Mark Guiliana

His playing on the Avishai Cohen Trio album At Home is also stellar. There are seemingly impossible things happening in some of those songs. I saw them play many of those songs on tour for that album, and he did all the impossible stuff live. Still not sure how. He is on a different level, especially with independence. Also he said in the MD interview that his hi hats were $10 at a garage sale. ;). Gives a bit of a different tone.

One of my new favorite drummers. His work on Cohens Continuo album is awesome!

I'm such a huge Mark Guiliana fan!
I also studied a bit with him. If anyone interested, I did a couple transcriptions of some grooves and licks at http://www.drumlessonland.com/mark-guiliana.html

I also did a shreds video of him (lol!) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGP_BWnhMiU

I really urge everyone to check out his new CD "Beat Music" once it becoems available online. I have the physical copy but not sure when it'll be up for download.

Hey Numberless. How did you get hold of that album. Ive searched the net and cant find anywhere to buy it? Cheers

I don't get this cat, nor the people who enjoy his playing. Extremely verbose, spastic groove that doesn't feel good at all, random phrases that make little sense, always on top of the beat. He sounds exactly like someone who'd like to outplay an electronic percussion track. It sounds forced and "tryhard".

To me he's a discount Chris Dave. But then again I'm a nobody so it's not like it matters.

The resurrection of this thread led me to read it from the beginning and, wow, it's trippy to go back to the days when he was only really starting to break through to a wider audience.

I don't get this cat, nor the people who enjoy his playing. Extremely verbose, spastic groove that doesn't feel good at all, random phrases that make little sense, always on top of the beat. He sounds exactly like someone who'd like to outplay an electronic percussion track. It sounds forced and "tryhard".

To me he's a discount Chris Dave. But then again I'm a nobody so it's not like it matters.
I have a friend who calls him " Skittles", because he sounds like you're pouring a bag of skittles on a drum set.

For what it's worth, it doesn't move me emotionally, so I don't much get into it. I really don't care how or what somebody plays, I care whether it affects me or not. Maybe not quite as harsh a reaction as you, but...

Last edited:
Back