Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

what is your favourite pre In Absentia PT song to play?

Hatesong was always good fun - Buying New Soul, Even Less (we played the long unedited version a couple of times) and many others.

Hi alparrott

Out of all the stuff you've been doing the last few years (05Ric, PT, King Crimson), what have been your favorite songs? Any old gems pop up that you "rediscovered" ("Oh man, I forgot how fun that song is to play" or "Wow, that has that tricky bit I'd forgotten")?

hard to nail it down to just one song as my choice changed over the tours.

With Ric I always enjoyed playing "Life"
With PT - Sound Of Muzak was good fun
With KC - ConstruKction of Light

Meanwhile some news on a project that I've been working on for the last 5 years. An album of Porcupine Tree songs arranged for modern contemporary big band. (I'll post a sampler of it soon and see if you can work out what the song titles are). I'm sure most people will find it quite surprising. It will be released early April on Kscope Records. Over 14 guys play on this record and they're some of the best in the world.
Gavin Cheating polygraph.png
cheers
Gavin

Meanwhile some news on a project that I've been working on for the last 5 years. An album of Porcupine Tree songs arranged for modern contemporary big band. (I'll post a sampler of it soon and see if you can work out what the song titles are). I'm sure most people will find it quite surprising. It will be released early April on Kscope Records. Over 14 guys play on this record and they're some of the best in the world.

cheers
Gavin
Now that is absolutely tantalising! Did you change up drum sizes / tunings to match the vibe?

Hey Gavin!

Firstly I'd just like to mention how amped I am for the release of your PT jazz album. I've been waiting for this since I heard Futile in big band form. And depending on how early in April you release it, it'll probably make a good birthday present for me no matter when it comes out. So excited.

Quick backstory on my question of the day. I was at a local show supporting a friend's band last week, and after they were done playing I went up to their drummer to compliment them and get a better look at a couple of their smaller effects cymbals. One of them he had inverted atop a crash. It was a 7" Stagg bell. To my surprise he told me he didn't really use it and asked if I wanted it. So I gave him $20 and went on my way. (2nd cheapest cymbal I've ever bought!) When I got it home, I mounted it up on my drum set and went to work analyzing which of your prototype crash bells it was closer to in sound because I intended to use it as such. To my surprise, it more closely sounded akin to your 9" crash bell despite its 7" size.

Here's where the question comes in. In my listening process, I came across one of your tunes with 05Ric, Sometime (quite a beautiful song, I must say). While intensely listening for your crash bells, I noticed on the second chorus that the cymbal you hit on beat two every bar did not sound like any cymbals I'm used to hearing from you. It didn't sound like your 7" or 9" crash bells, nor was it the 8" bell you use for Sailing, because you actually hit that one at the end of that chorus. This cymbal sounds splashy. So, I'm wondering if you take a listen back to that section if you could identify what cymbal I'm hearing on beat two every bar.

Here is the link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZMJGsEdInM How convenient that this song was on Youtube. The second chorus starts at 4:36.

I included a couple images below. On the left is the 7" Stagg bell, and the right is an 8" EFX #1 (one of my favorite effects cymbals you've ever used, I just adore its sound). Physically, the Stagg bell looks fairly similar to your crash bells, as does the EFX #1 when inverted.
Also you'll see a picture of a Protean snare below. That's because I got one for Christmas. The 12x5 model, in fact. LOVING IT! :)

Thanks as always for answering, and for designing the most wonderful snare drum.
Cheers -- Peter

Attachments

• Crash Bells.JPG
    Crash Bells.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,855
  • Snare.JPG
    Snare.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 1,850
Hi Gavin.

1. Do you have a regular sleeping schedule?

2. Do you think having a routine and being disciplined is important in life?

3. How do I become a good listener?

Sincerely,

Sounak

Hello Gavin,

I am curious as to how much autonomy you have when you play. For example, I have enjoyed your work with people like Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin (Green and Blue is a very nice album for a variety of reasons) and King Crimson. The Dave Stewart material seems to be very much fully composed whereas KC at times seems much more open. Does someone like Dave Stewart tell you what to play (in general or specific terms) or does he just say "Here's the demo, find something that works"? In contrast, I read in Bill Bruford's autobiography that nobody told him what to play in KC, he was just supposed to "know".

Thank you.

PS- Any plans for more Stewart/Gaskin work coming up?

Gavin,

I have two quick questions:

1. In the song False Start, what the heck is going on with the fill that leads into the polyrhythmic instrumental section near the end? After about 50 listens I figured out the palindrome-like sticking between toms and snare (S-S-T-S-T-S-S-T-T-S-T-S-T-T), but I still don't know the actual rhythmic pattern being played there. It's so weird and crazy...and I love it!

2. I know tons of people have already asked you about future plans with Porcupine Tree, and you've said there are none at the moment - but how much do you WANT to do another PT album? Do you usually just wait around until Steven Wilson gives you a call, or is it something you talk to the other guys about? For me, PT is the perfect vehicle for your style of drumming, and I'll be one of the first in line to jump on a new album if you put one out!

Thank you!
JD

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

what is your favourite pre In Absentia PT song to play?

Hatesong was always good fun - Buying New Soul, Even Less (we played the long unedited version a couple of times) and many others.

Hi alparrott

Out of all the stuff you've been doing the last few years (05Ric, PT, King Crimson), what have been your favorite songs? Any old gems pop up that you "rediscovered" ("Oh man, I forgot how fun that song is to play" or "Wow, that has that tricky bit I'd forgotten")?

hard to nail it down to just one song as my choice changed over the tours.

With Ric I always enjoyed playing "Life"
With PT - Sound Of Muzak was good fun
With KC - ConstruKction of Light

View attachment 66387
cheers
Gavin

Gavin, you continue to blow our collective minds!

Hi, just saw this thread and wanted to post.. i had played guitar for about 25 years but always wanted to drum and never did.. i saw Gavin on letterman about a year ago (i think, my memory is bad) and it just blew me away to the point that i bought a kit and have been practicing for about 4 months now.. Drums are so much more enjoyable in every single way it makes me wish i had never picked up a guitar. And drummers tend to be the nicest people to talk to!

So thanks Gavin for giving me that kick start finally :)

Hello, Gavin!

I know you loved Art Farmer as you were growing up and still do. What do you think was the most influential album on your playing? Do you recall which one you listened to the most?

Also, everybody, a short sampler of Gavin's new album has been released! It's brilliant! I think I heard Futile, Hatesong, Halo and Cheating the Polygraph in there. Great stuff! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCPiNby-DY

Cheers, Quinn

Hi keep it simple

Now that is absolutely tantalising! Did you change up drum sizes / tunings to match the vibe?

I kept my own voice pretty much as the 'vibes' on the record are quite diverse.

Hi K_HiHats

Here's where the question comes in. In my listening process, I came across one of your tunes with 05Ric, Sometime (quite a beautiful song, I must say). While intensely listening for your crash bells, I noticed on the second chorus that the cymbal you hit on beat two every bar did not sound like any cymbals I'm used to hearing from you. It didn't sound like your 7" or 9" crash bells, nor was it the 8" bell you use for Sailing, because you actually hit that one at the end of that chorus. This cymbal sounds splashy. So, I'm wondering if you take a listen back to that section if you could identify what cymbal I'm hearing on beat two every bar.

I believe it was another 8" prototype alternative to the "Sailing" bell. Thanks for listening so closely. Hope you enjoy the new album in April.

Hi anokus

1. Do you have a regular sleeping schedule?

yes every night. At least 8 hours.

2. Do you think having a routine and being disciplined is important in life?

Depends what you want to achieve. If you want to really improve with practise then I would say you're going to have to get disciplined with yourself.

3. How do I become a good listener?

That's a big question. Try to notice small details and how they work inside the music.

Hi Notbob

I am curious as to how much autonomy you have when you play. For example, I have enjoyed your work with people like Dave Stewart/Barbara Gaskin (Green and Blue is a very nice album for a variety of reasons) and King Crimson. The Dave Stewart material seems to be very much fully composed whereas KC at times seems much more open. Does someone like Dave Stewart tell you what to play (in general or specific terms) or does he just say "Here's the demo, find something that works"?

It's been a long time since "Green and Blue" but my memory of it (like most of the sessions I did with Dave and Barbara) was that there would be a drum machine demo that I would base my drumming ideas off. That is to say that some of the patterns might be important to the song - so obviously I would copy them but put my own small embellishments on them. Other times there were sections where they wanted me to create something new or different. The end section of "New Jerusalem" is a good example of that - where they invited me to create a big rhythmic illusion.

HI SnareSpectre

1. In the song False Start, what the heck is going on with the fill that leads into the polyrhythmic instrumental section near the end? After about 50 listens I figured out the palindrome-like sticking between toms and snare (S-S-T-S-T-S-S-T-T-S-T-S-T-T), but I still don't know the actual rhythmic pattern being played there. It's so weird and crazy...and I love it!

Actually the rhythmic attitude of it is a lot more interesting than just the order of the notes. It has a slight "Latin" leaning to the timing of it. A bit like the way a timbale player would play a fill.

Hi Lightbulb_Sun

I know you loved Art Farmer as you were growing up and still do. What do you think was the most influential album on your playing? Do you recall which one you listened to the most?

"Crawl Space" and "Big Blues" (with Jim Hall).

Cheers
Gavin

...and for the folks who haven't heard it yet here's a sampler of my new album featuring Porcupine Tree songs arranged for modern contemporary brass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCPiNby-DY

Hi keep it simple

I kept my own voice pretty much as the 'vibes' on the record are quite diverse.

...and for the folks who haven't heard it yet here's a sampler of my new album featuring Porcupine Tree songs arranged for modern contemporary brass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJCPiNby-DY
Ok, that's my first listen, & I like it very much. Of course, huge skill from all players hits you in the face, & although arrangements are complexed, it doesn't come across as being complicated for complication's sake.

Purely from my personal perspective, I would like to have heard some bigger / more open drum sounds in places, although I understand the desire for a more compressed / focussed approach to carry the number of notes in some parts, & to sit with the staccato vibe of the brass.

A deeply impressive piece of music making Gavin, & brave too :)

Hi Gavin,

Hope all is well. Anxiously awaiting the release of the album. Quick question, when you joined Porcupine Tree in 2002, did you have to learn every song? Or did Steven give you a list of everything you needed to know? Are there some songs you didn't need to learn because they wouldn't be played live?

Cheers, Quinn

Hy Gavin!
I'm playing with the Idea of a SQ2. Since 22 years I have the big Jeff Pocaro Rack, and I love it. I saw that you were using it too before switching to Gibraltar. I wonder, how you managed to put Sonors tom (or cymbal) hardware into the lugs of the Pearl hardware for the big old Jeff Pocaro Rack (not the PC-8 or PCX-100 which are thinner, but the old ones that do not exist anymore that you have as well - saw it in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTIhYQxdQbQ).
When I checked the size of the tom holders I saw they the Sonor Hardware doesn't fit (they are too big, or too small).
How did you solve this issue?
Thanks, Flo

Last edited:
Hi Lightbulb_Sun

when you joined Porcupine Tree in 2002, did you have to learn every song? Are there some songs you didn't need to learn because they wouldn't be played live?

No, I just learnt the songs that were neccassary for the tour. There are many of the older songs I've never played live.

Hi Florsky

I'm playing with the Idea of a SQ2. Since 22 years I have the big Jeff Pocaro Rack, and I love it. I saw that you were using it too before switching to Gibraltar. I wonder, how you managed to put Sonors tom (or cymbal) hardware into the lugs of the Pearl hardware for the big old Jeff Pocaro Rack

I undersatnd the problem. I had a small amount of the 7/8ths pipe coming out of the old Pearl clamps and then used a Sonor PH Prism Holder that converts from 7/8ths down to the Sonor diameter.

Hi Dustondrums

Can you describe your day when you're not on tour?

Unless there's a project or session that I'm working on - I try to get lots of sleep and practise the drums for a few hours.

Hi drummingman

why did you switch from Axis pedals to Tama pedals?

quite simply because I preferred the feel of them and I could get more leverage from them. That meant that I could play at the same power and volume as the Axis but with about half the effort. Unfortunately I couldn't play any faster - but I don't use that much speed - what I strive for is acurate articulation.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,

I have two quick questions:

Funny enough, I was actually quite curious about this section myself about a year ago or more and transcribed it myself back then. Below is an image of both the fill, and the rest of that section in all its illusiveness.

This is actually taken from a page I devoted completely to all the strange drum stuff Gavin comes up with, as well as some of my own ideas. It's all transcriptions of fills, polyrhythms, and cool beats.
http://www.noteflight.com/scores/view/d2e607dc005bc37df75c2fc22540e744a153bf03

(P.S. That album sampler of Cheating the Polygraph has me all the more excited to get it. Can't stop listening to it.)
Cheers -- Peter

Attachments

• False Start Metric Modulation.JPG
    False Start Metric Modulation.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 1,368
Hi Gavin,
At first I have to say that you are my absolute favourite drummer!
I got a few questions:
1. What are these drums you use left beside your kit when playing with King Crimson?
2. Has Stewart Copeland been an influence on you? I realized that you play some similar fills. Even though you said in an interview that you didn't listen to Britain Punk Rock I wondered about that.
3. Could you come to Vienna on your next drum clinic tour?
Cheers

Back