Looking for good earplugs/headphones

I do a lot of backing and lead vocals while drumming, and I use both headphones and earbuds -- the latter being a pair of Shure E2s I bought a few years ago. Don't think they make them anymore, but they make a similar brand. Why I like the Shure earbuds over headphones:

• Unlike most other earbuds, the Shure have a fairly heavy cord which is very important in terms of ensuring they will last. They are not flimsly.
  • They are designed to come up from your back and go over your ears before being inserted, so they stay out of the way. Also, coming over your ears is a good design b/c they are less likely to fall out when you are active.
  • If you find the right fitting, they do a good job of sound isolation. I don't like the foam b/c they are not tapered and never fit or stay in place for me.
  • They are less noticeable than headphones. Don't look so dorky.
  • I can take them up front and use them when I sing lead vocals.
  • Unless you have really good headphones with battery-powered noise cancellation (and a lof of the noise-cancellation technology won't eliminate much drum noise at ALL, so be sure to check them before buying), I think my earbuds actually block more sound than headphones.

From what I've been told you need to go to an audiologist to have the mold made then you choose the driver that you want in the ear piece.

This works very good and a lot cheaper. Just be sure to tape over the hole in the earbud so it doenst get plugged up, you can remove it later when you remove the ear bud to finish making a hole in the molded material for the sound to travel thru.

http://www.safetygearonline.com/custom-molded-ear-plugs

Back