Show Off Your Tama.....SNARE DRUMS!!!

This snare is pretty plain, if understated in appearance. It's a 1978 Tama fiberstar "black fiberglass" snare drum. I ran across this gem at Donn Bennett's drum studio in Bellvue, Washington. It was sitting in the back on a shelf. He wants something to the tune of $600 for it.

It's one of the most overlooked and underrated snares ever made. It's very loud and cutting, and crisp.

Attachments

• tama fg snare.JPG
    tama fg snare.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 5,011
TAMA Artwood 6.5 x 14 in Custom charcoal finish.... Awesome snare.

SNV33188.jpg

SNV33191.jpg

SNV33189.jpg

I've got the Tama Artwood 5.5" by 14" in the same colour as Phillipe's I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of it.

Great snare.

This is too sexy man.

I have a humble 14x6,5 Rockstar snare. I really love it though, it's the only snare I know :).

Attachments

• Rockstar 287 (Custom).jpg
    Rockstar 287 (Custom).jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 5,207
You guys are going to make me bust out the camera... that's okay. I want some pics of my snares anyway.

Some great looking stuff!!

I had a 6.5 ArtStar Maple snare in the 80's, but it never got the sound I had in my head, so I eventually sold it.

But it was a well made, very nice snare with the cool extended snare system and die cast hoops.

Okay here we go... YES, I know my drums are far too dusty. I didn't notice that until after the pics were taken and the drums were put up.

Mike Portnoy hammered steel 5 x 12 (MP125)
This is a great little snare. Very tight and poppy. I usually crank the heads pretty tight. The dual-setting strainer rocks. But with the head tension I use I also turn the snares off all the way and pound on it like a timbale.

TamaMP125small.JPG

Starclassic Performer Dark Cherry Fade 5.5 x 14
My favorite "all-around" snare I think.

TamaSCP1455asmall.JPG

Vintage 80's Superstar in Cherry Wine 8 x 14
This puppy is in awesome shape.

TamaSuperstar8x14asmall.JPG

Kenny Aronoff Super Piccolo 4 x 15 (KA154)
A hard beast to tame. VERY ringy. I hate to use tape, and I can't find my Moongel pads.

TamaKA154.JPG

(Lousy hosting on GeoCities.)

thanks a lot!!! and they're being played all the time, these two (pics were made after I tuned them!). on our new CD it's only Monarch and Gladiator.

I switched from Remo Amba coated to Aquarian Texture coated half a year ago and have never regreted it for a second!

next is The Pageant, but I'm out of money right now...

Philippe: Is the Simon Monarch bronze loud? How would you describe its sound?? It is sensitive, crisp, or better for loud playing?

All: Are the current Artwood Custom maple snares (7 ply maple) worth the purchase? I'm looking for a good 4x14 maple snare, and the Artwood comes in that size. I snagged a 4x14 SC maple snare off ebay, but the seller burned me: tension rods rusting and the bottom bearing edge has a small dent. The SC 4x14 is also an 8 lug snare for some reason; the Artwood is 10 lug.

Thanks.

I've already shown this snare in another thread but since this one is getting some action...here's my Starclassic Bubinga in Natural Cordia finish, 8x14.

Attachments

• DSC03523.JPG
    DSC03523.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 4,678
  • DSC03537.JPG
    DSC03537.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 4,558
Here are my two Tama snares: Stewart Copeland Signature (first generation--i.e., the throw on this snare differs from the current SC Sigs. in stores now) and 4x14 Starclassic Maple in Piano White lacquer (discontinued size):

(The new Tama SC Bubinga "Indigo Titanium Racing Stripe" finish also looks pretty nice, by the way. Perhaps I'll get a bubinga snare in this finish.)

Attachments

• SCsnare.jpg
    SCsnare.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 4,630
  • sc4x14.jpg
    sc4x14.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4,573
I always dream of getting a piano white SC maple kit. Beautiful finish.

Back