Finally! Bo's Pearl Reference Pure video!

Great flow & grace as usual Bo. Kit sounds great. I especially like the bass drum tone, & the toms are at a nice tuning too. A touch of EQ, or is it "virgin"?

I see what you mean about the hat position & 16ths. It struck me that hat to ride grooves would be really easy to access too, & I like that texture over a groove.

More than anything, I was struck by just how the kit suits you :)

Very nice!
Is that a Reference snare, too...or is it the birch/kapur snare?
Can you introduce me to your avatar?
Rob

My favorite part of that was the "hi hats". Cool setup.

Great flow & grace as usual Bo. Kit sounds great. I especially like the bass drum tone, & the toms are at a nice tuning too. A touch of EQ, or is it "virgin"?

I see what you mean about the hat position & 16ths. It struck me that hat to ride grooves would be really easy to access too, & I like that texture over a groove.

More than anything, I was struck by just how the kit suits you :)

Totally 'virgin' audio. I just put the Zoom in a mic stand and pointed it at the center of the kit and went for it. I'm prepared to do individual miking on the 8-track recorder, but I wanted to let the drums speak for themselves, as you often do with your recordings. I am quite pleased with how they sound on their own.

The snare is a Studio Session Classic birch/kapur snare drum. I have a couple of Ludwig Supraphonics I'll also be using too. But on the Reference Pure series, they use birch with maple and a sharp bearing edge on the snare drums. I figured birch/kapur with the same bearing edge would do the trick as well - and I think it does. The drum tunes easily into all kinds of ranges, and sounds great!

The avatar decides who she will meet with ;)

This is my favorite sounding and looking kit I've seen you play by far Bo. Every drum I like. The black looks great. Your playing is so smooth and flowing, I really admire that. I'd like to see you stick with this one for a while. The drums attack sounds very crisp, love that.

Very nice bo. I was waiting for a video of this setup. Looks like everything is easy to reach, even the 12". What ride are you using?

Great playing.
I am definitely going to try this kind of set up. Except I will keep one tom on the bass drum and one to the left of the hi hat (I play right handed).

Larry mentioned that this set up might compromise the typical drum fill that goes from small to large tom.
But I think as you said we don't really use that drum fill very often. But it will be fun to see how I might have to modify my playing.

Thanks for the video !!

I am very impressed. These drums sound great. Your playing is always top-notch, and this is no different. But I think this is my favorite-sounding kit you've put up in a video.

Very nice bo. I was waiting for a video of this setup. Looks like everything is easy to reach, even the 12". What ride are you using?

Thanks everybody for giving me three minutes of a listen! Yes, I am totally diggin these drums. My Luddies are jealous.

Anyway, the ride is my prized 22 Zildjian K Light ride. Everyone should get one ;)

Great kit, and great playing Bo.​

This is my favorite sounding and looking kit I've seen you play by far Bo. Every drum I like. The black looks great. Your playing is so smooth and flowing, I really admire that. I'd like to see you stick with this one for a while. The drums attack sounds very crisp, love that.

I'm still using the stock heads, which are Remo clear emperors on top and clear ambassadors on the bottoms, and a PS3 for the batter on the bass drum. The snare got ambassadors top and bottom (unfortunately, the SSC drums come with Remo UT heads - so those got switched out rather quickly). The SSC snare also got the same hoops (Pearl's FatTone) as the rest of the drums. It originally comes with Pearl's SuperHoop II hoops, but I wanted the distance between rim and head to be the same on all the drums.

I do have a set of Evans heads waiting to go on when its time (G2/G1, and EQ3 for bass drum) but what I really want to do is put black dots on the toms and that new clear PS3 with the black dot for the bass drum. I'll have to replace the front reso with a clear emperor if I do that ;)

Great playing and nice sound Mo... I can see that the Ukulele Hero game play had a positive effect on your playing :)

What about the cable hat? any lag in response? especially with such big hats... I love the setup though.

Great playing and nice sound Mo... I can see that the Ukulele Hero game play had a positive effect on your playing :)

What about the cable hat? any lag in response? especially with such big hats... I love the setup though.

Of course, dealing with a cable, I think there will always be a nano-second lag (at best) when using these types of hi hats. And it does respond a bit faster if I use 14" hats as opposed to the 17's, but to me it's negligible and easy to adjust to (now that I've spent several weeks playing the kit like this). The feel of the cable hat is much better than my experiences with them when they first came out in the 80s - I think most of the manufacturers have it down now - so I don't think it's a brand thing (although the Pearl one does feel the best to me, and it's also one of the smallest, components-wise).

When I first got this one, it only came with an 8-foot cable and like alot of people, I wanted a shorter cable. On retrospect, I think 8-feet of cable is now a good thing as it allows this huge loop from the pedal to the hi hats - the cable is not bending in any weird way as it would if it were shorter - and carrying it around is just a matter of looping it to fit in the trap case.

So, long answer, there's not much of a delay (if any). Thanks for the continued praise ;)

I agree, very smooth and flowing, ergonomically that setup fits you well.

How does a cable hat setup feel, is there any noticeable drag when opening the hats?

Doh, sorry just read the reply above concerning the cable hat, sorry Bo.

Great sounding drums, Like the setup too, a little Bruford like, easy to reach. Playing sounded great too, nice.

Back