INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Real name? Ethan Lawrence
Age? 15, 16 in a couple days
How long have you been playing? 1 1/2 on a real drum set
Origin of user name? my other hobby is model railroading, and 95 is my year of birth
Your top 5 drummers? Lars Ulrich, The Rev (R.I.P),
Make of drumkit? My drum kit: Roland TD4KX, at school: Tama of some sort that's been beat to death by several people over the years
Make of cymbal? Mine: Roland, School: Zildjian
Where do you practice? My bedroom, at school
Are you in a band? The high school jazz band
Do you play covers or originals? covers
What style of music? At home: Rock, Metal and practice jazz for school. School: Jazz, Rock
Favourite take out food? Pizza Hut
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? Model railroading is my main hobby, this is something else I do for fun.
How did you start drumming? Guitar hero (haven't played that in about 2 years) and joined the jazz band at school.

New member from East Tennessee

Hi all, I’m new to the forum and fairly new to Drums. I’d taken a drum class in highschool for a couple years that taught me to basically read sheet music and play on a snare drum. This was about 15 years ago though and I really don’t remember anything I’d learned. I’ve been playing guitar for 3 years now and recently my 8 year old son has really taken a liking to drums so I bought him a pad and some sticks. He’s used it quite a bit but lately he has been listening to music sitting in a chair in front of his bed and playing on the mattress. There is nothing he wants more for Christmas than a drum set so I did a little research and ended up buying him a Gretsch Renegade 5 piece beginner kit that comes with a bass drum, 2 toms, a floor tom, snare, crash & hi hat cymbals. It even comes with a throne so I believe I have everything needed to start playing. I’m really excited for him (and myself as I plan on using them also). Can anyone give me any ideas of some must have accessories? You know, the things that come Christmas morning when I start assembling the kit I’ll wish I had. I plan on also buying covers to muffle the sound for quiet practice and sticks. I already have ear plugs and also ear muffles (Like gun range muffles). Is there anything else I’ll need. Keep in mind this will be our first drum set. I’m not sure if I should have something to tune them with or whatever else. Any ideas are appreciated!! Thanks.

Real name? Neil
Age? 36
How long have you been playing? -13 days. Will start christmas morning, LOL
Origin of user name? Sportbikes!
Your top 5 drummers? Taylor Hawkins, Dave Grohl, John Bonnam
Make of drumkit? Grestch
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Home
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Both
What style of music? Rock, Blues
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? US
One really odd fact about yourself? I won't grow up
How did you start drumming? With my son

Real name? Ram
Age? 15
How long have you been playing? In my head for years, lessons for 4 months, on a real kit Christmas morning.
Origin of user name? My name and my favorite number.
Your top 5 drummers? What the guy above me said, and Bermuda Schwartz.
Make of drumkit? Gretsch
Make of cymbal? Sabian
Where do you practice? Basement
Are you in a band? I wish
Do you play covers or originals?
What style of music?
Favourite take out food? Chipotle is amazing.
What country do you live in? USA
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm a vegetarian.
How did you start drumming? I wanted to play songs that weren't terrible Japanese transcriptions for trumpet of rock songs. I wanted to play what the band was actually playing, I knew my fingers are terrible for guitar, so I chose drums.

Re: New member from East Tennessee

Hey

It sounds like he's pretty much set. I don't know what you could stick in a stocking for him, other than some sticks, a metronome, and maybe an accessory for the kit, such as a cowbell. Just make sure you help him with tuning and setting the kit up to fit his size.

1st drum set + little kid + Christmas = Super excitement and hideous noise

Wow, Ted beat me to the punch, on almost all my stuff.​
Well, once you have someone "established" as a drummer, drum gear and Christmas ... kinda go hand-in-hand. Maybe a video on "how to tune drums". I don't believe in drum gauges and stuff. You tune by listening to the drum.​
A metronome is a cool item to give a drummer. A cowbell and holder. A jingle ring, that mounts on the hi-hat rod. A stick bag. Replacement heads for all the drums, 'cause heads do wear out, and the stock heads that normally come with entry level kits are crap (but hey, burn 'em up, and then replace them). Or, when all else fails, a Guitar Center gift card.​

Thanks for the welcomes and the tips guys. I'll start watching some youtube videos on tuning. I usually get GC gift cards for Christmas that I spend on guitar related items but I forsee this year being different. Looks like replacement heads would be a good investment to start. I'll definately post up some pics on Christmas morning!

Hi there. Hey that's a great gift. The new Renegades look like a nice quality inexpensive option by Gretsch. Let us know how they work out. Post some pics here if you can. Your kid should be ecstatic with his gift.. happy holidays.

Re: Long-time listener, first-time caller

Ha! I love that record ... alas, we weren't good enough to play anyone's songs but our own ;)

Oh, and I'm with ya on the "DW' thing!

OK, your band's gotta start playing songs with "robot" in the title or lyric.

Mr. Roboto by Stx. Now that would be a fun one to see covered. :)

Thanks. I'll definately get some pics on Christmas morning after I get it together. It actually should arrive Fedex any minute!!

Longtime lurker, finally registered!

Hello everyone, I'm 26, from England. I've been playing drums for almost 5 years. I taught myself to play but decided to take lessons as my technique was awful, so just about everything I taught myself was wiped from memory and I started again.

I play traditional grip, and love vintage gear.

Re: Longtime lurker, finally registered!

Hello everyone, I'm 26, from England. I've been playing drums for almost 5 years. I taight myself to play but decided to take lessons as my technique was awful, so just about everything I taught myself was wiped from memory and I started again.

I play traditional grip, and love vintage gear.
Not another guy that likes old looking drums. OH, NO! Just giving you a hard time. Welcome to the site. Don't take anything too serious. Especially my sarcasm. :)

Re: Longtime lurker, finally registered!

Welcome to the forum.

Do you play a vintage kit? Upload some pictures. :)

Back