Daily Drumset Workout by Claus Hessler

Hi Gvda,

I've been working on the same material for the last 3-4 weeks (ever since I got the book). I've been doing three ostinatos for ten minutes each, and then I've been doing some other pages for 30 minutes also each day. It's a bit hard to stick with the exact same thing for at least a week, but I think that's the point--that's what it takes to really get this stuff down.

I've been mostly practicing it slowly, and during the course of each ten minutes I've been spending some time playing it very soft, very loud, and in between. After three weeks, I can really notice some increased solidity in my playing (and what's more encouraging, I think some of my fellow musicians are noticing it as well on the gigs I've been doing).

I had a few questions on some of the exercises in the book, and I e-mailed Claus through his web site(claushessler.com) about them, and he responded right away, so you might want to try that if you're confused about anything.

Ed

thanks brother

Im glad to hear your are seeing results

Hi all....ive started on this book last week,i feel this is gona be a real challenge but one which will bring rewards.
I am so guilty of buying drum books and never finishing them,i beleive this concept will keep me focused and aware of my progress.
Looking briefly over the book,there is alot of material in there and once completed my drumming will have improved ten fold!!!

rik

Yes, I've also emailed Claus in the past, he is very helpful. I also took a Skype lesson with him once. That was very, very cool. I will definitely be getting more help from him once my income goes up!

So, my understanding is that I can work this into the beginning of my practice sessions? Then, I can keep working on whatever else I want? If that's the case, then I will order a copy and get started.

-sheldon

Hi....working away at this book,almost completed week 3.doing half an hour everyday and so far sticking to it!It will take me a while to get through this book but i'm confident it will really sharpen my skills as a player.
Anyone else here on the same journey?

rik.

Hey Rik!

How's it going with the "Daily Drumset Workout"? Still working on it?

Been doing/perfecting a few of the exercises for a while now, guided by Mr. Hessler himself. He's a fantastic teacher, me thinks.

Also very much digging his (and Dom Famularo's) "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1". Even if one does not play open-handed, there's tons of great stuff in there.

Patrice

Hi....working away at this book,almost completed week 3.doing half an hour everyday and so far sticking to it!It will take me a while to get through this book but i'm confident it will really sharpen my skills as a player.
Anyone else here on the same journey?

rik.

Ditto- ordered the New Breed book too. been meaning to for a long time. Thanks

If you like "Daily Drumset Workout", make sure you also check out "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1". So much great stuff in there!

Claus Hessler's DVD "Drumming Kairos" is also coming out any day now... Will let you guys/gals know whether it's worth your hard-earned cash.

Patrice

Finally got my copy of Claus Hessler's new DVD "Drumming Kairos".

Haven't had a chance yet to watch the DVD, but did print out and look through the accompanying PDF booklet. At ca. 112 pages: not too shabby!

Can't figure out whether I'm biased or not, since I've been studying with Claus for a couple of years, but IMHO the PDF booklet alone is worth the price. So much cool - and useful, of course - stuff in there.

The exercises focus very much on the Moeller Technique (yeah, i know ;-) ) & how to apply it in your daily playing.

The booklet includes a few pages taken from Hessler's "Daily Drumset Workout", as well as his - and Dom Famularo's - "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1" & "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 2". If I didn't have those yet, I'm sure the excerpts would have convinced me to order them... ;-)

Off now to work on some of the "Freak Moeller" exercises...

Patrice

Finally got my copy of Claus Hessler's new DVD "Drumming Kairos".

Haven't had a chance yet to watch the DVD, but did print out and look through the accompanying PDF booklet. At ca. 112 pages: not too shabby!

Can't figure out whether I'm biased or not, since I've been studying with Claus for a couple of years, but IMHO the PDF booklet alone is worth the price. So much cool - and useful, of course - stuff in there.

The exercises focus very much on the Moeller Technique (yeah, i know ;-) ) & how to apply it in your daily playing.

The booklet includes a few pages taken from Hessler's "Daily Drumset Workout", as well as his - and Dom Famularo's - "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 1" & "Open-Handed Playing Vol. 2". If I didn't have those yet, I'm sure the excerpts would have convinced me to order them... ;-)

Off now to work on some of the "Freak Moeller" exercises...

Patrice

Do you know if it's available in the U.S. yet? I'd like to pick it up, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Ed

I'm also very excited about the DVD. I spent about a year working with Open Handed Vol1 daily. Again, his approach is oriented around technical development and the Moeller technique is the cornerstone of all of it.

I was able to refer to the Jojo Mayer DVD for help with Moeller (and private lessons) but I'm very excited to see how he teaches it.

QUICK QUESTION

Is Daily Drumset Workout only a 30 minute per day commitment? I could probably do that.

ALSO

New footage from Mr. Hessler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrOpzQfkS0M

!!!!!!!!!!!

-sheldon

skreg,
that's a stunning video! Outstanding musicianship.
I was shocked when I realized that I had e-mail contact with the both of those musos - coincidence though...
(The bassist was the highest bidder on some thingy that I once sold off ebay a few years ago. Small world, haha.)

I got Claus' new DVD today (ordered it yesterday - now that is fast!!), have checked out half of it so far. It's fantastic! Much work ahead, it's stuffed with great but often times challenging exercises (well that's the point of it). I also invited him to join Drummerworld so we might see him drop in from time to time (and/or participate in the Drummers section once there is a thread on him) and probably also give some info/statements on his DVD himself.

Do you know if it's available in the U.S. yet? I'd like to pick it up, but I haven't seen it listed anywhere.

Ed

@ Ed... I asked Claus Hessler, and he said it should also be available in the US any day now.

After having studied the PDF more in-depth and having watched bits and pieces of the DVD, I must admit I really dig the whole package.

As it says on the cover: "Moeller Technique through the Chapin Glasses." None other than Jim Chapin himself said years ago that Hessler really knows his Moeller.

There are lots of great exercises to develop your Moeller, and to then take it further.

One of the things I personally find extremely important: Hessler doesn't just go into all the aspects of Moeller, the whip, etc., and presents it as a technique workout, but shows how one can apply it in one's daily playing, whether it's Jazz, Pop, Rock, Latin, whatever.

The one thing Hessler really opened my eyes to (since I started studying with him) is how Moeller can also be used as a pretty tough and mind-bending independence/interdependence workout. The "Freak Moeller" exercises (as he calls them) included in the PDF look easy, but are fairly demanding (when you first start working on them).

Another section I love are the so-called "Moeller Triplet Circles", which show the connection between Moeller Triplet Single Strokes, and various rudiments. (Circle 4, e.g.: Triplet Single Strokes -> 5-Stroke Roll -> Slurred 5-Stroke Roll, Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Single Flammed Mill Variation -> Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Single Flammed Mill Variation 2 -> Collapsed 5-Stroke Roll Pa-Fla-Fla.) Very clever, me thinks. And very useful! (He also talks about "Collapsed Rudiments", a concept developed by Chapin. You can find a relevant clip from a couple of years ago on Hessler's YouTube Channel.)

The final chapter "Reverse Syncopation" will also take a bit of practice...

QUICK QUESTION

Is Daily Drumset Workout only a 30 minute per day commitment? I could probably do that.

-sheldon

You can use it that way, yes.

Hessler stresses the importance of working on the same exercises daily (for a while), so you really get to delve into them, and make progress; instead of changing exercises every day or two.

BTW: Great stuff in the "Daily Drumset Workout". It's 200+ pages!!! It might very well keep you busy for a while! ;-)

Patrice

Last edited:
The "Drumming Kairos" DVD seems to now be available in the US via an Amazon.com affiliated store:

http://www.amazon.com/Claus-Hessler...&qid=1379894403&sr=8-6&keywords=claus+hessler

For whatever reason, it is listed as a "paperback".

Patrice

Thanks for the heads up! I should be picking up a copy soon. I looked it up about a week ago and also saw that it's also available from sheetmusicplus.com: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title...iros-English-German-Language-Edition/19921072

Thought I would post on this thread before it gets too cold and out of date. I got this book for Christmas and started it today. I hope to be able to get Herr Hessler to answer some questions here on the forum about the book. I am doing this as an extracurricular experience, since I am having my teacher guide me through Open Handed Playing Vol. I. I figure I can handle 30 min a day. I would have to say I am a bit uncertain about the record keeping Claus is asking me to do in the book...

Claus hasn't exactly been very active on this board. He's got a good excuse, however: he's been pretty freakin' busy. ;-)

To make it perfectly clear: Claus has *not* asked me to answer in his stead, but I've been studying with him for a couple of years, know a tiny bit about his concept(s), and might possibly be able to help you with any questions that might've come up.

The "record keeping", btw, is something I do religiously. And I track lots more details than Claus suggests in the book. I find that keeping records is extremely helpful to stay focused, and not too long ago I analysed my July 2013 record, to figure out what exactly I'd been doing to make it such a productive and satisfying month.

Patrice

Thought I would post on this thread before it gets too cold and out of date. I got this book for Christmas and started it today. I hope to be able to get Herr Hessler to answer some questions here on the forum about the book. I am doing this as an extracurricular experience, since I am having my teacher guide me through Open Handed Playing Vol. I. I figure I can handle 30 min a day. I would have to say I am a bit uncertain about the record keeping Claus is asking me to do in the book...

Thanks, I appreciate it! It will take a while to make it past the first few pages. As written, it looks like you only document/evaluate after completing each two-page module?

Back