Stupid things drunk people do at gigs

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Inspired by the sitting on your bass drum thread..Drunk party goers really make the world go round, right? One time the guest of honor grabs the mic and starts drunk screaming into it. Blew the tweeter on the one side.

Stooopid!

Only once did a guy sit at my set uninvited. At a nice bar in Philly. Claimed he knew the guitarist and played with him. That didn't check out. So we told him that we didn't know him and he needs to get off the stage. He reluctantly went away saying something racist and generally not liking the situation. I never saw him before.

I have quite a bit of the jumping onstage and singing into the mic thing. Have had my fare share of drunk guy standing at the front of the stage screaming obscure songs he wants us to play. Had a guy puke into one of our monitors (oh wait, that was the guitarist). Had a guy jump onstage between sets and proceed to knock over the guitars and a couple of cymbal stands.

We used to invite girls from the crowd to come onstage and dance with us. One such girl took her top off. Probibly the highlight of my musical career.

1) Drunk fat boy, showing off his dance moves -- lost it and did a face plant directly into the band. knocked over one PA speaker, singers mic stand (nearly knocking his teeth out), guitar amp, pedals went flying everywhere -- noone injured (luckily), no equipment broken (again, luckily). Fat boy's friends took up a nice collection to to tip the band and the venue gave us a little extra taste as well... Still, hope that never happens again.

2) Great crowd crowding the stage... relatively hot, drunk chick stands directly in front of bass player grooving on the tunes... after a few minutes she gets a glazed look in her eyes, bends over and power-pukes all over his pedals/feet. PRICELESS!! - once again, no damage done... we all still talk about it to this day (happened about 6 years ago)

Peace,
Mike
www.natemyers.com

Stooopid!

OMG Mikeyboyee, milk is coming out my nose!

Well, we've had drunk dancers knock over one of the PA towers. Luckily the only damage was cosmetic. I have had people dancing onstage trip on the kick mic boom and knock it over. (One of the reasons I went to an internal mic) The guitarist had someone trip on the cable to his POD, sending it flying out into the dance floor. I have had someone knock a crash cymbal over (wood stage - amazingly it didn't even ding the edge) and I had someone puke on my ride cymbal, just a little bit. Most of it missed.

My favorite was a girl who was playing tambourine. She came up onto the drum riser and put her arms around me, then sat down beside me and held on to me, leaning against me as I tried not to screw up. It was damnably hard to play, but she was gorgeous and very friendly.

Oh, and just Tuesday night I was told I was the best f@*king guitar player this guy had ever heard. That's no small accomplishment when you are playing a drum kit, let me tell you...

Not a gig, but a guys-only-jam-weekend. This guy sits at my kit, flails at the drums and immediately drops a stick. He bends over and tips off the throne in slow motion, ending up between the hats and the snare stand - without knocking anything over! No damage done, except for a strange rug-burn on his forehead.

Oh wait... that was me.

On the flip-side, you can't totally appreciate your kit until you see its underbelly.

If there is a tip jar, drunkenly picking it up and harassing audience members "cuzzz, dang man (hiccup) these guys are ahhzzzum"

Playing blues-rock one night, I had a drunken gentleman tell me over and over for an hour that I was a "great" drummer, but if I had a double pedal, it would really take my playing to the "next level".

I finally got away from him and a bit later heard a huge ruckus coming from my drum kit. Drunk advice boy was "playing" my kit bashing the hell out of everything literally as hard as he could. Cracked a crash, and actually bent my bass drum pedal shaft about 20 degrees back in the 45 seconds it took me to go get him away from my stuff. Had to get a new beater and get rid of the crash. No re-reimbursement, of course.

The common I used to get was from pick up gigs. I'd get a call "emergency, we need a drummer tonight..." So you go down to some bar, set up and notice there are some people drinking at the bar. You do your 4 sets. Get your cash, tear down. The same people are sitting at the bar.

They inevitably come over "oh man, you guys were great! You were so tight, you must rehearse all the time!" meanwhile I'm thinking "uh, I've never met anyone else in the band until right before we went on." ha.

Mostly, just the girls taking their tops off and the guys being too forward with the women. Between sets, the cougars flock to me in droves--probably because I like to give them all "the eye" while playing. It's a fun little game, and alcohol definitely makes it all possible.

Alcohol affects hearing. I know this for a fact because no matter how terrible the set was, there's always one bloke stumbling up to the stage: "You guysh wer (hic) awwwzum!"

The gig was a booze cruise with a couple hundred BC students in Boston Harbor: always a treat. Coming back in at the end of the night, gear all packed and ready to offload down the aft gangway- which was only closed off by a chain across the gunwales, not by a solid door-like structure. Falling-down-drunk guy goes to the rail to hurl as we are maneuvering alongside, and in so doing, knocks my kick drum case (with my kick drum in it, of course) over the side. To add insult to injury, he then proceeds to *comprehensively hose it down* with the contents of his stomach as it is bobbing in the drink. Stumble, urp, splash, blurgh, splat. Argh.

Luckily, I was using the most absurd overkill drum cases going at the time, so it just floated alongside until I could snag a handle with a boathook, roll it over a couple of times to rinse off the smegma, and haul it back aboard- with a final freshwater rinse from the deck hose. Not a drop of water got on the drum.

I retired those cases because of the weight, but I still have 'em, just in case I ever need to do serious extended roadwork again. Military surplus Zero Halliburton deep-drawn aluminum, hermetically sealed with gaskets: they paid for themselves many times over, but _especially_ that night.... I shudder to think what might have happened with a cheap fiber case or a soft bag like I use nowadays- or worse, no case at all like some folks do.

Pix of that case below, as it is today. It was worth its weight in gold for that duty. The old label that is peeling off is from my old sound company, and says "Just because this equipment is already beaten all to s$%t doesn't mean you can finish it off." Words to live by!

Attachments

• IMG_1332s.jpg
    IMG_1332s.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 934
Last edited:
I've forgotten more than I remember but for sure drunk women removing clothes.

I remember when I was gigging with a Country band, one guy kept throwing each of us in the band $50.00 bills to play a certain song. I raked it in pretty good that night..... I wish I could remember what song it was but it was too long ago.

There's plenty more I'm sure if I thought about it though I spent a great deal many more years playing private parties/corporate events and for the most part that type of thing was more than rare to happen.

My fav is at the country bars that have line dancing and mechanical bull riding.The kind of place that has two kinds of music...country and western.

The two bi- curious drunk college chicks both get up on the bull...facing each other,while riding said bull at a very slow speed.Set up a tip jar and ask for requests....and wait for the fun to begin..............priceless.Yippee ki yay partner.

Tonto think he like Kemosabe.

Yeah I've had the occasional drunken drummer asking "can I jammmmm with you guyssh"

I politely tell them no,and thank them for thier interest,but we pretty much filled the drum spot tonight.I then ask where his band is playing so I can get drunk and jam with them.

That usually drives Ringo away for the night.

Steve B

I played a gig a few years ago and kept getting harassed by two drunks that wanted me to give them drumsticks. They were totally smashed and told me (barely could speak) that they just came from a Tesla concert. They kept shouting throughout our last set that "Tesla Rules."

I finally relented about the drumsticks and singed a pair of drumsticks for them that read:

"thanks for the support, your pal Troy Lucketta."

They were so smashed, they could not see straight or much less walk. I like to think they have those sticks displayed somewhere. LOL.

Long time ago ... a guy knocked over a mounted Bose PA speaker after we finished playing and the speaker landed on our singer's flute, bending it into a V shape. The next week she brought a new song she'd written - Bent Out of Shape.

To be fair, the guy was concussed as well as drunk. Before the gig he'd been struck by a beer spill tray hurled by the wife of one of his mates (his mate had ducked). They bandaged him up in the mens' toilet and from there he really got into the beer.

Another memorable one - a bikie taken to hospital after eating his beer glass (and obviously didn't get his Jim Rose Circus glass chewing technique together). That night another bikie was doing rollovers on the dance floor with his pants down, doing serial moons as his bum rolled back on top.

Playing at a campground, hot drunk girl who has been dancing around in her short-shorts and tank top decides to join the band on stage. She steps on some guitar cables and f***s up the sound system, made a terrible noise we thought was the end of our rig. Then, she gets up behind me dancing, putting her... chest, we'll call it :)... in my back and doing her thing.

After the show, the guitarist's wife says to a friend of mine, "I bet Larry just wants to get home and take a shower after getting that slut's boob sweat all over him."

Heh. Yeah.

Playing blues-rock one night, I had a drunken gentleman tell me over and over for an hour that I was a "great" drummer, but if I had a double pedal, it would really take my playing to the "next level".

I finally got away from him and a bit later heard a huge ruckus coming from my drum kit. Drunk advice boy was "playing" my kit bashing the hell out of everything literally as hard as he could. Cracked a crash, and actually bent my bass drum pedal shaft about 20 degrees back in the 45 seconds it took me to go get him away from my stuff. Had to get a new beater and get rid of the crash. No re-reimbursement, of course.

Cheezus! That's worse than sitting on the bass drum for sure. At least he complimented your drumming.

Hows this- not drunk, but hung over/tired and the other side of the tracks. I can't remember the band/guitarists name, tho he had an fx pedal which he could step on and short the houses fuse box.

Playing some dive, the band tired/hungover, no people... in the middle of a solo guitar player would step on the pedal and pop a breaker. Band would get a break as staff would take 30-45 min figuring out what had happened, look for the fuse box etc.

Back