What got you started playing drums?

Re: What made you want to play drums more than anything?

http://www.drumschool.net

Truly the fear of ending up in prison, I was a bad kid & needed to take my aggresions out on something & drums was the key to my future existance today

Attachments

• DS DVD Front Cover.jpg
    DS DVD Front Cover.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 472

I was always into drums when I was real young. My father was a bass player in a band. I remember watching the drummer play. My father played in a well known band. When I was in school I played in the perc section. I was very hyperactive and would tap on everything. I joined the army and never have been able to play the drums but I would always tap my feet like I was playing a set. I chose to get out the army and start a band. John Dollyman " system of a down" was what made me want to start a band and play drums. I got some formal training by a really well known metal drummer and I was set free. I have been playing a set for about 2 years. I have worked hard to get where I am and I still have lots to learn. But I have a lot to teach also.

Drummer_Boy said:
I really just got bored with the Alto Saxophone, and listened to too much Van Halen. Sooo..I wanted to drum.

Lol same here! I played the alto sax in 5th and 6th grade, then switched to drums after hearing "Hot For Teacher"

Re: The "how" thread

Music- Most of the old classic rock bands- Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Boston, etc.
Drummer- John Bonham
Person- No one
Style- Rock, Classic Rock, some Metal
Inspirations- John Bonham, Peter Criss, Steve Gadd, Neil Peart, ...

Last edited:

i didn't choise my instrument, it choised me

That's an easy one for me to answer. I started playing bass when I was 12, and always looked over at the drummer and thought, "man that's cool, I want to be able to do that;" unfortunately, though my parents put up with the bass droning on in the basement for years, drums were right out.

I was always fascinated with the speed and the fluidity drummers exhibited, which is in direct contrast to the percussive nature of the instrument. I also liked the huge range of sounds one could get from a drum kit.

I think drums, more than any other musical instrument, have the ability to make people want to move rhythmically, and get their heads bobbing; drums really can be hypnotic. Those are the things that drew me to drumming.

A soon as I had my own place and enough time and money, I bought drums, and though I still play the bass regularly, my main instrument is the one I always wanted to play, drums.

rumpuhelvetti said:
i didn't choise my instrument, it choised me

ha good answer... i cant really remember why i choose drums.. my uncle played drums in a band so that started me thinkin, and i liked bangin on things, and its the coolest instrument by far..

I played trumpet in Jr. High and a little in high school. I quit playing in my sophomore year due to the redundancy of the "rehearsals": Tune up, practice a few scales, get yelled at by the band director... repeat the following day. About this time is when MTV first came on the air, and I was intrigued by watching Phil Collins in the old Genesis videos (that's right, kiddies, MTV used to play videos of real musicians playing real instruments!) I loved the punchy sound of his kit and his unique style, although it was hard to figure out what he was doing since he plays as a lefty. Bought the ABACAB album, wore it out... bought some old Genesis albums, wore them out as well ( "3 Sides Live" belongs in EVERY drummer's library). Bought my first kit, got lessons; got a better kit, got lessons from a better teacher, made a meager living playing for a country/rock band for a few years... Kinda drifted away from drumming for several reasons, and just got back into it again about 8 months ago and loving every second of it!

My dad . He's been playing drums for ever and I became a roady in his band early on and loved to see him play and play myself. And we where always listening to music with awsome drummers like: Toto, Steely dan, yellow jackets and so on. But the weird thing is that I didnt really start to play drums for real until I was 15... But once I got the basics I could play almost every Toto groove by heart. So I guess it was ment to be:p

One memory I have of just before I started drumming is driving to hockey at 6:00 am with my father and listening to How You Remind Me by Nickelback, trying to nail the snare fill every time. That's probably the biggest memory I have of just before I got into drumming...

-DM

Probably just hearing the way they sounded when I beat them to hell lol. I lived near the church I used to go to and would go there all the time and just play them..terribly I might add but played them none the less. Fun stuff man...fun stuff.

That drum fill in "Alone" by Heart.

Sad but true.

well.....nothing, in the 7th grade, they had jazz, i was is jazz two, i never knew how to play drum set, and i already had to play at a compettioin (is that how you spell it?)...well, any who, i had to play, sucked but eh...i don't know what inspired me... i guess me....i love to drum, and i will never stop until the day i die...yesh...^_^

My father played drums and I always liked sitting on the kit banging. In fourth grade I joined the school band and since then I've been a drummer. Going on 12 years now. I love drumming.

Music- Red Hot Chili Peppers, Foo Fighters, Nirvana, Lamb of God, Opeth, Los Lobos
Drummer- Chad Smith, Terry Bozzio, Chris Adler, Mike Portnoy, Jeff Queen
Person- My father, Mr. Pepe (grade school music teacher), Dan (highschool drumline instructor), Kenny (highschool snare tech), any professional drummer I meet
Style- Rock/Funk, Funk, Rock, Punk, Metal
Inspirations- All the people, bands, and drummers I mentioned

Music- I got into drumming from my mother she is a percussionist.
Drummer- Definitely my mother, Buddy Rich.
Person- Definitely my mother, Buddy Rich.
Style- Rock,Jazz,blues,swing
Inspirations- Mom, Buddy Rich, Bonham, Porcaro, Mike portnoy, Neil Peart and many others

I saw Stewart Copeland with The Police on the Ghost In The Machine tour and that was it...I wanted to be a drummer. I could not stop watching him.

my friends in 5th-6th grade started up and got pretty good, and i felt out of the boat. so i 'tried it' off and on until i was about 17....then i got serious about it. it wasn't just that though, i've always been into a good rythmn and once i started listening to metal and punk, it opened an entire new world to me.

My name is Josh and i'm raised in Louisiana (born in Kentucky).

Music- I have to say that I basically love all kinds of music, but i love to rock out most of the time.
Drummer- Can't say that i had a particular person that got me started. But if I could pick a role model, it would have to be Johnny Aldrich.
Person- (My parents have always supported my needs. Especially my Father (thanks dad)
Style- Like i said before, i like most styles, but i mainly play alternative or rock and such.
Inspirations- I can remember my very first "drumset". a row of paint buckets lined up i my old garage. The best days of my life (until my neighbors found out).

By the way, check out the band i'm with... http://www.myspace.com/nakedshannon

Music-Dream Theatre,All that Remains,Decapitated,Story of the year,lamb of god
Drummers-My friend + now drum teacher(drummer for revenance),Thomas Lang,Flo Mounier, Mike Portnoy,Chris adler
Persons-Above,Parents,friends who wanted to make band and needed drummer
Style-LOUD.Like to learn new things,so anything. Enjoy metal most,but vary playing for improvement
Inspiration-Thomas Lang/Flo Mounier/drummers,friends,the desire to be the best i can at anything i do

Great thread

Back