What got you started playing drums?

Re: The "how" thread

Music- ( The music and bands who got you into drums)

Well being 44 the band that got me into drumming (no surprises here) was the Beatles...

Drummer- (The drummer who got you into the drums)

That would be Richard Starkey...

Person- ( A specific person you know who got/helped get you into drums)

My Mom/my Dad and my late Grandfather who worked his whole life at a music store and could play a little bit of every instrument.

Style- ( The style you enjoy playing most on drums)

Pop/Rock

Inspirations- ( Anything that inspired you to play in the first place and keep on playing to the best of your abilities)

After Ringo I would say Neil Peart, Bill Bruford, Ian Paice and countless others...

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

I hated piano so I chose the drums and once I got a Metallica CD I wanted nothing more then play no no I mean BEAT the S***T out of those drums!
Thank you!

Music - Deftones Pearl Jam Blink182 Nirvana Korn

Drummer - Matt Cameron David Silveria Abe Cunningham

Person - My mates got me in to drumming one of my friends had A cd with A whole bunch of songs pretty much all the bands above on it and they used to air guitar to and told me to be the air drummer so I did and then after that I just coulden't stop air drumming when ever I put on A cd I had to air drum to it even though I didn't no how to play at the time

Style - Metel rock punk would say Jazz but to be honest I can't play Jazz

Inspirations - Pete Sandoval he attacks his bass drums like A punching bag. In fact, he spends so much time blasting quadruplets and sextuplets with his feet that heretic could probably win an award for most bass strokes ever on A long playing album. Dave Grohl the whole nirvana to foo fighters thing

Music- blink182, sum41, evergrey,The failures, the ramones,the doors, aerosmith,nirvana.
Drummer- no one really i kinda jumped into it blind.
Person- there was this guy who worked at my school his name was mr ryan. he showed me the basics ever once a a while after school.
Style- punk and metal
Inspirations- seeing people that are better than me. it helps alot, if instead of giving up you bring ur self up to their level.

Music- U2 was a big insperation from a young age. My dad has many tapes (yes TAPES!) from the many times he had seen them, i used to sit and watch them and consentrate on the drummer, even when i had no idea about me drumming at the ages of about 5-8.
Drummer- Well...larry mullen was one of the first drummers names i knew, so il stick with him.
Person- It was always my personal choice but for the love of music, it would be my dad that helped me into it.
Style- Anything from metal to funk-jazz.
Inspirations- Again, larry was the only one i knew from a certain age, but now I am very much influenced by many others, like thomas lang, mike portnoy, ian paice, travis barker, etc, etc could go on forever so i will stop now.

i played guitar for four-five years, was never amazing, but was solid, but practicing became a chore and then we needed a drummer in my church band and i sad ill do it, in three months i have progressed more on the drums then i did on guitar in five years i feel as thought it is inside me also having a amazing piano player for a dad helps, also my sister played drums in a band through highschool so i have her pearl exports now. she never was that good tho at all, oh and i always liked drummers how they are mysterious and sometimes very subtle its sooo good.....

thats it!

i kinda stumbled upon it lol.. i took up percussion in band class in 6th grade cuz that's what my friends was doin.. then i fell iin love wit it lol.. i used it to like.. get stuff off my mind and hit the drums instead of ppl lol.. and now i love it

I come from a musical family. My dad plays the electric and bass guitars, his brothers play the accordion, harmonica, drums and guitar. When I was three, Dad bought a miniature guitar and set of drums. I never touched the guitar. In 5th grade, I took up band and began to play the drums. From then on, the drums have been my instrument of choice. I've wanted to buy a set since about 8th grade but I never got around to it. I'm now a senior in college and haven't played since I was a senior in high school, but Mom and Dad are pitching in for a set as a gift for my graduation gift. I'm pumped!

I was obssesed with drums ever since I was a kid. I think it had a lot to do with Animal from the Muppets. Kept hassling my parents to let me take lessons.

Everyone kept saying 'why do you want to be a drummer????'

I didnt understand why everyone else wanted to play guitar. How boring I thought to myself..

Still remember seeing Tommy Lee spinning upside down, doing a mental solo at a Motley concert when I was 9 or 10. I was hooked from then on

I think it was Nicko Mcbrain who had influence on me.He was like an animal you know ? I used to think that he is the best player of the world.Today i think he is atractive drum player isnt he.Anyway,heres a fact for you:I played for ten (10)years and i didnt have a drum kit

MUSIC- Iron Maiden,Deep Purple,SMAK(you must listen this band played as pregroup for deep purple and guitarist siad that he was so nervous after listening this guys guitar solo)
DRUMERS- Nicko Mcbrain,Ian Pace,Igor Cavalera,Boris Leiner,Alham Zilic
PERSON-Quess a close friend of mine and my teacher Alham Zilic
INSPIRATION-MAIDEN MAIDEN MAIDEN
STYLE-I would play anything but I wouldnt dare to play jazz im not dedicated that much to my babys,dont have time

music::: Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Rush, Cream
drummers::: My father, john bonham, keith moon, ginger baker
person::: my dad, my friends joe and scott, even though i've passed them now, god bless'em
style::: classic rock/funk, simple blues
inspiration::: keith moon, john bonham, huub janssen, buddy rich, chad smith, neil peart, ginger baker, vinnie colaiuta

To tell you the truth i really have no idea ever since i could understand how to speak or do anything at about age 1 i've always craved drums, it looked so good to bang on something that made such a fascinating noise. I could still remember when i was about 3 or 4 beating on my mother's pots and pans, lol to think i used to be satisfied juest by looking at a drum set. Im not shure what music got me into to drums ever since i was able to understand music i have always wanted to play, but the bands that were truly an ispiration to me, and still are, were Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, and all thoes oldies bands. That was when i was about 5 years old, and ever since then and earlier i've always loved to play drums.

I started playing when I was 10 years old in the school band. I wanted to play the saxaphone like everyone else because it was 'cool' - go figure. I was actually pretty pissed off when I was told I would be playing the drums but decided to give it a go anyway. I was a pretty quick learner and was one of the best musicians in the band. After 3 years I got tired of playing boring concert band songs and gave it away.

When I moved to uni I decided to take it up again so I could jam with my mates and stuff and I've been playing for a year now. Nowadays, the thing that makes me want to play the drums more than anything is The Mars Volta - their drummer Jon Theodore is awesome, I just love the way he plays, and hopefully one day soon I'll play like that.

I recently found and looked in a book where you fill in stuff about what you want to be when your older and fill in other stuff like best friends, birthdays, etc, which i completed when i was very young (about 5 - 6 or something). And in it, it says "What do you really want to do or learn," or something to that effect and in my crappy young primary 1 writing it says "eat pies". Nah "drumming", so that was pretty cool to see.

I actually started keyboard when i was about 7-8, influenced by parents and music school because they said it would get me to know about the music first, plus my wrists may not be strong enough. I started, and hated it! I used to play along to the demos on the keyboard but note with notes from the keyboard! by hitting it keeping the drum beat!!!

I'm now 15, and started drums at 10, but as you can see, i wanted to a long time before that! i went to a snare drum class thing when i was about 7 and used to always take anything i could find to hit my plastic fake play snare drum i had (and broke) lol.

So i'm not completly sure about what made me start, old videos of larry mullen with u2 that my dad had definetly helped, and influenced me!!

What made you want to play drums more than anything?

the thing that made we want to play drums was i was watching TV and i saw the band blink 182 What's my age again and i was like that is awsome then 1 of my friends knew hhow to play drums and that made me want 2 play so i did and i been playin for about 2 years now

the thing that made me was start playing was, you know when your young and you get random obessions with anything you think is 'cool'. well i was obessed with drums for a short time and at this time its was coming up to my birthday so of course i asked for a drum kit. at first when the obession wore off i was concidering quiting. but stuck to it. as i got older i realised what drums were about and now i wouldnt stop now if u paid me!!

SpikeY

Music- Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, children of bodom, darket hour, the mars volta
Drummer- John Bonham, Jonh Theodore, both amazing drummers!
Person- My friend who played guitar and a guy i know who plays durms
Style- funk/rock/metal
Inspirations- Listening to Led Zeppelin!

Re: the "how" thread

drummerern said:
you do that too? or a*re you joking about tapping your teeth?

Not only do I tap my teeth, I play snare rudiments with them. Probably not very good for them.

I have a pretty mean 5 stroke single by the way.

Music- Led Zepplin, Cream, The Police, Chilli peppers, basically a bit of everything.

Drummer- Bonham, Ginger Baker and Dom Famularo

Person- My drum tutor.

Style- Various styles of rock, indie and a sprinkle of jazz.

Inspirations- Playing guitar and then when a band set up, it needed a drummer......

Back