Our 'Other' Drums

I wish I could sleep on my bed like this...
339259065.jpg

339259031.jpg

339258969.jpg

339258941.jpg

339258910.jpg

339258861.jpg

339258730.jpg

339258752.jpg

Could someone tell me that this thing is called?
339258884.jpg

I really should stop referring to it as "That spinny thingy with the little doodads that hit the heads"

Man, you could open a shop with all the bits and pieces you have there. Nice collection.

This is my Bodhran with tippers, and two pairs of bones. When I first got my Bodhran I thought "this should be easy to play. I mean, it's a drum. I'm a drummer." WRONG! What a learning curve these instruments have been, and so much fun to play once you get the basic hang of them, especially a few pints of Guinness!
If you're not familiar with how the Bodhran and bones are played/sound, have a look on youtube. There are some brilliant players there.

Attachments

• 100_0870.jpg
    100_0870.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 4,885
Hello

Here are some of my Drumskull African drums:

Very Back: Guinea Extra Large Dununba Melina Wood
Back: Guinea Congas - Quinto, Conga Hare Wood (Tumba is out of picture)
Middle: Guinea Djembe Djalla Wood, Guinea Djembe Lenke Wood
Front: Guinea Djembe Lenke Wood, Guinea Bugarabu Hare Wood

If you are looking for professional quality African drums, check out Drumskull; they are pricy but they are the very best.

GJS

Attachments

• Drumskull 2 vs20%.jpg
    Drumskull 2 vs20%.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 4,815
Last edited:
Hello

Here are some of my frame drums I have picked up during my travels:

Tar and bendir frame drums from Kuwait and Morocco
Mazhar from Egypt
Kanjira from India
Cooperman/Velez Tar, Bendir and Mediterrasian Tambourine from USA
Daf from Bahrain

I believe that kit drummers benefit and develop when they play other types of drums (e.g. hand drums and frame drums for example). Frame drums are nice and relatively quiet instruments to play.

For an excellent example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTaehZN2xL4&feature=related

GJS

Attachments

• Frame Drums may 2008 043 20%.jpg
    Frame Drums may 2008 043 20%.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 4,739
I recently bought a Djembe:

1zwg7eq.jpg

It's a relatively cheap one. But it sounds good! It has a very nice focused bass sound. Though there is a flaw in the bearing edge, I'll get that looked after if I need to replace the head some day. the tone is about a semitone higher near the dent in the bearing edge and across from it.

Here is a pic of my dumbek. She is a remo. A dumbek is pretty much the same as a djembe but just smaller. I got her for either my 10th or 11th bday. Umm... the pic is to big so go to my album to view my dumbek.

I just took everything out of the "drum room" cleaned and painted. I painted a Gretsch Harlequin Sun Amber Gloss finish (from Gretsch's New For 2009 catalog) design on one wall. I took the catalog into HomeDepot building supply and they scanned it and mixed me up some paint. I still have some work to do in there - shelves and mouldings. So I just have some of my Valje drums and a Toad Conga in there for now. They sound soooo good in that room right now! I may put my RotoToms and Metalephone in there as well.

Here's the room as of today...........sorry about the practice pad on the SuperTumba. Actually I've been playing (not with the sticks) the congas and leaving the pad on there and it makes a huge bass tone!

The Gretsch drum is my latest addition - eBay last month (I've posted elseware here). It's a 1949 (my birthyear) Renown Mahogany Parade drum. I cleaned it up - I didn't restore because did not want to mess with the badge.

Attachments

• drm rm M Sep 3 09 (4).JPG
    drm rm M Sep 3 09 (4).JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 4,384
  • GR49 MSEP5.jpg
    GR49 MSEP5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 4,393
One of my percussion bags sits open on the floor in case I need another sound.

IMGP5338.jpg

Meinl cajon.

cajon2.jpg

Bodhran.

bodhran.jpg

con1.jpg

An incredible gourd cuica.

con3.jpg

Back