Gretsch Renown Maple in Autumn Burst

Dalton M

[EDIT]: Gig pics up post 29!

Hi all.

I'm really excited to say that I've got my kit set up perfectly for me now. If you view my recent posts, I have been whining about tone and set up, and how I was having problems with these things, but I think I've finally got the kit right where I want it; physically and sonically.

The heads are Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear with 3 exceptions:
- 8" is G1 coated over G1 clear
- 10" is G2 over Clear Ambassador (because Sam Ash ran out of 10" G1s),
- Snare is ST Dry over the stock DW head (which needs a changing pretty badly).

I found this kit on craigslist for only the shells and a snare stand (no snare drum included) for $785, but I had to drive about 4 hours to get it. I'm still happy with my decision though!

Drum Specs:
- 20x22 virgin bass drum
- 7x8 tom
- 8x10 tom
- 9x12 tom
- 14x14 floor tom
- 5x14 DW Collector's Series Black over Brass Snare Drum
- 5x13 Tama Stagestar Snare (nice aux snare)

Cymbal Specs:
- 8" K splash
- 14" K/A hi hats
- 16" Medium Thin crash
- 17" K Custom Hybrid crash
- 19" K Custom Hybrid crash
- 20" A Medium ride
- 18" B8 Pro China

Anyway, here are the pics, taken right before I packed them up to play a show later that day. It was so nice outside, and I wanted to see how the finish would look in proper light. I'll have some gig pics up later too. Enjoy!

RenownMaple9.jpg

RenownMaple7.jpg

RenownMaple3.jpg

RenownMaple1.jpg

RenownMaple5.jpg

RenownMaple8.jpg

RenownMaple2.jpg

RenownMaple4.jpg

RenownMaple6.jpg

:D

Last edited:
For a four hour drive you did very well. Like my Cherry Burst set, the deals are out there if you just look and be patient. I drove an hour and a half waited an hour then drove an hour and a half back. Anyway, they look great and you will be happy for a long time. Good deal.
Nice Mustang too.

For a four hour drive you did very well. Like my Cherry Burst set, the deals are out there if you just look and be patient. I drove an hour and a half waited an hour then drove an hour and a half back. Anyway, they look great and you will be happy for a long time. Good deal.
Nice Mustang too.

Thanks man. I'm finding myself in the "I need a 16" tom now" phase too, but I'm not gonna rush anything. Haha, and yeah, the Mustang is my dad's, but maybe I'll inherit it eventually...?

If you saw my post I bought a 16 x 16 Catalina Club from eBay. The color is too close to notice. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

Great looking kit! I use the same heads on mine. I think they work the best.
Congrats.

I know. I haven't had time to experiment with many different heads, but I really like the tone I'm getting out of them.

Man I really love your finish. Those metallic flakes look really cool under lights. I played that configuration in a studio once, and it sounded great too.

I know. I haven't had time to experiment with many different heads, but I really like the tone I'm getting out of them.

Man I really love your finish. Those metallic flakes look really cool under lights. I played that configuration in a studio once, and it sounded great too.

Thanks man. I tried a few different combos on my renowns, and the g2 over g1 combo pretty much owned. Again congrats.

Thanks man. I'm finding myself in the "I need a 16" tom now" phase too, but I'm not gonna rush anything. Haha, and yeah, the Mustang is my dad's, but maybe I'll inherit it eventually...?

Yeah i was looking at that car too, a lot of people have them in the states (that was sort of the original point of the car) but today here in the UK i saw one of these driving past us in the street and we were just like "whoa! Look at that!"

The kit looks masterful, like the leapord pillow as well. I used to have a lion king pillow in my kick!

Yeah, here in the US a Mustang is pretty much almost a common-sight. The Mini Cooper population seems to be growing though. Man I love those cars haha. And it's actually a giraffe pillow, but same thing.

Thanks.

My mom is obsessed with giraffes, and that pillow is a perfect bass pillow, so I am now using it.

Beautiful! I'd love to take mine outside for a photoshoot one day.

Yeah, here in the US a Mustang is pretty much almost a common-sight. The Mini Cooper population seems to be growing though. Man I love those cars haha. And it's actually a giraffe pillow, but same thing.

It's quite funny actually how the cooper isn't actually a highly produced model of the mini, but it's the one everybody automatically thinks of, especially with the flag on the roof. I saw an old mini the other day too, you'd be surprised how little you actually see the old ones these days. It's sad really because the new ones are plentiful but they're made by BMW, the british car industry has pretty much died apart from some little shed builders. We make great cars but we just can't seem to run a good auto making business.

$785??? Not only did you get a deal, but a stunning kit! That fourth photo is PERFECT, what a nice kit...not only that, but amazing cymbals too!

Wow! What a Beautiful Set indeed...

I'm a Ludwig fan/user, but YOUR Renown's in Autumn Burst
sure Looks Awesome ...Congrats on your new kit!

Best,
Chazz

The smile on your face says it all.

Nice looking kit there, for sure.

I'm also a member of the "I drove a really long way to get my drums" club. 4 hours there and 4 hours back. Well worth it when you get something that will bring you a lifetime of happiness!

Back