Learning to read music..?

Do you need to? Nope. Is it really really helpful? Yes! Is it hard? Nope! So why not do it?Trust me, the sooner the better. You don't have to be a pro at it either for it to help you. Just being able to figure out drum parts using notation is a huge plus.

It's pretty crucial if you want to go far and be a complete player. I was a terrible drummer/percussionist for many years but I could sight-read music, being a classically trained pianist.. Then there were/are others who are phenomenal drummers but can't read a lick. It really pays off in the end, though.

I can almost guarantee you that in life you probably will not find something easier to learn that will help you as much as reading rhythms

you could literally learn to read in two days if you wanted to ..... or less

nothing to it

the benefits highly outweigh the cost

This topic used to come up a lot, but it's been a while since we had this thread.

Yes, reading is very helpful.

No, I've somehow never ended up in a situation where I got handed a chart (not sure why, just never did), but reading it still helpful when looking at beats and transcriptions in magazines and books. If I have an idea when I'm no where near a drum kit, I can write it down and read it later. If need to learn a song, it can be helpful to write out any tricky parts.

And I could not write and program music if I didn't know how to read it.

I have spent 20 years as a purely classical musician involved with performing and accompanying etc. As a musician I have met many people who cannot read it very well and come up with all sorts of excuses why, and always have a limit. At the end of the day being able to read and write/understand the music has been essential and being able to read music in your head with no instrument the way we read a book has always made musical life easier.

However...I have really enjoyed the last year, learning drums myself and not looking at a note, I have abandoned melody and harmony completely lol! Playing completely instinctively.

Seriously though........although I am not reading the drumparts I am quite sure a lot of stuff has been compartmentalising itself in my head in patterns through all the years of musical reading and patterns and I wouldn't be surprised if once I get comfortable and confident with the physical side I end up on occasions sight reading parts if asked to by bands for pieces I don't know.

What I am saying is, if you are comfortable with your drumming, learning to read music will always be an advantage, in my opinion any language (including music) although passes by ear, the ability to read and write once fluent will always be an advantage and if you can play/drum instinctively by ear but also by reading, the it is the best of both worlds.

Basic chart reading is a massive help... If you struggle with some rhythms its understandable, but learning the 'roadmap' and structure of a chart is best skill you can have

Imagine how hard it would be to learn information if you couldn't read the written word?

Everything would have to be passed down aurally and you would need to remember it.

There are 2 types of reading really. There is sight reading fly poo at 20 ft and then there is reading for comprehension.

Sight Reading isn't a skill you need unless you want to do pit work, orchestral work or films etc. It also takes years of hard practice to get your sight reading chops up and you only get those by reading lots!

The second level of reading is the level everyone should get to as it allows you to grow as a musician. If you can read a little bit (enough to work things out) then every book, magazine, online lesson is there for you to absorb and that can only make you a better player.

This exact explanation is what i give to students who come to me. Reading to a level that you can teach yourself is never a bad thing.

I also explain the following which means they can learn anything written down.

In order to read music you need to know 3 things

The value of the note (1/4, 1/8th etc and recognize them) this is done by how they look...which never changes between instruments. An 1/8 note always has one tail/flag.

Next you need to remember how to count them....which never changes between instruments.

3rd you need to know where those notes are played....which does change. Most drum books have keys at the start which tell you what is there.

With those 3 things you can read anything ever written on any instrument....you may not be able to play it right away but you can understand it.

D

Last edited:
I grew up playing wind instruments and so the idea of not learning to read wasn't an option for me. And as opposed to DED, I *have* been in the circumstance where someone handed me sheet music to read. In one of these circumstances (theater gig) I watched another musician get sacked on the spot for being a lousy reader.

You can get through life not learning to read, but honestly, there's no reason to resist learning it, and so many good reasons to learn how. You're probably going to invent your own tab or shorthand anyways, and if you can read tab, you can read music.

Imagine how hard it would be to learn information if you could read the written word?

Everything would have to be passed down aurally and you would need to remember it.

There are 2 types of reading really. There is sight reading fly poo at 20 ft and then there is reading for comprehension.

Sight Reading isn't a skill you need unless you want to do pit work, orchestral work or films etc. It also takes years of hard practice to get your sight reading chops up and you only get those by reading lots!

The second level of reading is the level everyone should get to as it allows you to grow as a musician. If you can read a little bit (enough to work things out) then every book, magazine, online lesson is there for you to absorb and that can only make you a better player.

This exact explanation is what i give to students who come to me. Reading to a level that you can teach yourself is never a bad thing.

I also explain the following which means they can learn anything written down.

In order to read music you need to know 3 things

The value of the note (1/4, 1/8th etc and recognize them) this is done by how they look...which never changes between instruments. An 1/8 note always has one tail/flag.

Next you need to remember how to count them....which never changes between instruments.

3rd you need to know where those notes are played....which does change. Most drum books have keys at the start which tell you what is there.

With those 3 things you can read anything ever written on any instrument....you may not be able to play it right away but you can understand it.

D

It really boils down to this

I started learning to play drums with reading, I can't imagine learning nearly as fast if i didn't read. It doesn't even take that long to learn to read drums, what will really make the reading go fast is to have a sticking method to go with the reading.

I'd love to read. Old dog/new tricks. My eyes just tend to glaze over with it all. Just can't seem to find the right teacher/method/books or whatever.

Actually my angst at traditional notation (which is despised by even major classical composers) caused me to develop my own number system, but it only works for me and has its flaws, to be sure.

Do you guys think it's really worth it? In some cases I don't really see the need to, but then again.. I'm terribly lazy

Its like the alphabet, you can speak before you can read it, learning to read it however allows you to learn more. I can read music but I have not had to while playing in years. Looking in modern drummer they have transcriptions and im able to read whats going on and its kind of cool actually. either way, you can still play.

Its like the alphabet, you can speak before you can read it, learning to read it however allows you to learn more. I can read music but I have not had to while playing in years. Looking in modern drummer they have transcriptions and im able to read whats going on and its kind of cool actually. either way, you can still play.

This is a really unique way of putting it, I like that. I don't know if I'll ever put in the time to learn but it'd be nice. Maybe when I'm older things like this will seem more interesting

You can get through life not learning to read, but honestly, there's no reason to resist learning it, and so many good reasons to learn how. You're probably going to invent your own tab or shorthand anyways, and if you can read tab, you can read music.

And then, right on cue...

Actually my angst at traditional notation (which is despised by even major classical composers) caused me to develop my own number system, but it only works for me and has its flaws, to be sure.

Music notation, like any other form of notation, even the one you're reading now, is imperfect. And while it is possible that you will invent a better one, it's way more likely that you won't.

Get a teacher whose instruction includes drumming, or a drumming teacher specifically to teach you to read.

Learning to read music is going to way easier than any other substitute method to achieve the same result: a lazy man works twice as hard!

Absolutely do not learn to read music; there are already too many drummers out there competing for work.

Go on living with your parents, playing your drums in your bedroom, and leave playing music to the musicians.

I'm terribly lazy

IMO this is the only reason not to learn to read drum music :)
(and BTW, drum music is arguably a simplified version of music notation anyway).

On the positive side: it's not that hard; you just have to start with the basics, and then go step by step. My 11 year old son can read basic drum charts. It took him about 10 minutes to get the basic idea, and how he's learning beats that I'm writing down for him. As your playing improves, your reading ability will improve along with your playing ability.

It's true that you can learn a lot without reading (e.g. from YouTube) but reading opens up a world of learning and new ideas.

Absolutely do not learn to read music; there are already too many drummers out there competing for work.

Go on living with your parents, playing your drums in your bedroom, and leave playing music to the musicians.

Yes, and get the hell of my lawn.

Back