Show Off Your DW Kit

Amazing kit!!

What do you think about the x-shell?. Really works?

Best regards.

I love them, but that is wildly misleading to just leave it at that. In as much as X-shells themselves are really nice, the real payoff comes from being able to state how you want your set to sound at a high level (figuratively) and then letting DW employ whatever construction techniques are necessary to achieve it. In other words, if you really want a set of drums that not only work and sound good together, but also have an exact pitch distribution, it is better to not spec the construction type at all and instead ask for how you want your kit to be.

For instance, I asked for my kit to hit the lowest notes possible for the sizes that I specced while also having a very even distribution. So, they started with the largest drums and used X-Shells. Then as they worked their way up to the smallest drums, they picked the best construction types that would keep the notes low while also keeping them from jumping too large or narrow a gap. As a result, my kit is monstrously deep and every adjacent tom pair is within a half step of a minor 4th apart, so tom transitions are ultra smooth.

I've purchased a lot of kits that have sounded great (like my DW birch kit), but there was always some element of surprise in terms of where the kit landed as a whole. You know, every drum sounds great, but maybe the 10" tom is higher than I wanted or the interval between the floors is a little narrow, etc... Not so with a hybrid.

Last edited:
Hi Brundlefly and Rmandelbaum,

Thanks for the reply. Very interesting ideas about configuration of kits.
Hope to test the x´s soon!!.

Also the finish of your kit is stunnig.

Best regards from Spain

Well I broke out my Birdseye kit and took it to a gig. I do not do this very often.

Here are some pics, I hope you enjoy

Birdseye_DW.jpg

Hi rmandelbaum

Tobacco burst is one of my favourites finishes. Really nice kit.

Best regards

my old collectors ´05. Im sorry to say I sold these beauties six months ago. Havnt been able to sleep properly since. God Im dumb. :(

Attachments

• drum1.JPG
    drum1.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 10,110
Bad photos... but here she is! (minus cymbals of course)

Attachments

• dw_1.jpg
    dw_1.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 9,210
  • dw_2.jpg
    dw_2.jpg
    731.5 KB · Views: 9,157
wow! how do you even play that? post some pics with the cymbals when they are all set up please! what a interesting set up

looks more like a woofer than a gong bass :O. must say very nice and also very wierd kinda kit. reminds me kinda of the fibreglass blamiere (probably not spelt right) on the forum which has 2 bassdrums spread far apart.

That was the word I was looking for :)
Yeah, the Blaemere double bass kit was very cool!

Bram

That is exactly what that is, it is a woofer mounted as a tom.

Very impressive kit. And I am doing the math in my head. Even at 40%.....

DW Collector's Series Maple
(Finish Ply Silver Sparkle)
5x10 (Batter: Clear Emperor, Resonant: Clear Ambassador)
6X12 (Batter: Clear Emperor, Resonant: Clear Ambassador)
12X14 (Batter: Clear Emperor, Resonant: Clear Ambassador)
14X20 (Batter: Clear PS3, Resonant: Coated Ambassador, DW Pillow)

Craviotto Unlimited Solid Maple
5.5X13 (Batter: Coated CS, Resonant: Ambassador Snare)

Zildjian A Custom
12" & 13" Mastersound hi hats
16" EFX
17" Crash
17" Projection Crash
18" China
20" Projection Ride
6" Bell

Attachments

• DW 2_2.jpg
    DW 2_2.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 8,759
Last edited:
wow all these kits are incredible!!! I have a pdp at least im on the right track to dw

wow! how do you even play that? post some pics with the cymbals when they are all set up please! what a interesting set up

Is that a 28 bass drum?

Yeah.. i've got a couple of dw 5000 auxilary pedals set up to reach the 18" and 26".. im using a 20" as a primary... all the bass drums are 16" deep.. and i have the 24" woofer mounted.. I also sometimes use is as a woofer but enjoy having that 24" drum to beat on! haha!

That is exactly what that is, it is a woofer mounted as a tom.

Very impressive kit. And I am doing the math in my head. Even at 40%.....

OK!! i have to be honest!!!! I pieced this kit together all off of EBAY and CRAIGSLIST!! it started as a 4 piece... 20" 10" 12" 14"... slowly but surely managed to find all these drums.. ( i guess over a 6 month period )

I know u guys are really into DW... but i have a Mapex Saturn kit (1 drum bigger than this kit) that i would put up against any dw when it comes to sound. Those maple walnut shells are slammin!! Granted dw shells are killer as well... just PRICYYYYY!! (hints ebay and craigslist hustlin!) ;-)

Back