What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

It's something i can explain to this day...one day i went into my garage and decided to set-up my dad's old kit, we'll i tryed to set it up! lol (it's not easy when you haven't got a clue)
At first i was disintrested, but something keept drawing me to them, it wasn't until i went to a local drumming festival till i was truley inspired but after that i knew what i wanted to do in life more than anything, no matter if i was a bum playing for change or a
pro drummer touring the world - i just wanted to play.
Thats my story
but
As for the question 'what made you want to play drums more than anything' i would reply.

.....drums....!

Oaks, Out.

Re: The "how" thread

Music- Led Zepellin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Frank Zappa, Journey, Incubus, Meshuggah
Drummer- I'd say Steve Gadd more than anyone
Person- My uncles and my grandfather are all great musicians and they were the ones who really motivated me to keep with it.
Style- Funk, Rock, Jazz, Progressive, Metal, Blues
Inspirations- Drummers who aren't very well known who should be i.e. Chris Pennie (Dillinger Escape Plan) and Zach Hill (Hella, Team Sleep)

I've been around musicians my entire life so i had plenty to choose from. I was just drawn to the drums. I don't have an explanation for it. It's just what i felt was right for me. After that, drummers such as Bonham, Gadd, and Carter Beauford just drove me to keep progressing with it.

1.Music: I was insanely inspired by mid-1960s hard-rock and British Invasion material. Groups like the Beatles,Yardbirds,Cream,Jimi Hendrix Experience,Rolling Stones,early Deep Purple with Rod Evans as vocalist were then and still are big influences on me.
2.Drummer:When I first heard Ginger Baker play Toad and Mitch Mitchell play the entire first Jimi Hendrix LP,I figured that the drums was the instrument for me. Also,I'd like to mention being inspired by seeing Dino Danelli with the Rascals on TV,twirling his sticks and looking like he was having the time of his life along with appearances of Carmine Appice with Vanilla Fudge,also playing his heart out...awe inspiring still...
3.Person: No particular person.
4.Style: Progressive Rock because it covers just about everything.
5.Inspirations:Ringo,Ringo,Ringo...

Music-Rush. I allways wanted to play drums my whole life, but Rush is the band that really made me pursue.
Drummer- Neil Peart. I also gotta give credit to lordmarco, one of the members on this board for inspiring me to get back on my kit.
Style- Just about everything

PS- I don't listen to Rush anymore and Peart is no longer at the top of my favorite drummers list.

i stared on the piano when i was little, but after watching the high school jazz band and drumline when i was in elementary school, i knew it was what i had to do. Now that im in high school and im livin that dream i now have much bigger dreams of being a professional drummer, and i got a ways to go with that one.

Guns and roses hahaahaha!!! I saw the you could be mine vid and it changed my life.....

I had always tapped things out in my head. I also had the idea that drums were going to be easy until I sat down behind a kit. Man, thats what I loved. So many ideas were going through my head.

What can I say, I like a challenge?

Music-The band that i recall that got me into drumming was oddly Red Hot Chilly Peppers and Limp Bizkit . maybe there were some other bands but i dont remember them now
Drummer-I think it was John Otto !
Person-My dad was working in a live music club so he was micking drums and while he was doing that he would put me on the drums .
Style-I play metal - Rock stuff although i would like to be able to play everything.
Inspirations-Although I listen to really specific bands like Children of bodom , Metallica , Iron Maiden only John Otto (Limp Bizkit) has influenced me , even though just a bit .

I was born into the first family of music, the Carter Family. I guess what made me decide on drums first was my Dad's Sister's Husband on the Meazell side, Uncle Robert (Bob) Taylor was a big band drummer. He was with Tommy Dorsey, Glen Miller and that crowd. On the other hand there was Lucky Larue Hendley, and Maw And Paw Carter and their children and grandchildren, my cousins, who were into country music. Then at 3 years old, about the time I started playing drums, a traveling music show forever changed my life. Back then it was not a concert it was a Show. A young kid and his band came to town to put on a show and everyone wanted to go see him. My Dad, Mom and Aunt Billie took me. I was so impressed that after the show I wanted to meet him. They took me to the dressing room door and the security let me in, after all I was only 3. He was very cordial and set me on his knee and visited and talked to me for over an hour. That night I came to call this kid friend. We parted and went separate ways. We wouldn't see each other again for almost 30 years. Yes that night I called this nice young man friend, the world would come to call him Elvis. So there were several elements that came into play that made me become a drummer. It was exposure to all types of music from all directions that would make my musical taste diverse. I did not choose to become a drummer, it choose me! I would go on to play guitar and write over 300 songs to date and run up and down the hiways with Alabama, and call Willie Nelson, Jan Michel Vincent and many other Stars and playmates friend. But I eventually went back to my roots and became a Hard Rock/ Southern Rock,/ Country and Blues drummer again. My Parents and Uncle Bob and Aunt Joy hung out togather every weekend for my entire childhood. I used to spend every weekend at thier house praticing on uncle Bob's drums. He was my first teacher, along with Gene Kupa, and Sandy Nelson. I learned a lot from those guys. They were all showmen and Gene Kupa was the worlds first real Super Star Drummer as well as a showman.
Danny Meazell

Nothing really, I picked up the sticks one day when my Dad bought his kit (he hadn't played in years and finally decided to get one again) and one day I realised "Hey, I'm a drummer!!!"

what made me want to play drums is when i realized that i had the power to change someones life for the better--i was playing in the band in elementary and people would flip off of these little quarter note/sixteenth note solos--but what made it more real was when was at church and a lady approached me after the service= she said "u know austin u really played those drums right, keep doing that." the place was bannanas and i know i had a hand in the outbursts--after that day which was like 6 months ago i knew i wanted to become the most emotional drummer period...... skills come with that which io am workig on right now--

I was never really inspired any way to play drums. I just sort of decided one day I'd start and take a few lessons (drum set that is, I had been playing percussion in band before this, but was never really into it).

Music- Before I started drumming, I wasn't huge on music. I listened to Godsmack, Disturbed, and Everclear. When I started drumming, music began to seem different to me. I started playing jazz stuff with the school, and began listening to a lot of prog.

Drummer- There's no drummer that inspired me to play drums, but for the first year or two of drumming I always saw Mike Portnoy as some god of drumming...

Person- I believe it was my band director that asked if I ever thought of playing set (since the previous jazz band drummers were moving up to high school). I figured why not, I'll give it a try. So I guess him, and of course my drum teacher. My parents weren't against it either.

Style- I started out playing some jazz, lattin, and rock. Then I moved to some prog style playing, and eventually lead to metal and death metal. I love to play pretty much everything though. Lately, I've been really into playing a somewhat funk style.

Inspirations- My middle school band director always pushed me, and my teacher taught me well and has a great personality and outlook on life.

I would say for me it was Bonham. When I was a kid way back in the 70's I remember listening to my brother's Led Zeppelin records and I was drawn to the big boomy sound of his drums. The tracks that did it for me were "When The Levee Breaks" and "Rock'n Roll". When I heard the intro to "Levee" and the solo at the end of "Rock'n Roll" I knew right then and there that I wanted to be a drummer. Not long after that I got my first kit, and tried to play along with those Led Zep records. After a short period of time I was playing along with a few songs and I took off from there. Thirty one years later I am still going strong and most importantly still learning and progressing. To this day I still play along with Led Zep and other music that has inspired me over the years. But the big event in my drumming years was seeing Buddy Rich in person when I was about 13 years old. That night changed my life. I have never seen anything like that before and probably never will.

well, i come from a really musical family, my father plays the piano/organ, as well as guitar and back in the day he used to mess around on his fathers drums. his father played drums, piano, trumpet and some guitar as well, while my moms dad was exactly the same, but with the sax. was a pity they never really got to meet, as my paternal grandfather died a year before the wedding, two years after i was born.

anyways, i've always been around music, my dad was the president of a football club and most nights when i was little i would fall asleep literally right next to the speakers in the bar. when i was just about to enter high school, i decided i wanted to get in to music, and it was when my dad said that "any drunk in a bar thinks he's a lead guitarist" coupled with the fact that i was constantly tapping out beats on my lunch box when they played during break or whenever, that i decided that i was going to be a drummer. not for fame, but purely so i could ligitimaly sit in with my friends and play an instrument. i knew from the first instant that i sat down behind a kit in my teachers studio that this was for me. now, after the relatively short time of three years behind a kit, i can honestly say that i still feel that same rush i got from when i first sat on a throne. drumming has become who i am almost, and i want to become good enough to play professionally so that people will hear my passion for music, and hopefully become passionate about it too.

Music- When I have heard Metallica for the first time I was shocked - cooool! I want to do the same things! So, I was a rock musician at the begining.
Drummer- Of course, my first idol was Lars Ulrich. Then I was very impressed of Vinnie Paul playing, then I was a fan of David Silveria, Joey Jordisson... But I also love Billy Cobham's playing, he got me into jazz.
Person- My drums tacher, Alex Sevriukov (Thank you for everything)
Style- I still loving rock, but I also love to play slow blues, light jazz. Not long time ago I discovered to myself a new styles - drum&bass, industrial, acid jazz
Inspirations- I dont know, but I cant imagine myself without playing drums

Music- Mostly Rock...I started playing because of Linkin Park, after hearing Faint i thought...wow
Drummer- Rob Bourdon (Though I lost my interest in him, my favorite drummers now are Thomas Lang, Steve Gadd, Tre Cool)
Person- No one
Style- Mostly Rock...used to play alot of Punk- Pop Rock, now I'm more into Alternative Rock and Jazz
Inspirations- Tony Royster Junior...after watching that video when he was twelve I thought...well I'm twelve why shouldnt I be able to do that? Oh yeah Thomas Lang too

Music:
Drawn On Empty Faces, Dream Theater, Incubus, Iron Maiden, Queen, Metallica, Megadeth,Slipknot...Yeah i could go on forever.

Drummer:
Mike Portnoy

Person:
My Friend Jake, My Brother.

Style:
Mainly Rock stuff. but will gice anything an attempt.

Inspirations:
All Drummers that i meet or listen to really.

Well, I've always picked out the drums when listening to songs, rather than listening to the song as a whole. When I was about 14, my school friends and I decided we would start a band, because that way we'd get to meet all the famous band members we had crushes on lol. One friend could sing pretty good, so she was nominated as singer, another friend played keyboard so she was keyboardist (this was the 80's, EVERY band had a keyboardist lol), so my other friend and I were left and I said I'd be the drummer. The band never eventuated (except in our heads lol, and we did write a couple of songs ha ha). I was never allowed to play drums back then, though. So as time went by I gave up on that dream somewhat, but knew in my heart one day I'd learn. Well, 20 years down the track, and I'm finally doing that. I guess the 20 year wait made me even more determined to learn, and to do it well.

Back