All the gear no idea!

JMS93

HI,
I am a 19 year old, Male living in the UK. Spontaneously decided to out and get my self a drum kit, i found what I class as a bargin for a second hand drum kit that I have now got set up in my room (Parents are well impressed, NOT!). Was just looking for some tips of where to start really, I want to one day be able to learn enough to play comfortably in a band playing indie/ rock kind of music. I have booked my self in for lessons that start next Thursday but just wondering if any one here could give me a few pointers while I wait :)

Thanks alot,
JMS93

Welcome to the forums.

As you probably already know, drums tend to be on the noisy side. Set a time of day for practice that will impact the fewest people. Talk to your neighbors and explain that you are a beginning student but that you are serious about learning the instrument. Late morning and early afternoon works best for me.

Try to be consistent with your practice schedule. It's better to practice one hour a day for five days than to practice for five hours one day a week.

Invest in a metronome. The Tama Rhythm Watch looks to be pretty good. I have an Alesis SR-16 drum machine, but if I was to do it over again I would probably opt for the Rhythm Watch. A good set of headphones would be a good investment, too.

Practice your lessons at a painfully slow tempo. Work on your accuracy and precision.

That's all I got.

Getting lessons is huge....great to hear you are beginning there.

When I was beginning I used to put some of my favourite bands on through earphones and play along. Rule of thumb with that is that if you can hear the drums on the recording you ain't doing it right, (same goes for the metronome, if you hear it you ain't on time). I put bands on like AC/DC, Nirvana (early stuff), etc....(was in the late 80's). Experiment!

Oh, and use the 'search' function on this site. There is so much great info on here.

Cheers!

Thank you both for being so welcoming,
I have got my self a little metronome now and also a practise pad. I have decided that doing quick 15 - 20 minute blasts of practise then having a break and repeating this throughout the day is my best way of getting the practise in.

I know there are loads of books that have been reviewed but I feel swamped when reading this, can anyone give me a good book that i can work through at my own pace alongside my lessons or am I best just asking my tutor what to go for?

Thanks again

You will hopefully have plenty to work on once the lessons start. Your teacher should give you enough to work on throughout the week, and then some.
Try to stay on task, it will lead to better results. Too many students try to do their own thing and don't see the results they expected, so they quit the instrument.

As Sonny said, play along to your favorite bands (unless is Meshuggah, then you are SOL), its a great way to have fun while playing, and can actually help with timing when you are first starting out.

Enjoy, good luck with the parents and hopefully you develop the lifetime love of the drums that most of us acquired.

i found what I class as a bargin for a second hand drum kit that I have now got set up in my room
Well, do pictures come with that?​
And welcome to Drummerworld.​

I would Google drum lessons, or do the same on Youtube, with the mindset that what you see on line may not fall in line with what your teacher may have to say. so keep an open mind. There are many opinions and since you are paying him, lesson dearly.

Well, do pictures come with that?​
And welcome to Drummerworld.​

Well the drum kit cost me £50 :') (using it to put me on while i'm learning)
https://cd87d2bf-a-62cb3a1a-s-sites.googlegroups.com/site/hobbyhappygbbo00/musical-instruments-1/drums/fortissimo-drum-kits-black/full_size_drum_kit_blue.jpg?attachauth=ANoY7cq_fxl-7clFXvrmvDOr0KGFXlxUOWbB8sPjpEo8nsWurrwzySEoaQJIfPP8S6ghWvArahSZvUYueOa4U7fB_O-0rC_ugF9EYCvuWbA0Q-oJ7WQlFfhkw_1BCZirqooHcONXV0Ennl-ZoIOENvq6HOfsc34yvSxad1YlVTpzTu4CjY37JsLmrIFQQ70WZfsO2TlxjpHFT0POHfRwucRAvahCgiFN_0A-HJ-E7VL7OB17n0UUMP996CICm1bbuJuKOIqJadAULJY2Ts_NwzUStld8ZqnbAnIsVHKnVkmmsbGLiEZO39XrBbkTJivaY5nzkHP1_6uG&attredirects=0

Two of the drums have been re-skined with perl and for the price I paid i believe that they will do the job spot on for practise :)

Thanks for the help guys, i'll wait for my lesson, listen to what he is saying and work like a dog to do my best!

I don't have anything to add other than welcome to the forum :). Glad to have you!

Hi, nice to meet you :)

Books ... I have loads. I even use most of them, as the fancy takes me, but one stands out head and shoulders above all the rest: Stick Control by George L Stone.

I couldn't see your photo, btw, and I'd like to!

Hi, nice to meet you :)

Books ... I have loads. I even use most of them, as the fancy takes me, but one stands out head and shoulders above all the rest: Stick Control by George L Stone.

I couldn't see your photo, btw, and I'd like to!

Thanks again every for the welcome!
IF you click on that link and then the download link the picture appears, I am not sure why it's like that , if i upload it to the forum it is huge! I didn't think it would go down well posting it in that form :')

Back