What got you started playing drums?

Re: the "how" thread

Well, big thanks to Stevis for initiating a thread that allows other drummers to communicate their history of percussion/music through a "how/where/why" discussion.
Well to begin with...

<b>Music</b>: ahhhhh, it's difficult to readily cite offhand, because i started jamming at a VERY VERY young age that before i knew it i was breaking sh*t around the house, stealing candlesticks or causing trouble in the kitchen and stuff. Then, i finally got a set, thank god, and much relief my parents felt.

<Drummer</b>: Again, difficult. ehhh, every frank zappa drummer. My dad (r.i.p.) was a HUGE Zappa-fanatic. awesome. Actually, come to remember. Back in the day (like 3 years ago) i was a big Vandals fan and discovered Josh Freese that way. He's (to this day) the only punk-drummer i consider to Have the skills most Un-punkrock drummers have. That's way cool.

<b>Person</b>: My dad, he allowed it. I didn't get yelled at for playing loudly in the basement for a couple of hours. fun stuff.

<b>Style</b>: I listen to music, period. So, style is everything i hear. I grasp anything i think could be played on drums. it usually works.

<b>Inspirations</b>: many many drummers. including those of the jazz-style. Those cats are always up to interesting and fun things. also, Myself. I usually don't care what instructors or drum-clinicians have to say as long as i know i feel great playing and don't let any ego get me barking til i am too tired to bite any longer.

Re: the &quot;how&quot; thread

With a name like "Plook" I find that hard to believe.

Plook said:
Style- Zappa.

Last edited by a moderator:

Music- I listen to alot of diffrent styles of music.. everything from punk, rock, metall, blues, jazz and some pop..
Drummer- My drumteacher, he is drummer for the norwegian idol tour..
Person- everybody who share the same passion as me on drums
Style- rock, punk, metall and funk..
Inspirations- Everything that has drums in it..

Music - Jazz bands that we had at school when I was growing up and anything that was on MTV.
Drummer - Don Kirby. My first and only drum teacher.
Person - Mr. Page. My music teacher in elementary school who gave me my first chance to play.
Style - Funk, R&B, Rock
Inspirations - Everyone/thing above inspired me to play. But the guy's who keep me inspired now are Steve Gadd, Uriel Jones, Benny Benjamin, Richard "Pistol" Allen, Andrew Hewitt (a drummer on my site), John Blackwell and the guy who's made the biggest impression on me, Billy Ward.

Started playing drums at 10 years old.
First band was with friends from school in 1984 or thereabouts.
First pro band was a cover band in 1989.. doing Skid Row, Motley Crue covers.
Biggest inspirations: John Bonham, Ian Paice, Phill Rudd, Carmine Appice, Eric Singer, Eric Carr.
Whats kept me going for so long: Rick Allen... the guy is amazing to bounce back from a car accident like he did and emerge as the drummer as he has.. it has really given me the spirit that anything is possible.

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

Hi Everyone,
I'm Richard and I too had started on the trumpet upon entering the 6th grade.
I soon went to the baritone and then the tuba.
I had friends that played drums in and out of the band, and that has always been my greatest desire to play. I've been playing drums full time now since the early 90's after dibbling with bass and other instruments over the years.
I love the sound of the drums, the emotions that you can make with them and the power that they have that make people move....
Drummers are the foundation of any group or band. The spirited time keepers.....

Plus, is there anything better than drums....? LOL

When I was 11 I started playing because of a boy. I never took any lessions but quickly fell in love with the drums more than the boy. Now at 15 I still love to play drums but still get attension from the boys and thats a big plus.

I think there is a un-avoidable desire to play drums. Horn players in the school band tend to make fun of percussionist but really they know they want "touch" the snare. One can see the desire in their eyes. The fact that an indivuadle can play a powerfull message that moves people inspires one to become a percussionist but after realizing it's hard work to be up to the standards of whom they saw play, one might easily give up and just dream. Then there is us who worked for the dream and made it a reality....

so with that drums are effin sweet I mean common, honestly can a trumpet play dark and evil solo that just flat out rocks and have nearly the loudness of the drums? Percussion has to most range when it comes to dynamics.

Im 15. Started playing two years ago in Novemeber. But I've been told on more than one occasion I'm the equivalent to someone who has been playing for 10.

I practice about 3 hours daily, and have a band (bebop).We play stuff by Charlie Parker, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Stan Getz, Duke Ellington, Dexter Gordon, etc etc...

I also play in the school jazz band because I could use some work on my reading/counting (because I'm mostly a feel player). I took lessons from day one, and I switched teachers about 6 months ago.

I started playing becasue of no spacific drummer. But my granpa plays, and he had taught my dad a few simple things when he was younger, and in the 80's he bought a set at a garage sale so I've always played around a bit, but never seriously until I started lessons.

Along with Jazz I play rock, metal, and emo (No I'm NOT an emo, I just like the music).

Inspirations: Dave Weckl is huge with me. He's the first jazz I ever heard and I'm In love with his playing (even though he's fusion, you get what I mean). Max Roach and Buddy Rich are also great too. Although lately I've been picking up some things from Bill Stewart and Peter Erskine. But I have to owe all of my rock playing to Linkin Park and Trapt and the such.

For me, it was just hearing drums that got my attention. I've been into music for as long as I can remember...in diapers! My mom bought me my first "kid" drumset when I was seven and I haven't looked back 20 years later! I remember going to school dances and seeing bands, which made me want to drum even more. I still get crazy when I go to a concert and see a drummer play...or even go see a local cover band...it's still an inspiring feeling for me.

I joined my high school marching band when I was only in fourth grade, which at that time wasn't a common thing in my school. Usually you had to be in at least junior high to be in band, but I guess I became the first exception. Two years later, I became the head of our drum section...which was a blast! I stayed in high school band all the way up to my graduating year, and I also started playing in bands when I was 14.

I couldn't see myself doing anything else...drums is like breathing for me. It's like a drug to me: you get such a high off of it, and you can never get enough of it!

when i was 10 i told the whole school that i played drums, so one day, out of the blue some older guys asked me 2 play sthg,and i didn't know what to do... i even hit the bass drum with the stick.
when the school year finished, i got a drums and took private lessons with my friend's brother( he was about 18 and now he is the best drummer in the middle east)
so when when i got back 2 school i showed them stuff that made them drool...

I saw Tommy Lee spin upside down in a cage and play a solo at the same time! I was hooked for life!

Hey everyone, this is my first post here, I'd like to stay longer too.

Ive havent ben drumming for too long, but it started in school, I sat in front of the kit at school, and got basic rock beat right that minute, and everything catapulted from there. This was in, say, September, October, and on Christmas day, after months of nagging parents I finally got one (with many of my uncles, who are very musical, saying stuff along the lines of: "why buy it? you'll sell it soon enough"). My parents never sold the kit (and by the way, its a CB but I'm not bothered, as of now anyway) coming up for 2 years this christmas, and I have a band, jam every weekend and gig. :D

well, i suck at everything else, drums give me a sense of power in my music, and i wanna be a part of my music. this is the best thing i can do, im stickin to it.

For me it was a case of mistaken identity. Growing up, my best friend was already an accomplished drummer. So to play with him I thought guitar was my calling...it wasn't. Then I tried bass..neither was that. As time went on I realized I had always liked the drums themselves and the activity of beating my hands on my thighs, desk or whatever to any song I heard. So I went and bought a cheap set and tried it out. Yep, too bad I didn't do this younger in life. But I am getting all of it now!

My Hands are God's gift. The only best thing i can do to the the best of my limit is to please My Lord with his gift.

NaturalRaz said:
I saw Tommy Lee spin upside down in a cage and play a solo at the same time! I was hooked for life!

That inspired me too dude! I wish I could've seen him do that live.

My dad had been a drummer his whole life. I don't know why, but when I was a kid I hated drums because I was around them so much.

Because I wanted to be Stevie Ray Vaughn, I wanted a guitar and so my parents bought me one. I didn't know where to start and I came to the conclusion that I hated it. I put down the guitar and had my dad set up his drums for me. Much to my surprise they came VERY naturally to me, almost kind of weird. This was when I was around 8 btw. Well, 10 years later here I am.

Music- My fave band, Tool
Drummer- My teacher, I forgot her name. lol It was long time ago
Person- My brother and my bf (my bf bought me my kit for my birthday, sweetest thing ever. My bro is an excellent drummer (an absolute freak for a 16 year old, must be all that listening to Yes, haha), and all this time I thought he resented me for wanting to play too, next thing he's like 'why didn't you?I'd have let you.'
Style- Metal, Hard rock
Inspirations- My friends and wonderful bf for constantly encouraging me and making me feel like I'm cool xD My dad for saying I could probably play better than him (whirrrd).

Hey everyone.
I was inspired to play drums from a good friend of mine who played drums in a local cover-band in San Diego, CA (my hometown). I was around 8 at the time (1993) but I never was able to buy a drumkit until age 14. I stopped playing after a couple years (because of noise restrictions, among other reasons) and started playing guitar and bass. I'm just now able to start playing drums again. It's very fun and exciting to be playing again, and I wish I had kept practicing through the years.

Back