Ludwig Fan Club

• Thread starter Jusstickinaround
  • Start date
See, people always rip on them, but I love them. I think they look cool, and sound great, but it always comes down to personal preference, and that's all that really matters.

£500 list for a box set? I bought my set for that, individually and they're far, far superior baseline cymbals. They're not to my taste, I will admit that. You are, however, the first forum member I've seen with them.

Zildjian have discontinued them.

I heard them once, I think I would rather spray paint a new set of B8's... Ha had to say it, just my opinion. If you like them who cares.

Yeah, I think it's a cool badge.
Nice shot of it Zam.

I'm glad at least one of my drums has it, if nothing else for nostalgia when I get older.
I don't really ever sell my drums (I have only ever sold 2 snares in 30+ years), so re-sale never enters my mind.
As long as I like the sound of the drum, that's what matters and I could give a crap what badge is on it (Keystone, B/O, B/W etc...), but it's cool to have a snare with the 100th badge on it.

I'm friends w/ Ludwig on Facebook, and I noticed today that they're announcing many new options on the Legacy Classic line. Long classic lugs, new finishes/wraps, more sizes, etc. Now, if they'd just bring the price down a bit, I might be into these drums.

Lots of really nice kits here. Loving the vintage ones, and (obviously) the "retro" newer ones!

Here are my Classics after getting them out of the closet.... with fresh heads and cymbals.

The Supraphonic is stamped November 3rd, 1967.

I ordered the bass and toms (22x16, 13x9, 16x16, 16x16) brand new from Ludwig in June, 1997.

Cymbals are all Istanbul Mehmet: 14" Legend (Mel Lewis) hats, 16" thin crash, 20" Nostalgia crash/ride (would like to rivet), and a 20" medium to round it out.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

IMG_0824.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

snare.jpg

You can see how the color has "deepened" (or yellowed!) after 12 years vs. the newer clear coated maple kits in the thread.

-Ryan

Last edited:
volvoguy......What a sweet kit. It looks so clean and simple too. To borrow a quote from my 2 year old son with tears in his eyes "me want one too"!!!

I apologize for the crap surrounding the kit. My basement is being finished, and there is no carpet in the new drum room. As a result, all of my drum stuff is stuffed into the corner of the living room. Anyway, this is my new pride and joy- I've yet to locate a 14x10 two-headed tom, but the concert does the trick for the time being. This kit is thunderous, and it truly is beautiful! I think I've finally (aside from snares, of course) have enough drums with my 3 ply's, vistas, and now the stainless...maybe

Attachments

• phpyxsD8MPM[1].jpg
    phpyxsD8MPM[1].jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 5,835
Hwy145 what size is that stainless kick? I am assuming it was a converted marching drum. with the Mach lugs looks great. I have a BigBeat in stainless with a 24" kick love to see the stainless. Would you consider putting a bottom head on the concert tom?

Hwy145 what size is that stainless kick? I am assuming it was a converted marching drum. with the Mach lugs looks great. I have a BigBeat in stainless with a 24" kick love to see the stainless. Would you consider putting a bottom head on the concert tom?

The kick is 24x14, and yes, it is a convert. The bolt holes for marching are on the bottom. The kick and floor toms are just about mint, and the concert is well, uh, not. I'm not going to bother with it. I'd rather be patient and find a drum that is appropriately clean, like the other drums. I'm not too patient though, but I'll find it! There was one on ebay a few weeks ago, and my wireless internet (via phone) was down at auction close. I missed it! Funny, it went for a lot less than I was willing to pay!

volvoguy......What a sweet kit. It looks so clean and simple too. To borrow a quote from my 2 year old son with tears in his eyes "me want one too"!!!

Thanks so much! Things were much more complicated when I first got the kit about 12 years ago: with boom stands, splash cymbals, cowbell, and some extra little doodads. After playing around with different set-ups and kits, I found that I could get the sounds I needed (and was after!) out of fewer, but more versatile cymbals... plus, the lazy SOB in me likes not having to cart around so much stuff! :)

-Ryan

Black Sparkle with the small Classic Lugs is going to be my next kit.

I do have a Black kit (Sable Black painted), but it has long lugs so Black Sparkle would be different (good reasoning! :p).

Post more Ludwig kits!

......and that shot of the 100th anni badge makes a GREAT screen saver on my iMac Zam!

I also love the natural and Stainless steel kits posted.

Black Sparkle with the small Classic Lugs is going to be my next kit.

I do have a Black kit (Sable Black painted), but it has long lugs so Black Sparkle would be different (good reasoning! :p).

Sure! That's perfectly reasonable! ;) Black Sparkle would be nice. I'm not crazy about the small classic lugs though, not sure why. I guess I like big, fat, gaudy lugs on my drums.

Post more Ludwig kits!

......and that shot of the 100th anni badge makes a GREAT screen saver on my iMac Zam!

Wait until you see what it's connected to! :)

Here's mine:
Ludwig 1970 3 ply maple, clear maple interior Bonham kit. 26x14/14x10/16x16/16x18. The 14x10 has 6 lugs top and bottom, like Bonham's 1971 recording kit. I refinished the kit myself. I bought a 6 piece kit that had the kick drum and large floor tom and sold the rest piece by piece including hardware, right down to selling individual lugs and internal mufflers. I got more for the remainder of the kit than what I paid for it. All in all, I spent about $900 for the entire kit. Not bad huh? It sounds awesome.

mtnlp1.jpg

Here's my Ludwig Legacy Classic kit. 20x14, 12x8, 14x14, with a Witt Percussion 6.5x14 single ply Mahogany snare.

Attachments

• drum kit.jpg
    drum kit.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 8,051
hi .all a am a new member from lebanon .i like spiral vistalite green red white.i read that the red white blue combination was more common because they are the colors of USA flag.this is a lovely club.........

Here´s my kits. I like em black!

Ludwig B/O Superclassic Black Cortex 70s/80s
Ludwig B/O 3ply Black Panther 70s
Ludwig Vistalite Solid Black 70s
Ludwig 6,5 Supraphonic "new"

If anyone can help me finding out what years my drums are from, please contact me. Any good sites with serialnr guides?

Cheers!

Attachments

• vistalite 3.jpg
    vistalite 3.jpg
    734.1 KB · Views: 5,351
  • vistalite 2.jpg
    vistalite 2.jpg
    735.7 KB · Views: 6,379
  • vistalite 1.jpg
    vistalite 1.jpg
    756.2 KB · Views: 5,383
  • black panther 4.jpg