Show us your tiny kits

That is such a great kit and a really interesting idea. I had a Roland V kit for a while but it did nothing for me. You've got to have wood to be a drum!

Here is my entry into the mini kit parade.

16 x 16 Catalina Maple Bass w/conversion kit
10 x 9 Renown Maple tom
4 x 14 Keller Piccolo snare...home made

p.s. if anyone has any tuning tips for a non-ringing bass sound my ears are open. I have a Fibreskin reso and
a pinstripe batter.

man
i just want to do the same thing with my bass
i want an remo ambassador powerstroke
and fiberskyn at the other side,without muffling in it..
will it sound good,i mean does your sounds good now?

I have since built a set with an 18 inch floortom conversion so the 16 is now back to being a floor tom.

Picture064.jpg

Hi,Boomstick!
That's a 12" Tama Swing-Star tom converted to Kick/Tom(self-made kick's pedal bracket).10" Single head snare(cut from 10"tom!)on the left.8" single head tom(right).I change a new covering for all the drums!!

How does the single-headed snare work? Are the snares directly under the batter? How does its sound differ from a normal snare?

Wonder, I agree with Boom. That's a cute cocktail kit. Just need a cowbell or wood block to top it off :)

Hi,Pollyanna!
Ya! your're right! there's a snare-wire attached under the drum's head(Home made snare wire bracket attached to the snare's body!!).This single head snare's sound Fat! Tight! & Clearn! when the music call for,I do have the Cow-bell & wood-block attached on this drum-kits!

Some new pics of my Tama StageStar Jazz kit with my 13 x 5.5 Black Panther Maple snare in black stain and my Agop Jazz cymbals along with my 13 1/4" K Custom Hybrid hats and 11" splash.

Attachments

• 0509001333a.jpg
    0509001333a.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 5,921
  • 0509001333.jpg
    0509001333.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 5,872
  • 0509001332.jpg
    0509001332.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 5,855
  • 0509001334.jpg
    0509001334.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 5,835
  • 0509001332a.jpg
    0509001332a.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 5,818
Looking good Bob!

Looks nice and inviting to just sit down and play from my end :}
Thanks Stan,It is an extremely comfortable kit to play! Even though there is nothing fancy about the Tama drums, they sound great! The Panther snare is also great! Of corse, The Cymbals!!!
The whole kit, cymbals, drums, snare, stands, were all bought used.
The total cost of all pictured, plus an 8x10 tom that isn't shown was about $900. A great sounding low budget Jazzer.
You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot.
I spent about a year waiting for the right deals to appear.

Mine just got smaller ...

The addition of the Zil K Con 19" prototype cymbal gave me a good one cymbal solution for my micro kit.

Supraphonic 400 snare from 1969
Yamaha 16 x16 kick from a Katche Hip Gig kit
Zil New Beat 14" hats
Tama IC pedals

KCon100.jpg

Thanks Stan,It is an extremely comfortable kit to play! Even though there is nothing fancy about the Tama drums, they sound great!
The whole kit, cymbals, drums, snare, stands, were all bought used.
The total cost of all pictured, plus an 8x10 tom that isn't shown was about $900. A great sounding low budget Jazzer.
You don't have to spend a lot to get a lot.
I spent about a year waiting for the right deals to appear.

Great deal and yes i've learned that one too my friend in life { with drums in particular}.

It's the sound that only counts and matters at the end of the day depending on each individual players touch and tuning skills regarding the drums in question and the price paid.

Mine just got smaller ...

The addition of the Zil K Con 19" prototype cymbal gave me a good one cymbal solution for my micro kit.

Supraphonic 400 snare from 1969
Yamaha 16 x16 kick from a Katche Hip Gig kit
Zil New Beat 14" hats
Tama IC pedals

KCon100.jpg

Cool...... I use a very similar setup for gigs in REALLY small rooms Kenny with a custom made for me back in 1990 16" bass drum.

Cool...... I use a very similar setup for gigs in REALLY small rooms Kenny with a custom made for me back in 1990 16" bass drum.

I was inspired seeing a drummer locally one night using a kit about like this one ... and it was amazing what he could do with it ... and how quickly he was packed up and out of the venue.

I'm all for buying used as about 80% of the gear I acquired was used it just takes waiting for the right deal to come along.

It's ashamed they don't make the Yamaha Katche Hip Gig any more great sounding kit for not a lot of $$$

The whole kit is actually pretty small ...

KatcheKittop.jpg

DSCN2503.jpg

Here's my drum set:
DSC00429.jpg

This is a $2 suitcase from Goodwill and a cut-down folding stool.

DSC00430.jpg

Here are the contents of the suitcase.

DSC00433.jpg

Here the cymbals are out showing the hardware underneath.

DSC00435.jpg

The 12" snare, stands, and pedal are from a free First Act kit.

DSC00437.jpg

I screwed a 3" hinge through the case and into a small backing block on the inside. The suitcase is very stable and with the pedal attached it won't go anywhere. Also notice the beater :) I was using a felt beater, but it was too hard. The bass was all attack and no boom. Now, with the tennis ball on there, I get a nice deep boom out of the case.

DSC00439.jpg

The driver's seat. That is a Gibraltar cymbal boom arm inserted into the tom mount from the old bass drum.

DSC00446.jpg

My homemade multi-rods. The whole kit is quiet enough that I can practice anytime.

The great thing is how little room the kit takes up. Plus I can (un)pack in about 5 minutes.

EDIT: Here's a short vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pRVvgzzcJw

Last edited:
Back