Baker Street Drum Co - Custom Kit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRV6Qm9v_2A

Here I am demoing my Baker Street Custom kit! Playing is not supposed to be flashy - just to give everyone an idea as to what the kit sounds like. It was recorded at Synergy Studios in Brampton, ON, CA using only two overhead mice - completely unedited.

The kit specs are:

Oak core, wrapped in walnut with oak wood hoops.

Kick - 22x14
Rack - 12x8
Floor - 16x14

I've also got a matching 14x12 floor.

The snare is a Baker Street Oak custom with Oak wood hoops. 14x5.5

I'm using Sabian AA 13" flat hats, sabian XS 18" medium thin crash, Meinl 21" Byzance medium ride, and sabian XS 18" crash ride

Sticks are Los Cabos Maple 3As

Nice playing, expected a little more from the drums though. Snare sounds mediocre, toms sound a little flappy, I think the tuning just not my taste. They look like they should sound great. Combo the loudness of Oak and the warmth of Walnut, nice idea. Maybe I should of dug out the headphones, sorry for the bad review.

Wow. I love the look of that walnut with the matching hoops! Those are great sizes, too. But I'd probably go with a deeper kick drum. I'll reserve judgement on the sound since it wasn't a proper recording, but I don't doubt they sound fantastic.

I gave it another listen with a set of headphones, much better sound with a set of cans on. Still not diggin the snare, but Toms sound like they have potential.
I think the small, probably dead, room is playing a significant part here too. That said, the bass drum is very thin sounding, even accounting for the room.

On my side, with good studio monitors, it sounds pretty decent... I'm certain
it's the recording... but, in my opinion, the bass drum is tuned too tight and
the toms are not tuned with each other, just my opinion... I like the snare,
pretty funky...

Ph.

Hard to tell what they really sound like, overhead miking - unless done correctly - doesn't usually reveal a very accurate sound. The problem is, with mics too high in the air, the room - especially a small one - can adversely affect the sound. The best way to make overheads hear what the drummer heard when he tuned the kit, and what he hears when he plays, is to use omni mics placed where the drummer's head is. that way, the distance from the drums matches what the drummer thinks they sound like, and room acoustic are factored in.

In the clip, I can tell what the toms want to sound like, but the mic placement prevents that from coming through. Same for the snare. the kick is a bit buried, but that's also how the drummer hears it.

Bermuda

Nice warm sound. I could not hear the bass drum well enough to judge.
Your video was quite good for cymbal sounds. That Byzance ride and your right side crash (Sabian XS crash?) sound quite tasty.

Back