let's see your Craviotto's..

Jut curious to know what batter head you guys would recommend on a bass drum with a fur reso ?

Please post a pic when you get it. i'm sure you will love it.

I haven't gotten it home as of yet, but here is a pic of the snare! It sounds amazing!!... Oh, and it turns out that this drum is cherry, not mahogany.

Attachments

• crav.jpg
    crav.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,039
Last edited:
So pleased to own these drum kits and now we cherish them even more so. A tribute to Johnny Craviotto.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful drums indeed. I was reading how he was influenced by ship building techniques and the use of sunken timber from Lake Superior with the Timeless Timber series of drums. I wonder how having the wood aged under water influence the sound of the drums? I'm so sad for his family and the loss of a great drum builder and drummer.

My understanding from an article a few years ago that it had more to do with the wood being under pressure more so than aging. I could be wrong, but remember reading this. The pressure caused a much denser wood.

My humble collection...

Attachments

• 5.5x13 Crav small.jpg
    5.5x13 Crav small.jpg
    697.7 KB · Views: 703
  • 5.5x14 johnny c 1a.jpg
    5.5x14 johnny c 1a.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 701
  • crav2 copy.jpg
    crav2 copy.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 698
  • crav6.52002a.jpg
    crav6.52002a.jpg
    591.5 KB · Views: 690
The Master builder has passed, but his great instruments live on.
To me the snare drums in this video exemplify the highest level of sound and craftsmanship.
I hoped to own one someday however it's most unlikely now... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEMms0nmkKE

Last edited:
This is hands down the VERY best snare drum i've ever played. very fortunate to own it.
It looks it too - beautiful drums, Pete! Congratulations on such a great collection of fine instruments!

Inspired by his mastery of the art of instrument building, here's the beginning of my tribute to Johnny Craviotto. These two arrived today: 5.5x14 Cherry/Maple/Cherry stack via Steve Maxwell's, and 6.5x14 Johnny C maple via Memphis Drum Shop.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 505
  • 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 509
  • 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 539
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 515
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 528
Custom Shop Mahogany, 8x14, 30/30

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 493
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 505
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 545
"He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist."
--Francis of Assisi

I put off for years purchasing any of Johnny's snares. Within minutes after hearing of his passing I pulled the trigger on these two pieces to remember Johnny's artistry.

6.5" X 14" Private Reserve Curly Walnut and a 6.5" X 14" Private Reserve Birdseye & Curly Maple stained in slate gray.

Attachments

• CraviottoWalnutLoRes2.jpg
    CraviottoWalnutLoRes2.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 523
  • CraviottoBirdseyeCurlyMaple.jpg
    CraviottoBirdseyeCurlyMaple.jpg
    235.7 KB · Views: 494
"He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist."
--Francis of Assisi

I put off for years purchasing any of Johnny's snares. Within minutes after hearing of his passing I pulled the trigger on these two pieces to remember Johnny's artistry.

6.5" X 14" Private Reserve Curly Walnut and a 6.5" X 14" Private Reserve Birdseye & Curly Maple stained in slate gray.

So you're the guilty party that bought my Craviotto!...;-).. Beautiful snares, congrats! I had my eye on that slate gray maple snare before you bought it...

Last edited:
So you're the guilty party that bought my Craviotto!...;-).. Beautiful snares, congrats! I had my eye on that slate gray maple snare before you bought it...

Guilty as charged with my apologies.

I've been eyeing that slate gray maple ever since it was first posted on Steve's website but I kept putting off the purchase month after month.
I figured it wouldn't be there more than a day or two after Johnny's passing. Fastest decision I've ever made.

Beautiful drums indeed. I was reading how he was influenced by ship building techniques and the use of sunken timber from Lake Superior with the Timeless Timber series of drums. I wonder how having the wood aged under water influence the sound of the drums? I'm so sad for his family and the loss of a great drum builder and drummer.
I'm pretty sure that during the war times, Martin guitars were making their guitars from sunken timber from some lakes in Maine and these are some of the most highly sought after acoustic guitars in the world.

Mahogany drums kick butt.. and some group shots..

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot stop playing these new arrivals:
Beech/Birdseye Maple, 7x14, 45/45
Walnut, 6.5x14, 45/45...and a family photo or two.

Attachments

• 051.jpg
    051.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 366
  • 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 041.jpg
    041.jpg