Show Me Your "Monster" Kits! (let's say... 7 piece and up)

Not sure if I posted these elsewhere on this forum...I bought the original 5pc kit about 15-16 years ago and slowly raided Ebay as I could to get this thing up to "monster" specs...
2-14x24's,8x12,9x13,10x14,12x15,16x16, 6,8,10,concerts, 6.5x14sd & 5x14 original Slingerland Festival sd,10&12 timbales wrapped to match, and various bells and whistles. I play a much smaller kit now, but these are a blast to play when I set them up every once in a while.

Attachments

• slingkitrvreszd.jpg
    slingkitrvreszd.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 3,634
  • slngftreszd.jpg
    slngftreszd.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 3,743
I wonder how many people with large kits can play properly, never mind the size.

You want to know how many people with large kits can play properly (as if a person's equipment has anything to do with their ability), but you want to ignore kit size as a parameter while doing so? Bypassing the contradiction, my bet would be about the same percentage as those with other-sized kits. Provided that anyone can agree on the definitions of "large kit" and "playing properly," which historically has been rather problematic.

Anyway, the never ending Big Kit vs Small Kit thread is probably the better place to inquire about any correlation between skills and kit size.

Mine ;)
_MG_8854.jpg

_MG_8740PQ.jpg

_MG_8759-PQ.jpg

DSC07934.jpg

DSC07928.jpg

_MG_8863-Ly.jpg

I'm sorry to interrupt the big kit vs. small kit discussion, but that's the fun stuff.
I think you can be more creative on this than on a 4 piece.
I have nothing against 4 piece kits, I play a 7 piece kit and I scale down to smaller sometimes, but after a week I want my big kit, because I'm more used to that, and my opinion is that you can do more on a big kit.

Again, great kit, Mirkko!

Bram

I'm sorry to interrupt the big kit vs. small kit discussion, but that's the fun stuff.
I think you can be more creative on this than on a 4 piece.
I have nothing against 4 piece kits, I play a 7 piece kit and I scale down to smaller sometimes, but after a week I want my big kit, because I'm more used to that, and my opinion is that you can do more on a big kit.

Again, great kit, Mirkko!

Bram

thx! but i didn't said nothing-i've just posted pics of my kit- :)

I just realize that I reacted on the discussion instead of interrupting it :)
BTW, how do you like the octobans in that position, and what head do you use on the gong bass?

Bram

lol
AW i use the Left octoban as a high tom/EFX-but eventually i would need a 8" tom-maybe-but i can't renounce to the octoban's sound,so i guess i'll change its position-
About the Right octoban,"when" i use it,mostly i like to play on it kind of cowbell pattern,u know.
On the "gong bass" is mounted an Evans EMAD clear,the same one i use on my kick dr.
Thx for the question- :)

With the completion of my studio, it's probably time to update my entry into the monster section.

kit_052210_02.jpg

kit_052210_05.jpg

kit_052210_06.jpg

kit_052210_03.jpg

kit_052210_07.jpg

WOW!!!!!! Truely Epic. How do you get in? Crawl to the right? Or are those curtains in the back?

Last edited:
My Monster. Custom Classics.

Attachments

• MVC-944.JPG
    MVC-944.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 3,383
  • MVC-941.JPG
    MVC-941.JPG
    131.8 KB · Views: 3,412
  • MVC-937.JPG
    MVC-937.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 3,270
  • MVC-936.JPG
    MVC-936.JPG
    131.4 KB · Views: 3,332
lol yr thats a joke thats chad smith's 308 piece guiness world record breaking kit. 8 million obviously knos nothing about drums

For the WIN ... from a recent CL ad

HUGE drum set - 97 peice - $8000000
Date: 2009-08-07, 1:28AM CDT

I am selling my super drum set. You will not find anything bigger to beat on in your life! This has 11 bass drums, 17 10" toms, 9 12" toms, 7 13" toms, 8 snare drums, 10 14" toms, 11 16" floor toms, and 24 18" floor toms. Also has a LOT of cymbals, stands, hi-hat stands, cowbell stands, nightstands, and one night stands. Comes with 11 single bass drum pedals just to mess with your head trying to figure out how to use them all at once. I'll throw in a TAMA iron cobra double beater but I cant find it. Its in the mix somewhere, just cant remember where I put it. Cymbals are top of the line Zildjian ZBT ...I dont buy cheap cymbals! All the drums are cheap JC Penny/sears brand shells. These things sound amazing. Only giged one time (had to rent 7 u-hauls to get to the gig). Also has 14 cowbells, 5 sets of chimes, a broken HS set of bells. I will even throw in some old saw blades to gnaw your drumsticks on those special affect hits (sorry, no drumsticks included).
I'm only asking $8,000,000 OBO I might even throw in the drum carpet for the right deal on these babys. Carpet is 30' X 40'

Chadsmith308piece.jpg

Back