Why Would You Want to Feel Low end on Your Butt?

There have been documented orgasms of female drummers playing speed metal while utilizing the buttkickers.

Sorry the other threads have taken all my filters off.

Sorry Todd, you right. Filters re engaging. Wait. There's a problem. Interference from planet Saturn. If you play a Saturn kick drum, it will kick your butt so bad you won't need no stinking butt kickers!

I just need to ask, I have seen these thrones advertised with these electronics built in that produce a shake or rumble to your seat. I have actually never read or heard what the stated purpose of this is. Any one care to comment.
I could imagine if one were to rather like the message qualities that there would be quite a bit of bass drum work (i believe that the frequencies are generated by triggers). I have 0 interest in something like this, except maybe a message device built in to the back rest of throne; now that could be cool provided it was quiet.

Message?

What message? Talking out of your b*tt?

I've tried one with a Roland TD30KV, their flagship model, and it made me smile. As Bermuda said you feel even more part of the kit and your timing improves as a result. I was comparing the TD30KV and the TD30K and so I had to turn it off as it was affecting my judgment. If I owned one it would be on all the time, it really adds to the experience of drumming IMHO.

If you play complex kick beats it really helps live to hear and accurately play the kick.

Davo

Bermuda,
thanks for the info! That's about what I assumed and hoped. Sounds very promising.
Will put that P&D product on my wishlist.

There's something similar for bass players - the Tec Amp Pleasure Board - serves the same purpose. It's an 80 x 80 cm (31.6 x 31.6'') board fitted with 8 low frequency transducers. That board should be fed with signals that have no frequencies above 100 or so Hz - it's designed to translate the low frequency energy into motion so higher freqs are obsolete. The bassist would feel his playing more and thus, play with more awareness and precision. (You simply enter that board and play standing on it. Or put a seat on it. Or simply sit on it. Should work, too. Whatever is placed on the board will get some shakin'.)

I bought one of these a few years ago but I'm embarrassed to admit I've never used it so far. I will very soon. I just forgot that I have it, plus I didn't have a power amp that could feed this board. I have that stuff now.

Here's some info:
http://tecamp.biz/en/products/specials/62-pleasure-board.html#overview

A prototype version was also advertised for rehabilitation/medical use, to enhance physical perception with some patients.

Why do I feel compelled to mention KIS's "panty-wetting bottom drum?" There's a phrase I'll never forget.

I bet a Buttkicker could work wonders on that front...

Tell you what, if you sit at a kit with a Buttkicker and you don't know it's there (or even what they are) it's a terrifying sensation. Earlier Jon described it as "intimate" - I'd say shockingly so when you don't expect it, but then I never did a lot of horse riding.

It's the kind of sensation you'd have if the stage was made of weak, old wood with loose planks that was bending and buckling with each bass drum note, and on the verge of collapse. They're weird gizmos but obviously useful for some players.

Why do I feel compelled to mention KIS's "panty-wetting bottom drum?" There's a phrase I'll never forget.
I forget the context of that remark, but I bet it was "panty wetting bottom end". Either way, surprisingly, the sensation from the BC2 is as far away from vibration as you can get. There is no movement sensation once your body dials into what's actually going on. At first, it feels a little strange if you're not used to the big bottom end wash from a big touring PA, but you soon get past that & just enjoy a much closer engagement with what the drum is actually delivering.

An earlier poster mentioned triggering. I suppose you could link a trigger via the line input, but their primary source is the bass drum microphone. The throne translates everything that the microphone is "hearing", including sustain. It's a wonderful "in control" feeling to use tactile monitoring.

In all honesty, I use mine maybe 6 times a year. There's one gig that springs to mind were the BC2 is indispensable, & that's the national Harley Davidson rally (we're headlining that again this year). The stage & venue volume is just blistering. So much so, that you couldn't possibly monitor drums audibly without causing huge FOH issues. As an extra bonus, the BC2 did catch some attention from the strippers at sound check/rehearsal ;)

Ive seen something like that advertised for an electronic kit. Their purpose is to emulate the feel of a 'real' kit and the shake you feel with the bass drum.

I forget the context of that remark, but I bet it was "panty wetting bottom end".

Hahahaaa! I can't believe you don't remember - you were telling us about a rather, um, attractive young lady who came up to you after a show. She didn't know the names of the drums, but she told you she liked the sound of your "panty-wetting bottom drum."

Yeah, it's not relevant to the sound from the driver's seat, but this thread made me think of it.

Now all this talk about driver's seats and vibrations... I need to just have a cup of coffee and look at a different thread now before I get myself in trouble, lol.

There's something similar for bass players - the Tec Amp Pleasure Board - serves the same purpose. It's an 80 x 80 cm (31.6 x 31.6'') board fitted with 8 low frequency transducers.

The ButtKicker also mounts to a board for bass players. They can feel their bass, and the kick. The only possible drawback is that they are then forced to stay in one spot if they want to feel the bass & kick., so a wandering bass player might resent the whole process.

Bermuda

Hahahaaa! I can't believe you don't remember - you were telling us about a rather, um, attractive young lady who came up to you after a show. She didn't know the names of the drums, but she told you she liked the sound of your "panty-wetting bottom drum."
Ah yes, well triggered :) Sorry, I'm getting old, & feeling especially jaded today :(

I think they're a great idea. I'd love to own one myself, but there are much better things for me to invest in before I worry about one.

I'm sure it's been answered already, but I'm given to understand that you trigger your kick drum, and feel it through your throne. Basically, it lets you know where your kick drum notes are even if you can't hear them. Ideal for playing a muddled up bar where the sound guy doesn't know what he's doing.

Remember "The Feelie's" from Brave New World. How long before those devices are built in to audiences seats. The movie Earthquake had low end frequency pumped in to simulate an earthquake and it worked quite well; I was headed out of the theatre when it hits in the movie.
People so do love bottom end. Thanks for the low down; it is an interesting concept.

I posted here a couple of years ago that I had bought a ButtKicker. I was mocked at first, until Bermuda chimed in. I think that their usefulness is often misunderstood.

After Bermuda described his rig and that he was using two of them mounted to his throne, I ended up buying one more unit. The reason being that they can be switchable in case they shutdown from over heating when they are driven really hard.

The first unit I bought I mounted to my Roc n Soc with the BK bracket. Once again at Bermuda's suggestion, when I got my second unit, I skipped using the mounting bracket and now they are screwed in directly to the bottom of the throne. I can feel it much better.

I am using a Crown XLS1000 and it works well. I don't think I need any more power but I think Bermuda uses a little more powerful amp for his.

One thing that I do that is a little different is that I am not running the kick drum mic back to the unit. I bought a Simmons accessory pack on sale at GC for $200 and it has two pads, two triggers and most importantly an inexpensive e-drum module. I'm triggering the kick and the module sends the signal to the BK. It makes it very simple for me to get good monitoring without fussing with my kick sound.

With all that said, the truth is that I have not had the opportunity to use it in a concert setting. I just don't have those gigs. I bought it mostly because I liked the idea and I had a little money to spend. I leave it set up on my rehearsal kit. I've only taken it out once and it was a total PITA. For me it's a luxury item but it is truly a wonderful way to monitor your bass drum and the tactile monitoring honestly does make you "one" with your bass. I immediately felt that I could be more precise and or "tighter" so to speak than before.

I could absolutely do without it, but I think once you try one or moreso, once you play with one for a little while, you will want one. I was first exposed to this when a friend bought a gaming chair for his video game gear. I'm a 100% positive that if you are in a louder music scenario and you have problems hearing your kick drum that a BK will change your mind forever.

The Porter & Davies set up looks fantastic. So much more portable as a self contained unit with the transducer incorporated into the throne and the power supply and switching all streamlined in a nice little flight case.

GO GET ONE (or two)

Thanks again Bermuda!

Ah yes, well triggered :) Sorry, I'm getting old, & feeling especially jaded today :(

Sorry, my friend. I understand fully. I end up there myself, too often. Hang in there.

Maybe we just need a swift kick in the butt! (Not with those boots Henri posted, though. Sheesh!)

Back