 7,690
  • user19098_pic2261_1240357685.jpg
    user19098_pic2261_1240357685.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 7,719
areFish, what do you think about that kabuto steel snare? i love the looks of it and ive always liked steel snares... and its only $200 at guitar centr. is it worth shelling out the cash and picking one up?
Hey there FB. I like the Kabuto, however I just picked up a Musashi Oak and I'm afraid the Kabuto might sit in a case for awhile. I found the Kabuto on eBay (not new, but new condition) for much less than retail price. I've seen new ones on eBay for 50% of retail. They have made a couple of minor changes to the drum. Looking at stock photos they now have nylon tuning rod washers and a centered badge.

I put Reverse Power Center / Hazy 300 heads on it as well as Puresound Custom 20 strand wires. It does sound good.

Heres mine, 1980's 14" x 8" Recording Custom (FOR SALE IN THE UK)

Funny that when you take photos of it, it appears slightly Orangem but in "real life" it is a "fire engine" red. Hmmm.

Attachments

• Yap.jpg
    Yap.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 7,755
  • Yatk.jpg
    Yatk.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 7,580
  • Yj.jpg
    Yj.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 7,699
This is my 1968 Yamaha snare drum, Blue Willow wrap, from a D20 kit, which was one of Yamaha's first run of drumsets.

The bearing edges are in relatively good condition (for being older than I am!).

Attachments

• FxCam_1311608650270.jpg
    FxCam_1311608650270.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 6,793
I love those hoops, but what's so special about the Trick throw off??
Many custom companies have Trick throw offs, but why?

Bram

It's hand made from solid high strength aluminum, smoothe as silk, notched tensioning knob. The quality is top notch IMO. I have a Dunnett R class throw on a custom snare that is very nice but the overall quality and craftsmanship of the Trick is hard to beat. You just need to try one and see, I guarantee you will want one on your favorite snare.

It's hand made from solid high strength aluminum, smoothe as silk, notched tensioning knob. The quality is top notch IMO. I have a Dunnett R class throw on a custom snare that is very nice but the overall quality and craftsmanship of the Trick is hard to beat. You just need to try one and see, I guarantee you will want one on your favorite snare.

The quality might be excellent, but personally I don't like the looks very much. In my opinion it's too big, or does it just look big on the photo??

The quality might be excellent, but personally I don't like the looks very much. In my opinion it's too big, or does it just look big on the photo??

I think it looks big because the diameter of the drum is only 12".

Anyone ever played one of these?

41TodxisNQL.jpg

I have been tempted a few times - they're very inexpensive. Anybody know what
they sound like?

Anyone ever played one of these?

41TodxisNQL.jpg

I have been tempted a few times - they're very inexpensive. Anybody know what
they sound like?

I haven't played one of these..I do own and play both the Peter Erskine sig. snares (10"&12")...they're awesome snares and can sometimes be found on ebay usually in the $200-$300 range...what is this snare selling for?...if it's less than that, you might just need to take a chance...it's a yamaha, so you know it's a quality piece...

Back