YANOG! (Yet another New old guy) thread here.

RinkRat

Been lurking for a couple of weeks now, and wanted to say hello to the forum.

Me: I'm 43, and haven't touched a kit since I was 15. :)

When I turned 11, I got a Pearl DX(I think) 5pc set w/Zildjian cymbals as a gift. I played on & off until I gave the set away when I was 15. Moved around quite often, and never had the magic combination of time/money/location to play again.

Fast forward 28 years....... *WOOOSH*

I recently mentioned to a co-worker, who plays drums, that I was thinking of getting into it again. He came back to the office on the next day with a 5pc Groove Percussion set that he said I could keep. It came with some god awful "ProBeats" Cymbals. I know it's not the greatest kit. But hell, it was free. You have no idea how excited I am over this "crappy" setup, and to make some noise again.

I got the drums tuned up, and they don't sound half bad. The cymbals, on the other hand, almost make me want to NOT play at all. (FYI: I'm accepting cymbal donations)

I'm a huge 90's grunge/alternative fan... Foo, Pearl Jam, AIC, Nirvana, Faith No More...
But like plenty of other groups: Beatles, Depeche Mode, Sabbath, Dio, Eminem...

Lessons would be nice. But I haven't had much success yet. The 3 places I tried will only teach children. So I'll probably get a couple of books, and noodle around youtube for now.

Anywho, that's my story...

P.S. Do people paint their Bass Drums anymore? If you see a white Pearl DX(?) with the "Screaming For Vengance" logo on the front, THAT'S MY OLD KIT! :)

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to the fold.

I can't really help you with the cymbals. I have two kits and only one set of cymbals. I got them back when Zildjian only made two lines, A's and K's. (I got the A's) I would suggest checking out Craigslist for used cymbals. I think you'll find some good deals for some high-quality cymbals. You can always post the link to the ad and ask us what we think. People do it all the time.

Welcome from a new old girl :)

Welcome to the forum. I'm in my 50's You'll find a lot help and inspiration here. I've been playing drums mainly for fun, for over 40 Yr.'s. Dive on in the water's fine.

Thanks everyone!

I've been burning up the search function for the last few days, so I don't start off with too many stupid questions. For example: "Which budget cymbal pack should I buy?"

I picked up some G2 heads for the toms today. Hopefully that will make it easier to tolerate the PowerBeats Cymbals/Hi Hat mess, while I scour Craigslist & ebay. As much as I want to replace them today, it will probably be a huge waste of money... and I ain't got lots of that.

On another topic...
Were my hands always this slow? Can't be old age, can it?

I'm wicked fast on my steering wheel "kit" in my truck. But the Gas/Hi Hat pedal gets me in lots of trouble. :) (I'm a Lefty, that sets up "backwards")

Welcome to Drummerworld.​
Figure out what you want to replace first, cymbal wise. Rome wasn't built in a day, and you don't have to get all new pies, all at once. I'd replace the hats or ride, first. Those get used the most. I look at the drum kit, as having 4 main voices. Hats, ride, snare, and kick. Everything else embellishes those four. Get a good foundation built, and the house will follow. Shop used, and you'll be able to build up an affordable set of cymbals you'll wanna keep.​

What kind of music/drum school doesn't teach anybody but children? I'll tell you what kind of school........................

Welcome! I'm sure starting out is the same no matter what the age. Good job on picking up those heads. As for cymbals get hi-hats and a ride first. You seem to know what you are doing so you will be fine. Get those practices in! And hit the books! I never did though..everyone learns differently! Don't be afraid to ask questions!

Back