Quantum theory drum practise

Depends on what stops you from playing the desired speed (if the speed is reasonable, ofc).
If it's some kind of "mental lock", some unneccessary tension or anything like that, then I believe that you could spend some thought on the problem and notice results (given that you actually come to a conclusion when thinking).
But this has more to do with using the right technique.

There is a certain speed which your body can reach, which is set by the current state of your body and your own genome.
And like with the sandwich-example, you can prepare your body so that you can easier reach your max-speed. There are some physical preparations, and some mental preparations (stretching and relaxation/meditation or w/e for example) that can be made.
But, increasing your speed-capacity with only your thought doesn't sound reasonable.
That would almost be like being able to become stronger only by doing some thinking.

And a cool thing that we learned when I took some Hapkido-lessons, was to get your blood pumping and get your body warm only by concentrating on your breathing.
Some serious technique is involved, and as with everything else, it takes practice!
A very cool and handy trick.

One funny interpretation of quantum mechanics is that by thinking on something that is beeing observed or has happend, will change the event it self.

So every time i play my favorite 60/70's song i will change the song.

Quantum mechanics is a physics that explains physical behaviors at the molecular, atomic and sub-atomic levels.

If you're talking about that pseudoscience documentary "What The Bleep Do We Know", it has been thoroughly debunked by physicists.

http://www.yelp.com/topic/san-francisco-thorough-debunking-of-that-shlock-what-the-bleep-do-we-know

http://skeptico.blogs.com/skeptico/2005/04/what_the_bleep_.html

Thoughts - consciousness - is simply chemical and electrical interactions between neurons in your brain. That's it. Quantum mechanics does not apply to the macroscopic world - ie: you and me.

As for changing the past, that is impossible, as per The Arrow of Time and entropy nature of the universe, which cannot violate the second law of thermodynamics.

There are a lot of smart people on these forums, I'm glad I posted this thread now as everyones views have been so interesting.

When I first watched 'What The Beep Do We Know' I thought it was all good when it got into the particle and waves stuff but then when it went off about moods and medicine etc it got a bit daft. I still believe there is something in thinking positively and improving aspects of anything via thought but, not quite like that video...

This is why it's hard to really jump on these theories, they tell you we know nothing and this is the new thing only to say it's a load of rubbish years later.

There are a lot of smart people on these forums, I'm glad I posted this thread now as everyones views have been so interesting.

When I first watched 'What The Beep Do We Know' I thought it was all good when it got into the particle and waves stuff but then when it went off about moods and medicine etc it got a bit daft. I still believe there is something in thinking positively and improving aspects of anything via thought but, not quite like that video...

This is why it's hard to really jump on these theories, they tell you we know nothing and this is the new thing only to say it's a load of rubbish years later.

Positive thinking is absolutely very powerful, but has nothing to do with quantum physics, kabala, yoga, new age [insert buzz word here], ancient technology, or any other pseudoscience. Positive thinking is not a matter of quantum physics. It is simply cause and effect.

Positive thinking is absolutely very powerful, but has nothing to do with quantum physics, kabala, yoga, new age [insert buzz word here], ancient technology, or any other pseudoscience. Positive thinking is not a matter of quantum physics. It is simply cause and effect.

Exactly what I think ^^

Couldn't have said it better.

Positive thinking has it's benefits, but it doesn't create superheroes out of men.

Thoughts - consciousness - is simply chemical and electrical interactions between neurons in your brain. That's it.

We have 11 predicted dimensions according to String Theory (which is looking pretty good these days with the finding of what researchers think is probably the Higgs). Apparently, the extra dimensions are very small. But we don't know what they are yet.

On a practical basis we still don't know how the placebo effect works, although we know how to use it. We don't know how a patient can be hypnotised to reduce blood flow from an injury. Or how they can stiffen like a plank. Yogis who can slow their heart beat to a near stop. Quantum mysteries. The origin (and fate) of the universe / multiverse.

On one level (at least) we don't even know what we are made of. We are not made of atoms. You do not have a single atom that you had seven years ago, yet you can remember all these things from 7 or more years ago ... so what is the "you" who is doing the remembering?

Could there be some sort of relationship between some of the many unknowns still out there? We don't know. "That's it" says we've stopped looking.

We have 11 predicted dimensions according to String Theory (which is looking pretty good these days with the finding of what researchers think is probably the Higgs). Apparently, the extra dimensions are very small. But we don't know what they are yet.

On a practical basis we still don't know how the placebo effect works, although we know how to use it. We don't know how a patient can be hypnotised to reduce blood flow from an injury. Or how they can stiffen like a plank. Yogis who can slow their heart beat to a near stop. Quantum mysteries. The origin (and fate) of the universe / multiverse.

On one level (at least) we don't even know what we are made of. We are not made of atoms. You do not have a single atom that you had seven years ago, yet you can remember all these things from 7 or more years ago ... so what is the "you" who is doing the remembering?

Could there be some sort of relationship between some of the many unknowns still out there? We don't know. "That's it" says we've stopped looking.

Wow, that really is a crazy thought, isn't it? You've got me thinking now.

Whatever the names are for these things, we just don't know they are and what they can do so, anything is possible really. And seens as I'm not a scientist or in anywhere near the kind of league as the people who work these things out I can't say either way. But it's all interesting, all I know is that I don't know.
And I don't really want to stamp out ideas because of probably out of date theories to which my whole thought patterns and process is based.
So, what you've just said here is going to keep me awake tonight, you do realise that don't you?!

Lol. Really damn interesting but it just makes me ask questions to which nobody has the answer and causes my mental health to decline... hmmmmm....

You don't think there's any possibility that maybe we haven't really got it all figured out yet? To call the study of quantum physics pseudoscience gives me jibes of a rather closed-mind. There's a lot of study on the subject that's quite interesting, and a lot of the study is backing up the previous studies to lend even more credibility that this really is what we're seeing. Every subject can usually be boiled down to "cause and effect" but there's a mechanism for every cause that creates an effect. I just don't feel that we fully understand these mechanisms in all cases.

Incredible times that we can study this stuff at all. Messing with the sub-atomic and microscopic world is quite awesome.

You don't think there's any possibility that maybe we haven't really got it all figured out yet? To call the study of quantum physics pseudoscience gives me jibes of a rather closed-mind. There's a lot of study on the subject that's quite interesting, and a lot of the study is backing up the previous studies to lend even more credibility that this really is what we're seeing. Every subject can usually be boiled down to "cause and effect" but there's a mechanism for every cause that creates an effect. I just don't feel that we fully understand these mechanisms in all cases.

Incredible times that we can study this stuff at all. Messing with the sub-atomic and microscopic world is quite awesome.

I agree. I'm just not clued up enough about it all to put it so well!

If scientists can't and won't dismiss this stuff then who the hell are we?

Simply not believing because it sounds crazy is daft as everything was looked upon this way at some point or another.

I just want someone to figure it all out and come tell me in a fairly simple manner before I die...

Except Scientology. :)

Haha I wouldn't even begin to argue, agree or disagree with you here. I don't know enough about it to have even an ignorant opinion on it.
I've just heard they can be a bit... strange at times?

Can't we all though...

I just want someone to figure it all out and come tell me in a fairly simple manner before I die...

Don't we all. I think "simple manner" is gonna be the tricky part. I've been studying lots of science for the past two years in order to get my Associates of Science so I can transfer to a four year school and get an engineering degree. Some of this stuff is just beyond normal comprehension. I signed up for Physics this semester. Totally looking forward to it, but dreading it all at the same time.

Good luck with that, bro. With things like these even when we think we know, we probably don't really get the full picture. It's like asking to literally master every aspect of drumming in a simple way. Not going to happen. The best drummer in the world (whatever that means) still has an infinite amount to learn if they want to. We can always keep asking "why?", just ask any bored 7 year old.

This is true, you's are both right. I just want to know more! That un-quenchable thirst for knowledge drives me insane, I always want to know more.

If the creator of all things came down and told me the answers to everything I'd probably be left feeling a bit empty and purposeless, though....

I'm just awkward.

MrInsanePolack - Good luck with your course, sounds like it'll be great fun. It's be a tough study that's for sure but just imagine how much you'll know (or know you don't know) by the end of it!

A great thing to study I think so, best of luck with that!

I've been studying lots of science for the past two years in order to get my Associates of Science so I can transfer to a four year school and get an engineering degree. Some of this stuff is just beyond normal comprehension. I signed up for Physics this semester.

Howard Wolowitz, pleased to meet you!

Asking a bunch of drummers about physics is about as useful as asking a bunch of physicists about drumming.

Sorry...

Back