Show Off your SONOR DRUMS.

My Sonor SQ2 in Earth Finish :)

drums.jpg

drums1.jpg

drums2.jpg

A really great kit. How are you liking the Artist snare drum? I used to own that but the claws that hold the single-flanged hoops kept failing. I bought replacements and they failed too. Ended up fitting triple-flanged hoops & then sold the drum sometime later. Still, one of the best looking drums I have ever seen.

Even though my little Bop Kit doesn't quite stack up to the SQ2's on here.. Since I've re-cut the bearing edges (slightly rounder on the top, slightly sharper on the reso), coated the interior with Tung Oil, and put some single-flange wood hoops on the kit, it has really come to life!

While this will never be my dream kit, it definitely will keep me happy along the way.

(Sorry for the phone quality pics)

Very nice! We even have a lot of the same stands and I also have an Acro. That Sonor kit might not be expensive but I would put the 18" bass drum on that kit against any of the expensive or vintage ones any day of the week. I gave my bop kit to my sound guy in Germany.

New Set and Retired Set

Attachments

• NewProLiteSonor1200.jpg
    NewProLiteSonor1200.jpg
    664.8 KB · Views: 2,321
  • RetiredSonorPhonic1200.jpg
    RetiredSonorPhonic1200.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 2,469
Thanks. KL - Metallic Lilac. I got a lot of comments from that purple color over the years. I think Sonor only offered it for 2 years. Not to shabby for 1977-78.

Thanks. KL - Metallic Lilac. I got a lot of comments from that purple color over the years. I think Sonor only offered it for 2 years. Not to shabby for 1977-78.

Yep 2 years. I almost bought a set like this only it was double headed. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to find any add-ons drums for it…

My favorite Sonor finish. I wish they would still offer it...

When I bought those new I made sure I got all the sizes and parts I needed at the time to avoid the 'add on' issue later. If I recall, i had to get them from a few different stores in NY, PA, and across the US.

I'm glad I did not ever see any double headed ones for sale in the past few years, as I would probably have bought them (over my wife's objections) -- if just to have them in a collection. ;-) I really like the color too, especially under lights. (Not that i also don't like the new Walnut Burst as well.)

The single heads really do (still) sound great (Sonor did a great job!) and I am sure the added tightness of 2 heads would give an extra dimension. The only thing with Sonor Phonics for those years is they do weight a lot!

That double headed set was almost in your back yard. They were in LA.

24, 12, 13, 14, 15, & 18 floor. I'm still kicking myself...

Here they are….

Very nice kit Bradley. Ive been toying with the idea if a bop kit. I is good to see positive feedback. Same on the pedal. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it.

Very nice kit Bradley. Ive been toying with the idea if a bop kit. I is good to see positive feedback. Same on the pedal. I have heard a lot of mixed reviews on it.

Cheers. Yeah, it's an adjustment playing a smaller kick, if you want the "Jazzy", open sound of an unmuffled little kick: because of the beater rebounding of the head. But you can dampen it with stuff inside and rely on miking to get a tight, punchy sound too.

As for the Jo Jo pedal: there is a flaw. The section where you attach the pedal to the bass drum (or bass drum riser) has to be absolutely level with the floor/stage. If not, one of the rubber pieces that connects the pedal to the rim will wear out and then the pedal will dismount itself from the hoop every few seconds...not. cool.
I fixed mine by adding a piece of double-sided tape to the rubber that had worn out on the left side and make sure to mount the pedal where the hoop sits flush with the floor/stage. I've not had that issue again since taking those steps.

It is an unbelievably good pedal though. It really does feel like there is nothing under your foot, like you are finally one with your pedal. b-e-a-utiful :)

Here are my Sonor Designer Maple Lites in Bubinga. (Some of you may have seen my thread where I was deliberating between these or a DW collectors kit, both 'second hand' but basically unused.)

I bought 8 shells (no snare) that were advertised as 'unused and kept in storage as an investment.' I think they were manufactured in 2005 and were apparently ordered for a tribute band tour that never materialized. In fact, if anyone has any pics of Chester Thompson around that time playing Sonor kits, I'd be really interested to see them as I can't find any.

Everything is totally mint, with my only concern being the 'gap' in the finish and apparent glue marks on the 8" tom. Pictures below.

This is my first Double Bass set up kit, so please feel free to comment. Ill post in the appropriate thread on that later. Remote hats and primary hats are just thrown in there at the moment until my legless hat stand arrives and i can get the pedals organized.

Hope you like it. Now, where did I put my 'how to play double bass licks' DVD?

14025199056_39bc96fcc6_o.jpg

14045153562_6d40739859_o.jpg

14006761125_dc24cd4e36_o.jpg

14045005292_35f94e38b2_o.jpg

14048665254_27430f8f7d_o.jpg

14045003781_64f7bc1dc8_o.jpg

14003529791_5310816282_o.jpg

14048213905_2989502be3_o.jpg

Wow, what a knockout.

Who cares about the seam, I know I wouldn't.

Those are gorgeous. I would find a furniture repair marker and color in the seam. But it would not have stopped me from buying them.
And you virtually have 2 sets there depending on the configuration. Also I would like to point out the only obvious problem with the double bass
kit and that is the hihat pedal cant be next to the second bass drum pedal because the drum is in the way inhibiting and fast left foot work.

Back