Ludwig Club Date Drums

Boneybeaverbrother

I just picked up this vintage Ludwig Club Date kit in a blue oyster pearl finish, thanks.
8x12,14x14,14x20

Attachments

• 0903135827.jpg
    0903135827.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 2,991
  • 0903135800.jpg
    0903135800.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 1,970
Very nice! Looks like they're in great condition. How do they sound? Where did you score them from? What is your favorite movie? Do these pants make me look fat?

OK, enough questions...

Very nice! Looks like they're in great condition. How do they sound? Where did you score them from? What is your favorite movie? Do these pants make me look fat?

OK, enough questions...

1) They sound great, like all vintage Ludwigs do.
2) I got them from a guy here in San Antonio..
3) That Thing You Do.
4) Yes.

Great looking kit! I'd love to hear a recording. (hint hint)

Sweet kit!

Lest anyone be misled by any kits with bowtie lugs qualifying as Club Dates, or Ludwig's recent introduction of a Club Date series, this 20/12/14 outfit with the rail on top, telescoping legs, and angled cymbal mount, IS the actual Club Date kit. This kit has the traditional cymbal mount, which may have been a later '60s version, or it was a replacement for the mount that also served as the bass leg mounts. (Check inside the drum and see if there's a larger hole under where that mount is.)

Nice find!

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda, I know you're a big Ludwig guy. I checked under the hood and there is no big hole where the cymbal mount is, only two screws and the large washers, so this kit is from the late 60's. I believe someone replaced the push button floor tom leg mounts with the classic Ludwig floor tom leg mounts, but luckily there are no extra holes.

Last edited:
I checked the 1967 catalog, and by then they had indeed replaced that cymbal mount with the more common P1216D mount. Just as well, the original mount had the cymbal arm poking out at an impossible angle, and putting a lot of stress on the shell.

Nice!

Cool set! But it looks like black oyster pearl to me not blue. Either way, very cool drums.

Cool set! But it looks like black oyster pearl to me not blue. Either way, very cool drums.

I wish it was black oyster pearl! No, it's blue, I used my phone camera and the lighting was bad. Here's a few pics with a little better lighting.

Attachments

• 0904134935.jpg
    0904134935.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 2,011
  • 0904134943.jpg
    0904134943.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 1,504
I used to have 1976 blue oyster pearl Luds. They really changed the color in 10 years. Your wrap looks nothing like my old wrap. But I can see the blue better now. So are they a 1967 vintage?

I know these are late 60's, but I don't know the exact year, I'll have to check the serial numbers to determine that. Yes, they drastically changed the blue oyster in the 70's and I think for that reason, you don't see too many kits with the original blue oyster finish. They also changed the black oyster in the 70's, but there seems to be more of the original black oyster out there, it was more popular because of Ringo. Ludwig has also brought back the original black oyster, but not the blue.

What a gorgeous kit! I also have a 67 club date. Mine are also blue oyster pearl and also 1967. I found them at an antique store for $500 with a snare.

20131102_155831.jpg

Here is the floor tom once I cleaned it up:

20131106_213628.jpg

Amazingly there were no extra holes or any home brew modifications. The biggest issues was the last owner left off all the reso heads. So I am on the hunt for a set of original t rods. I am in the process of a full restoration.

I am about half way done.

http://vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=41227

Back