in honor of Tony Williams birthday ...

Yeah! Thanks a gazillion for posting this! Beautiful!

I worked this one out to and hope you don't mind me stealing a couple of your sticking patterns towards the end.

Yeah! Thanks a gazillion for posting this! Beautiful!

I worked this one out to and hope you don't mind me stealing a couple of your sticking patterns towards the end.

of course brother...I'm curious as to which patterns you liked

I'm pretty sure Tony played that one lick where it goes floor, snare , rack, with the kicks in between with one hand......but I just went at it with 2....probably would have sounded better single handed

I just used the stickings that came naturally

I actually never played this solo until this morning ..... I've listened to it a million times over many years...but never actually tried to play it

so this morning in honor of Tonys B day I figured I never post vids so I'll throw one together real quick....probably too quick....hahaha

so ...no transcription, no metronome , just listened and tried to emulate what I thought Tony played and mixed it with what felt comfortable

I'm glad you dig it Dave

cool to have you back anthony. some sweet soloing going on!

Sweet! That's great, Anthony! You are a wonderful ambassador for Tony's legacy.

Thanks for sharing that Anthony! I'm going to work on that this weekend.

I don't know my jazz but I really felt that, you nailed it. Love that ride too.

Sweet! That's great, Anthony! You are a wonderful ambassador for Tony's legacy.

wow...thats a pretty wonderful thing to say
but I'm afraid I'm not quite worthy

Thanks for sharing that Anthony! I'm going to work on that this weekend.

nice!
loads of fun .
I just kind of winged it by ear.
what you see and hear is the first take.
....I probably should have done a few more ;)

I don't know my jazz but I really felt that, you nailed it. Love that ride too.

thank you brother.
...and that ride is a Zildjian K Constantinople 22" medium thin low

the iphone recording does it zero justice...it's a gorgeous piece of equipment

Ants!

I would recognize that solo if you tried to hide it as a phrase inside a different solo! I was coming here to post a thread about Tony's birthday and not only have you beat me to the punch, but I'm greeted with this awesome performance.

Tremendous job, my man. You nailed the solo and the spirit of it perfectly. I would have expected nothing less.

Oh, and the K sounds DELICIOUS.

Ants!

I would recognize that solo if you tried to hide it as a phrase inside a different solo! I was coming here to post a thread about Tony's birthday and not only have you beat me to the punch, but I'm greeted with this awesome performance.

Tremendous job, my man. You nailed the solo and the spirit of it perfectly. I would have expected nothing less.

Oh, and the K sounds DELICIOUS.

damn dude!!

you tryin to make a brotha cry????

:)

seriously though....that means the world to me my man....thank you

....and if the iphone mic wasn't distorting that K you may actually shed a tear....it's ridiculous

I'm pretty sure Tony played that one lick where it goes floor, snare , rack, with the kicks in between with one hand......but I just went at it with 2....probably would have sounded better single handed

Thanks for sharing that video.

I love that record. I'm still trying to take it all in.

I loved your solo; very impressive. You're light years ahead of me.

Is that lick you're talking about a typical Tony lick? I remember Steve Smith mentioning a lick like that on the "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" DVD. I don't have access to it right now but I wonder if he was referring to Tony Williams during that part.

Thanks for sharing that video.

I love that record. I'm still trying to take it all in.

I loved your solo; very impressive. You're light years ahead of me.

Is that lick you're talking about a typical Tony lick? I remember Steve Smith mentioning a lick like that on the "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants" DVD. I don't have access to it right now but I wonder if he was referring to Tony Williams during that part.

not sure if it's a "typical" Tony lick....but he does play patterns like that quite a bit in solos

I love that DVD

Steve has such a great grasp on Tonys whole thing.....and can do the most amazing Tony impressions on the kit

it was a pleasure to be able to spend a week with Steve and pick his brain on his opinions of guys like Tony and Billy Cobham

he can talk about those guys for days and not tire

I just used the stickings that came naturally

This is exactly the part. I've always played that section with one hand. As crazy as it sounds, I'm not even sure I tried alternating the hands.

This is exactly the part. I've always played that section with one hand. As crazy as it sounds, I'm not even sure I tried alternating the hands.

I'm not sure what made me play it alternating

thats just kind of what came out ......too many years of the Chaffee books :)
...... after the fact I realized it sounds a bit better one handed......or at least different

Tony definitely plays it one handed on the recording ....it's evident in the flow

Back