Heuer Drums

The Edge

Chris Heuer is making new kits for some guy named Vinnie. Vinnie has a link on his website now, replacing the Ludwig link. This was foreshadowed on another board.

I'm not sure how that will all work. He may just use what he wants, when he wants, but have the Heuer as his main kit.

Interesting that the address for Heuer Drums is on Keystone Way.

Chris is a known & regarded restorer of drums. Jon should be able to tell you more about him, but if Vinnie has opted for personal support of a guy who knows what he's doing, over the entanglement that can be a major deal, then I'm all for supporting that. I imagine any such decision would be based on Vinnie's experiences, & individual expertise can bring a personal touch that major companies will struggle to emulate. Effectively taking the role of personal drum tech several steps further?

Good luck to both of them I say. Very refreshing :)

I don't know Vinnie's details regarding Heuer, I've kind of forgotten that he was ever with a major company. :) But he's had Chris do some work before, Vinnie didn't just discover him out of the blue. Chris has always been the go-to guy for a lot of pros.

Bermuda

I wonder if he'll use some other kits, too. I'll be surprised if he uses the H euers exclusively. But in the end, who cares? It's just gear, man. I'm sure the Heuers are great. They're being used for a reason.

I just heard Vinnie play the Heuers when he appeared in Vancouver with Paul Simon and Sting. I'm not a big fan of either artist- I have little interest in seeing old guys play their old hits,especially in arenas, but the tickets were free, so I went mainly to see Vinnie. Our seats allowed a great view of the man at work, and he was jaw-droppingly good, as I expected. I first saw him playing with Jeff Berlin at the Baked Potato in LA about 25 years ago. I guess the Heuers sounded good. I'm of the opinion that when you listen to a drum kit miced and processed through a big PA that any nuances in the tone of the drums is lost,especially in an arena. And visually, they were just a bunch of black drums under a canopy of cymbals. Vinnie was actually there as Stings drummer. Paul Simon's drummer was very good, but relatively understated compared to Vinnie. He played a small C&C kit with a second snare drum in place of the rack tom. He also played guitar on a couple songs while he played kick and hats with his feet.

It seems these days that drums are drums are drums. Everyone is making great stuff and the lowest common denominator for artist is; what can you do for me? Every time I see an artist switch companies, they say "these are the best" or "I have finally found my home" only to leave a short time later. Can't get me what I need? See ya later!
In my time working for a company, I saw all shorts come through with all sorts of demands. It is a shallow business sometimes.

Every time I see an artist switch companies, they say "these are the best" or "I have finally found my home" only to leave a short time later. Can't get me what I need? See ya later!

There are certainly artists like that, but let's not overlook the fact that sometimes a company changes their product - not always for the better - and there can be other logistical issues that hamper the relationship. Some of you may know that I waited two and a half years for my Keystones, while other artists and stores got theirs. Any artist would have been within their rights to leave, but I hung in there because I really liked the drums. Maybe that's part of why I'm considered a valued endorser.

Bermuda

You aren't kidding! I have seen guys leave over less. Take Tico Leaving Pearl for instance. I have seen good and bad in both area's. The artist demanding too much and the company not paying any attention to the artist.

I don't think I've ever bought a piece of gear because an artist endorsed it. I look for what I want to hear. Sabians and Ludwig Keystones are getting the job done for me. I like DW hardware and Atlas as well. No one is influencing my choices. Most times it comes down to what I hear in the store and make a decision based on that.

I have a feeling Vinnie will be just fine.

I absolutely LOVE IT that Vinnie is supporting the "little guy". Good on him, he's using his "Vinnie Superpowers" to elevate someone like you and I. But not like BErmuda, who is a very large rock star and has the long limo and entourage of slinky girls who follow him around everywhere.

No wait that's Thomas Pridgen. ;)

As the site makes no statement about this, I can only assume Chris sources shells from multiple vendors as he sees fit.

I couldn't agree more :)

Here's something I'd love to see : Vinny Coliuda endorces and plays Guru Drums,"because they get it right":)

More OT,although I hated to see him leave Ludwig,going with a little guy who knows his stuff is refreshing,and validates the notion,that some drum builders are artists in their own right.

Steve B

No one is influencing my choices.

We all like to think so. I know I certainly do. But the flip side is, that advertising isn't a multi-billion dollar industry for no reason. Clearly it works and it works very effectively or advertising budgets wouldn't be as high as they are.

Whether it's the swoosh on Tiger's golf shirt or the logo on Vinnie's bass drum head, it's there for a reason and is clearly having an effect. Just how much effect might surprise many of us, I reckon.

Back