Where do you live / where have you lived?

Re: Where Have You Lived?

Yea baby! Olneyville Hot Weiners! GAWD.

North Kingstown, Rhode Island
Saunderstown, Rhode Island (which is really North Kingstown)
Exeter, Rhode Island (which might as well be North Kingstown)

nhzoso said:
Providence, R.I. till about 16 born and survived

Stu_Strib said:
Savannah, GA
Cairo, Egypt

I got to go to Cairo for short stay in 2002 (my girlfriend had work there for a few years). One of the most memorable places imaginable. Her company put us up at the Intercontinental overlooking the Nile and even hired an recent graduate in Egyptology to show us around Memphis and through the Cairo museum. Got to venture down into the depths of a small Pyramid near the big ones. One of her local coworkers took me out to see the "countryside" - goes on seemingly forever - thousands of adobe -like dwellings. Got to spend an afternoon at her boss's villa on the coast and swam in the Red Sea. How 'bout that traffic in the city? You could get rich selling car horns. One guy I talked to said he went through about 3 a year! Hope to go back some day - maybe get to Luxor this time.

How long in Savannah? Like it? Still might go to Augusta? Beautiful city.

Gdansk... 30 kilometers south of my actual location - Gdynia. Not very far away :p.

Loge said:
How long in Savannah? Like it? Still might go to Augusta? Beautiful city.

6 years. I liked it, since it was the only place within 300 miles that was unlike the rest of the Deep South. Very progressive (for the south) and very weird! The weather sucks in the summer (too humid!), but it is nice in spring and winter!

Egypt was an eye-opener (or eye-sore you could say). I got to stay at all the 5 star hotels in Giza for awhile, but the other 6 months I lived in a tent in the desert (Yay Army!) I spent every day in town though, and really learned to hate traffic and pollution.

People complain that the US is such a polluter. I would say that Cairo pollutes more than the entire US! (Has anyone ever seen a dirtier river?)

i was born in Albuquerque NM, i then moved to washington D.C., then i moved to Winston-Salem N.C., then i moved to Saint Louis, then i moved again within Saint Louis. . . . .whew!

Stu_Strib said:
6 years. I liked it, since it was the only place within 300 miles that was unlike the rest of the Deep South. Very progressive (for the south) and very weird! The weather sucks in the summer (too humid!), but it is nice in spring and winter!

People complain that the US is such a polluter. I would say that Cairo pollutes more than the entire US! (Has anyone ever seen a dirtier river?)

Yeah, Savannah's a wierd place - like New Orleans in a lot of ways. Lots of ghosts - "Midnight in the Garden..." and all that. Stunning architecture in the older parts. The humidity there is even worse than Atlanta, and in the deep summer you can almost cut it with a knife here. Spring's nice but too short as is Autumn. Summer seems to last forever. Progressive's great, but the explosive growth of Atlanta in the last two decades has created a real mess - urban sprawl, millions of cars and a rapid transit system that's a joke. Too little too late. Pollution has become a critical problem in the last few years. Not quite up there with L.A., but it won't be long, unfortunately.

I agree that Cairo is pretty nasty and the pollution much worse than anything we see in the states (and that's really bad!). No controls (or cat converters) to speak of. I was amazed how there's virtually no traffic signs or lights and the cars just swirve in and out honking wildly the whole time. One local guy told me that the horn is the way a driver senses the position of the car in relation to other vehicles. And pedestrians just walk out into the street without thinking and the cars just go around them. One ride, I thought we were going hit at least six people. Only saw one "fender bender'" the whole time.

Last edited:

Oooh I would like to go to all the places you guys have been, I have never been outside of Europe :(...(seen alot of Europe though from Norway to Spain)

St. Louis, Missouri way over to
Augsburg Germany to Munich Germany
to Melbourne Australia
to Albuquerque NM to Las Cruces NM
to Lubbock Texas. Australia was my favorite...

Gee Stu, you've been kicked out of some of the coolest cities on the planet! I never stuck around long enough for anyone to catch me.

Born and raised in Chicago, Illinois USA
now living in St. Germain, Wisconsin (the "Northwods" as we call it)

Stormrider said:
Oooh I would like to go to all the places you guys have been, I have never been outside of Europe :(...(seen alot of Europe though from Norway to Spain)

A lot of folks in the U.S. are thinking the same thing as regards going to Europe. I didn't get to travel there until I was in my forties, although I'd wanted to since my teens. Spent some wonderful time in Amsterdam. Love the Netherlandish art -especially that of the Northern Renaisasance and the later Baroque.

Yes Amsterdam is indeed a very nice place to be. According to my grandparents Rotterdam used to be the same untill it got bombed to hell by the nazi's...

Hollis, NH - grew up
Fayetteville, NH - 7 years, Air Force
Biloxi, MS - about a year for more training
Colorado Springs, CO - 3 years, more Air Force
Amherst, NH - went civilian

Many travels though...visited around 26 countries, including Germany, Saudi Arabia and one of my favs, Morocco (Space Shuttle support...emergency landing site)

Are you all forced to serve in the military in the USA? everyone of you has been in the army it seems...

I was born in town of Cherepovets - it's Finno-Ugric word - Cherepoves - means "Pile of fish". This settlement was founded in 950-960 A.D., and in 1777, by the decret of Empress Katherine II was declared as a town-Cherepovets.

In 1997 I moved in Saint-Petersburg.

Max.

Canada, ontario, hamilton

All my life its near toronto

But I would love to live in vancouver

MAX ZNAEVSKY said:
I was born in town of Cherepovets - it's Finno-Ugric word - Cherepoves - means "Pile of fish". This settlement was founded in 950-960 A.D., and in 1777, by the decret of Empress Katherine II was declared as a town-Cherepovets.

In 1997 I moved in Saint-Petersburg.

Max.

Wow, St. Petersburg. If there's one city I want to see in the World it would be St. Petersburg. Such rich history and social changes in such short spans have really given it a multi-faceted and rich culture in comparison to a lot of other shorter-existing American cities.

I've lived in Gravesend, Kent, England for my whole life. We have Gary Noonan (drum maker) and are known as the deathplace of Pocohontas. The theory is that she saw Gravesend and gave up hope. I feel the same, the place is horrendus. Only good thing are the plentiful transport links to get me out.

BALKAN bosnia and herzegovinia.I would left but getting viza for western countries is hard

I'm a west coast girl:
Born in San Francisco ... truly left my heart there and am terribly homesick for it all the time
Moved to Barstow, CA when I was 8, for 15 mind-numbing, torturous years (if you've ever driven from LA to Vegas, you've gone through ... if you don't know it, it's in the middle of the Mojave Desert, with nothing to claim but a couple of military bases, a big railroad switching yard, a dry river, unbearable heat and humidity in the summer, and sand storms that'll take the paint right off your car).
Escaped to San Diego for 15 years (talk about feeling like paradise!) and lived in El Cajon, North Park and Pacific Beach.
Moved to Canada, to the wilds of British Columbia and lived outside of Clearwater for 9 years.
Wanted to go to New Mexico, Wisconsin or So Dakota when I left Canada, but the Seattle area was the farthest I could get with three howling cats in the back seat of my car. Have been here for 10 years, first in Bothell and now Everett.

Willimantic , CT ...Riverhead , LI , NY ...Kanagawa , Japan ...Saitama , Japan ... West Swanzey , NH ...Kumamoto , Japan ...

Stormrider said:
Are you all forced to serve in the military in the USA? everyone of you has been in the army it seems...

No, it is completely voluntary. It is a good way to pay back school or get money to go to school (and give yourself time to figure out who you are before commiting yourself to the real world, heh).

It also pays a lot of people more money than they'd be worth in the private sector (sadly).

Back