The Wife Says Somethings Got To Go: Help me make the choice

This thread reminds me that I need to tell my wife how much I love and appreciate her much more often than I do.

She has never once told me to get rid of musical instruments. I've got 15 pair of running shoes on racks in the basement that she doesn't mind. 3 different bikes. Heck, this is a woman that suggested we build an addition to the house, a proper studio mind you, for my stuff.

I'm with the others, dump the DW short.

This thread reminds me that I need to tell my wife how much I love and appreciate her much more often than I do.

She has never once told me to get rid of musical instruments. I've got 15 pair of running shoes on racks in the basement that she doesn't mind. 3 different bikes. Heck, this is a woman that suggested we build an addition to the house, a proper studio mind you, for my stuff.

I'm with the others, dump the DW short.

I'm the same way. Although today, with the wife at work all day and I have nothing but a show to perform at this evening, she'll be surprised when she gets home to all the floors being cleaned (vacuumed, and mopped. General kitchen cleaning, etc.,...). This is probably why she doesn't care how many drums are in the house, along with the new electric piano and ukuleles ;)

I would never THINK of referring to Mr Madge as "the husband". I am a bit shocked. Well, quite a lot appalled.

my wife is a multi instrumentalist .... her instruments are all over the house

at least mine are confined to my studio ... aside from a random pad in the TV room

My wife tends to ignore my gear purchases because we're both musicians. As long as I keep my drums out of the living room she is happy. I even bought a shelf to better organize my stuff.

I was a great husband this weekend, bought my wife some grease for her trombone and cleaned the whole thing up, re-greased it and left that thing playing like buttah'.

Teach your wife to play drums, give her the short stack as a gift, and then you have kept them all.

I have this discussion with my wife all the time -- why does she want me to get rid of something that gives me joy? A marriage is not about changing the other person. I was a drummer when she met me (she's a singer) and still hounds me about all my gear after 18 years of marriage. I still don't understand why someone feels the need to dictate what you should and shouldn't personally own and enjoy.

The trouble and strife?

The missus?

The old lady?

or just, she who must be obeyed? :)

I would never think of referring to Mr Madge as any of the above!

OP, it would break my heart to part with any of my kits, none of which are a patch on yours, so I'd agree with the suggestion of getting a bigger house.

I would never think of referring to Mr Madge as any of the above!

Man, how about all these shoe comments in here ;)

Just gonna go with everyone else and suggest the DW short stack. The two 'pairs' of similar sounds I see are the DW X-Ply and the Gretsch, and the Ludwig 2014 and the DW short stack. I would think the Roland is pretty useful.

Keep the red, black and blue kits.

I'd like to know how upset the spouse really is/was about the number of kits? Any threats, hollow or otherwise :)

It is clear to me from your replies that I must first get rid of my wife and soon thereafter the widely hated DW Short Stack kit. Strangely, she ismy favorite wife and that is my favorite kit. I play all of these kits pretty regularly as my band gigs most weekends and I tend to tailor my kit and cymbals to the venue and set-list. I keep a set at our bands rehearsal space, one set up at the house and gig a third so i'm always swapping them out. I should point out that this spat started when a few boxes of hardware and Keller shells showed up at the house last weekend and that the kits are just the tip of the metaphorical drum iceberg.

Here is a full accounting of the horror:

Drum Sets:
Gretsch Round/Stop Sign Badge: 5x8, 6x10, 10x14, 14x20
DW Collectors Short Stack: 5x10, 6x12, 10x16, 16x22
DW Collectors X-Ply: 7x8, 7x10, 8x12, 10x14, 18x20
Ludwig 3-ply: 9x13, 10x14, 16x16, 16x18, 14x24
Ludwig 6-ply: 8x12, 9x13, 16x16, 14x22
Ludwig Classic Maple: 6x8 (on the way), 7x10, 8x12, 14x14, 16x16, 14x22
Roland TD-20SX

Snares:
6x12 Gretsch Mark Schulman
4.5x13 DW Black Nickel/Brass
5.5x13 DW Aluminum
5.5x13 Brady Jarrah Block
5.5x13 Craviotto Diamond Series Maple
6.5x13 Dunnett Titanium
4.75x14 Noble & Cooley Alloy Classic
5x14 Ludwig Black Beauty
5.5x14 DW 10+6 Maple
6.5x14 Ludwig LM402

Cymbals:
Paiste 2002: 10”splash, 14”HH, 16”Medium, 18”Crash, 18”Medium, 18”Novo China, 19”Crash, 20” Power Ride, 22” Prototype Ride
Sabian: 7”Max Splash, 10”Ozone Splash, 16”XS20 Ozone, 16”AAX Aero, 17”AA Med Thin Crash, 17”HHXtreme Crash, 17”AAXplosion Crash, 17”AA Holy China, 18”AAX Suspended, 18”HHXtreme Crash, 19”HHXtreme Crash , 21”AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride, 21” AA Bash Ride
Zildjian A Custom: 8”-10”Splash, 12”, 13” HH, 14”,16”,17”, 18”, 19” Crashes, 17”, 18”Projection Crashes, 20” Ride, 20” Projection Ride
Zildjian K Custom: 13” K/Z HH, 17” Hybrid Crash, 17” Med Thin Dark Crash, 17” Hybrid China, 18” Hybrid Crash, 20” Hybrid Ride

Hardware:
Racks: DW Rack, Gibraltar Rack, Too many clamps, arms and accessories to list
Cymbal Stands: DW 9700 x 8, DW 6700 x 4, Gibraltar Turning Point x 4, Tama Road Pro x 5
Snare Stands: DW 9300, DW 9303, DW 5300, DW 5303, Gibraltar Legless x 2, Tama Road Pro
Hi-Hats: DW 9502LB Remote, DW 9500, DW 5500TD, DW 7500, Tama Iron Cobra, Gibraltar Legless
Pedals: DW 5002 Double, DW 9002 Double, Tama Iron Cobra Double, Trick Pro-1V Double, DW 7000 Single

Well, I think it's the DW X-shells that are going to hit the auction block as the new Luddies are pretty similar in size and capability. Just never liked the 18x20 BD on the DWs, very stupidly swapped a 14x20 for it a few years back and have regretted it ever since.

Last edited:
Back