My Tama Rockstar

JENGLISH817

Hey just wondering, those of y'all that have the Tama Rockstars with the Accu-tune hoops, do y'all still use them or did you upgrade to regular style hoops? If so, did you do wood hoops or metal?

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    360.2 KB · Views: 2,893
I have a Rockstar custom, I like the accu-tune hoops that come with it. But that's a pretty nice looking set. I like that the toms are to the side instead of over the bass drum like the way it usually is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. Yeah, I like the 2 to the left better because I do alot of work on ride, and it feels better over the bass like I have it. Plus I love bashin on my Wuhan china (which I have stacked on the ride) so its great. I actually prefer the toms in the standard position, but I played quads in drumlines so its not too hard of an adjustment to have to move like that.

You aren't rude by asking why I bought them, I ask myself that on a daily basis haha. But seriously, I had only played on the hi-hats (which actually sound pretty good) and the ride (which isnt great but was a step up from Sabian b8 ride I had) and they were really cheap, which I know isn't always a good deciding factor, but I only play in my house so I figured what the hell. Now I'm actually planning on recording and giggin so I am going to upgrade. But yeah as far as cheap goes, I got the hats, ride, 2 crashes, china (which is the most awful sounding thing I've ever heard) and the splash for $400. Decent price for a lot of cymbals.

And yes I agree, they do look cool as hell. I get compliments on them (by non-drummers obviously) on how unique and sweet they look.

Last edited:
As a matter of fact, no i have not upgraded the GRP hoops on my SC PERFORMER. They're actually pretty good hoops, they're stronger than your standard wood hoop and stay in tune better i'd imagine, however they don't look nice and that's really the only reason they've been consigned to the bargain section of tama.

I have two sets of Rockstars, and I think it's a waste of good money to upgrade those hoops. Better save the cash and invest in a pro level kit later on.

I love my Rockstars by the way :).

The hoops are fine, just more flexible than wood and metal but still does the same job. Nice copper color man.

I'll be honest, A few of the Pitch Blacks are ok.

The 15" Hi Hats, 20" Crash/Ride and 22" Ride all sound good. Not the best, but I have seen worse. I would probably play out with them for real heavy rock gigs just to look cool, but that's it. Never in the studio and never any models but those 3.

I still have my accu-tune hoops on my swingstar, I've thought to upgrade to wood hoops eventually but for now it is OK and the good side about them is the easyness to replace heads and the toughness of those hoops. They can be bent accidently without breaking and the batter hoop isn't damaged by the pedal clam.

I'll be honest, A few of the Pitch Blacks are ok.

The 15" Hi Hats, 20" Crash/Ride and 22" Ride all sound good. Not the best, but I have seen worse. I would probably play out with them for real heavy rock gigs just to look cool, but that's it. Never in the studio and never any models but those 3.

Yeah I'm planning to upgrade my cymbals here in the next month or so. I plan to keep the hats as an auxilary pair for double bass. I'm still trying to decide if I wanna keep the 22in ride that way I can have 2 on the set. But yeah the rest is crap haha. Those crashes sound decent if you knock the holy hell outta them, but thats not really my style.

Thread is years old now, but I'll add that I specifically switched TO Accutune hoops from the older steel rims I had on my 1991 Rockstar DX kit. They look good, are durable (though they will certainly break if you bend them too far or if they get bumped hard like from a fall when mounted on the bass drum).

Plus the wing-less tension bolts make putting it in cases a whole lot easier.

Like many have said above, a drummer would be better off spending their money on upgrading other aspects of the kit first.

I have a Rockstar Pro from 1988 and it came with wood hoops. My only upgrade, as far as hoops go, was to change out the tom hoops with 2.3mm hoops. I just like the beefier hoops on my toms whether it helps me or not. The only other thing I did was switch out the original bass drum mount and tom post to an older Omni-Sphere system which they used on the older ImperialStar and SuperStar sets.

I love my vintage Rockstars in all their power tom glory. Haha.

My old kit was a Tama Rockstar, with those hoops. Never had any problems, and the little "notch" for the bass drum pedal was actually a nice touch.

Nice setup :)

Back