Tom rhythms

Tbonez

I work production at a very large church every now and then. They hire only top end musicians. One of the things that blows me away about the drummers is how easily they can transition into a Tom rythm, improvise and add feel.

Is anyone out there practicing this stuff and if you are can you make recommendations? I lose all creativity, organization and feel when I try to transition to a strictly Tom based rythm. When I simply move a standard rythm off of the hats or a ride onto the Tom it has no feel.. I've attempted to stretch fills into Tom rythms and it never seems to fit...

Re: Tom rythms

That's probably because we play different things on the toms than we do on cymbals. Tom rhythms (add another "h" in "rhythm", btw) are more geared towards the pulse of the song and the rhythm section than they are straight eighths. Playing straight eighths on a tom sounds silly, usually. The exception is on the floor tom, but usually if I'm doing that I will throw in a quick double-stroke roll on the next-highest or next-lowest tom on the "and" of beat four, to kind of propel the beat into the next bar.

Most times when we are playing in a groove we accent the groove with our right foot on the kick. Think of the the standard rock beat: Boom Chick ba-Boom Chick. Move that "ba" accent (the eighth note before beat three) into the hands somewhere. One way you could do this: Ride eighth notes on the floor tom with your right hand and play the "boom" of beat one, the "ba-boom" into beat three, and the "chick" of beat four on the rack toms with your left hand. That's just an example. There are dozens and dozens more.

Now that you have a rhythm, you need to practice the transition. Use a click if you have one, drill it, and don't tense up in anticipation.

If you don't have a teacher, I recommend getting with one. Not to sound patronizing at all, but this is a common sort of question asked by drummers with less background in the musical theory behind physical actions at the kit. Best of luck to you.

Everything you play is based on what is going on at the time, and without any context, I find it difficult to understand what you are looking for. Is this during a solo or not during a solo? Is it during a lead part or a vocal part? It's such an open ended question that has no specifics.

Watching other drummers succeed in that particular area...gives you a great opportunity to follow their lead. Perhaps you should observe the holy crap out of them and reverse engineer what they are doing so you can understand better for yourself. Just steal their stuff, everyone does it.

Better yet, go up to them, compliment them, and ask specifics.

When I think of strictly tom work, the first thing that pops in my mind is the 3 against 2 stuff, AKA the Bo Diddley pattern, with all it's variations, but I have no clue if this is even close to what you are looking for

Everything you play is based on what is going on at the time, and without any context, I find it difficult to understand what you are looking for. Is this during a solo or not during a solo? Is it during a lead part or a vocal part? It's such an open ended question that has no specifics.

Watching other drummers succeed in that particular area...gives you a great opportunity to follow their lead. Perhaps you should observe the holy crap out of them and reverse engineer what they are doing so you can understand better for yourself. Just steal their stuff, everyone does it.

Better yet, go up to them, compliment them, and ask specifics.

When I think of strictly tom work, the first thing that pops in my mind is the 3 against 2 stuff, AKA the Bo Diddley pattern, with all it's variations, but I have no clue if this is even close to what you are looking for

They are playing it for a single verse and or chorus. It completely changes the feel of the song.

That's probably because we play different things on the toms than we do on cymbals. Tom rhythms (add another "h" in "rhythm", btw) are more geared towards the pulse of the song and the rhythm section than they are straight eighths. Playing straight eighths on a tom sounds silly, usually. The exception is on the floor tom, but usually if I'm doing that I will throw in a quick double-stroke roll on the next-highest or next-lowest tom on the "and" of beat four, to kind of propel the beat into the next bar.

Most times when we are playing in a groove we accent the groove with our right foot on the kick. Think of the the standard rock beat: Boom Chick ba-Boom Chick. Move that "ba" accent (the eighth note before beat three) into the hands somewhere. One way you could do this: Ride eighth notes on the floor tom with your right hand and play the "boom" of beat one, the "ba-boom" into beat three, and the "chick" of beat four on the rack toms with your left hand. That's just an example. There are dozens and dozens more.

Now that you have a rhythm, you need to practice the transition. Use a click if you have one, drill it, and don't tense up in anticipation.

If you don't have a teacher, I recommend getting with one. Not to sound patronizing at all, but this is a common sort of question asked by drummers with less background in the musical theory behind physical actions at the kit. Best of luck to you.

Very interesting information..Thanks! I will work this out around the kit today. I do have a teacher but I have been focusing my lesson times on recording, playing back etc..

One quick question..Did you learn this or was it a natural instinct? How are you guys figuring this stuff out?

Last edited:

You have to feel it. If you approach it from an intellectual standpoint, it probably will sound too clinical. The rhythm needs to be felt to translate correctly. I think it's safe to say that this applies across the board. You have to feel it.

If you're not feeling it, don't despair. It can be learned. You have to develop a new skill if you aren't feeling it now. If you are feeling it and it just doesn't come out right...that's probably the easier problem. Feeling something you just don't feel right now takes a little more dedication and devotion.

Very interesting information..Thanks! I will work this out around the kit today. I do have a teacher but I have been focusing my lesson times on recording, playing back etc..

One quick question..Did you learn this or was it a natural instinct? How are you guys figuring this stuff out?

I learned it. Do you have a tom rhythm in mind from a particular song? Then listen and, if possible, watch the video to see what the drummer is doing, then practice the bejeebus out of it. You could also ask your teacher to break the pattern down for you. Often these tom rhythms are simple single stroke stickings, and the only complexity is the subdivisions and the physicality of moving hands to different toms.

Larry mentioned the Bo Diddley beat. Many common tom rhythms are variations on this timeless pattern, and that is an excellent place to begin. If you aren't familiar with it, it's basically a 3:2 clave (ba baaa ba, bum bum). Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley#The_Bo_Diddley_beat

Comp that a little bit on a single drum with one hand, then with two. Then start filling in other places between the clave, or switch notes between the drums. For example, you could place the first three notes of the clave on three descending toms, then the last two on the snare; or backwards, while keeping steady four on the kick. Maybe you are ringing out eighths on the ride cymbal bell while playing the clave with the left hand as described above. Maybe the right hand is playing those eighths on the floor tom. See where I'm coming from?

Larry is correct in that if you are not feeling it, you need to practice it for feel. Best to start simply, as I said, with one drum, even with one hand. Make that clave feel natural. Play along to a song that features the Bo Diddley, if possible. I personally find it hard to get all the feel without music to play along with, whether in my headset or with other musicians. Then practice some more. Remember what I mentioned before, if you are transitioning out of something on hats or ride into the tom piece, feel it, don't tense up "omigod omigod hereitcomes hereitcomes ogod ogod" -- best recipe for a train wreck ever. Practice helps with that.

I learned it. Do you have a tom rhythm in mind from a particular song? Then listen and, if possible, watch the video to see what the drummer is doing, then practice the bejeebus out of it. You could also ask your teacher to break the pattern down for you. Often these tom rhythms are simple single stroke stickings, and the only complexity is the subdivisions and the physicality of moving hands to different toms.

Larry mentioned the Bo Diddley beat. Many common tom rhythms are variations on this timeless pattern, and that is an excellent place to begin. If you aren't familiar with it, it's basically a 3:2 clave (ba baaa ba, bum bum). Check it out here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bo_Diddley#The_Bo_Diddley_beat

Comp that a little bit on a single drum with one hand, then with two. Then start filling in other places between the clave, or switch notes between the drums. For example, you could place the first three notes of the clave on three descending toms, then the last two on the snare; or backwards, while keeping steady four on the kick. Maybe you are ringing out eighths on the ride cymbal bell while playing the clave with the left hand as described above. Maybe the right hand is playing those eighths on the floor tom. See where I'm coming from?

Larry is correct in that if you are not feeling it, you need to practice it for feel. Best to start simply, as I said, with one drum, even with one hand. Make that clave feel natural. Play along to a song that features the Bo Diddley, if possible. I personally find it hard to get all the feel without music to play along with, whether in my headset or with other musicians. Then practice some more. Remember what I mentioned before, if you are transitioning out of something on hats or ride into the tom piece, feel it, don't tense up "omigod omigod hereitcomes hereitcomes ogod ogod" -- best recipe for a train wreck ever. Practice helps with that.

Really great advice..I have practiced the 3:2 and the 2:3..I've honestly never thought about putting it into a Tom rythm, however. I will practice that around the kit and see if I can make it fit. I will also see if I can make it fit in a musical sense. You would make a great teacher if you aren't already.

You have to feel it. If you approach it from an intellectual standpoint, it probably will sound too clinical. The rhythm needs to be felt to translate correctly. I think it's safe to say that this applies across the board. You have to feel it.

If you're not feeling it, don't despair. It can be learned. You have to develop a new skill if you aren't feeling it now. If you are feeling it and it just doesn't come out right...that's probably the easier problem. Feeling something you just don't feel right now takes a little more dedication and devotion.

Good advice as well..I'm still trying to learn the feel of stuff like the purdie shuffle long after I locked in the technical stuff. It comes naturally to some but it's a never ending battle to me..I'm also pretty hard on myself soothe truth lies somewhere in between.

Really great advice..I have practiced the 3:2 and the 2:3..I've honestly never thought about putting it into a Tom rythm, however. I will practice that around the kit and see if I can make it fit. I will also see if I can make it fit in a musical sense. You would make a great teacher if you aren't already.

I am, but of English as a Second Language =)

Anything you do anywhere on the kit, with any limb, can be moved to another place or another limb, given enough practice. Go back to the simplest components of rudiments -- the single and double stroke -- and explore where substituting a double for a single on any limb or any drum gets you. The tom rhythms usually are something that would seem simple played on one drum, like a snare, split up between multiple drums.

Take a paradiddle, for example. LRLL, RLRR. Put your left stick on tom 1, right stick on tom 2, play the first paradiddle LRLL. Them move so that left stick hits tom 2 and right stick hits floor tom. RLRR. Now one added wrinkle: dot the first note of each paradiddle and turn the odd stroke into a sixteenth note. It'll sound really cool and difficult but only you will know it's just a paradiddle.

Experiment. Move your hands to funky places and just play stickings and rudiments without worrying where your hands are; then remember how you did it.

listen to some famous tom groove songs, those help a ton. Try sing sing sing, by the Benny Goodman orchestra, Come Together by the Beatles, sunshine of your love by Cream, and howlin' for you by the Black Keys. That will give you a good idea of basic tom grooves. Also the band The Black Angels uses a lot of floor tom grooves.

I love the boogaloo toms on some of the latest Macy's commercials on TV. All their commercials with the big band have a really cooking soundtrack to them.

Great advice in this thread. I'll just throw my 2 cents into in for what it's worth.

I had to recently work in a section into a new song with direct tom fills played over piano stabs, so the drums become the melody instrument. I started by playing the melody, or more so suggesting the melody on the toms and throwing a few sped up runs in there to make it a little more interesting.

The best advice I have received recently as I've been working on my jazz drumming is to listen. If you can sing the melody then you can play it.

As an old Osibisa fan I love tom rhythms, or as Teddy Osei would say "Criss-cross rhythms ... explode with happiness! Yeah!". Paradiddle variations on the toms are lots of fun.

You need to be careful not to intrude on the bass player's territory. In one old band a critic described us as having a touch of "dirge" about everything we did. Since critics usually know tons about lyrics and image and almost nothing about music he probably didn't realise that the "dirge" would have been due to my tom playing, which was overloading the bottom end at times. Even ignoramuses can get it right at times.

Keys players also step on the bassist's territory when they mechanistically play with two hands like when they're at home.

This is a brilliant thread - everything I always wanted to know, but was afraid to ask!

Remember what I mentioned before, if you are transitioning out of something on hats or ride into the tom piece, feel it, don't tense up "omigod omigod hereitcomes hereitcomes ogod ogod" -- best recipe for a train wreck ever. Practice helps with that.

It can be difficult NOT to do something: "Mustn't tense up, mustn't tense up" often leads to exactly what I want to avoid doing! Doing something positive which prevents the unwanted behaviour can be a lot easier, such as "Sit up straight" rather than "Don't slouch". When I'm coming up to a tricksy bit, I make myself smile. Instant endorphin release (I'm easily fooled) AND it helps me lighten up and not take the tricksy bit too seriously if it goes wrong. If it goes well, I'm already smiling - which I think is pretty damn efficient!

Also, dynamics are mega important here.

Most toms have a different tone when hit harder. If you set the base dynamic low and then throw in an accent you will start to create a groove. Practice on just two toms, get a loud click going and just jam along. It is helpful to maintain a sense of 4/4 or whatever the time signature is so the rest of the band know where you are.

Hitting snare and floor tom on beat 4 each bar is an example.

Davo

The most tom based album I know is Lateralus by tool. I learned a few cool things from that album. I agree it's hard to hear exactly what drummers are doing when they're playing tribal stuff/tom beats, and so it's a bit hard to learn by ear.

It can be difficult NOT to do something: "Mustn't tense up, mustn't tense up" often leads to exactly what I want to avoid doing! Doing something positive which prevents the unwanted behaviour can be a lot easier, such as "Sit up straight" rather than "Don't slouch". When I'm coming up to a tricksy bit, I make myself smile. Instant endorphin release (I'm easily fooled) AND it helps me lighten up and not take the tricksy bit too seriously if it goes wrong. If it goes well, I'm already smiling - which I think is pretty damn efficient!

Excellent advice. I have found that the key to not tensing up, myself, is confidence and a concentration on remaining relaxed. The place tension takes place (for me) is in chest and shoulders, as well as in my grip. I will actually practice going into a fill I know tenses me up (Bonzo's triplet 16ths down the toms in "Trampled Under Foot" comes to mind) while consciously trying to relax those areas of my body.

The most tom based album I know is Lateralus by tool. I learned a few cool things from that album. I agree it's hard to hear exactly what drummers are doing when they're playing tribal stuff/tom beats, and so it's a bit hard to learn by ear.

You are exactly right; a lot of tom rhythms sound like mud to the audience. I have found two things that help: crisp, distinct strokes -- don't get lazy just because you *know* the rhythm is less distinct -- and not detuning and muffling your toms all to heck.

I think patterns with some sort of double stroke in them sound better on toms. It can sound really clunky if you use only single strokes. Accents are also important when playing on toms to give it some feel.

Also, larger toms have less articulation of the notes and its easy to sound muddy.

Back