I have yet to play on a Bubinga kit, but the Tama finishes are second to none, the Quilted Mocha and Molten Lava are my two favourites.
Well I wouldn't say second to none, but they are good. I also really like the Lava. When I got my new Limited Edition kit, the burl finish reminded me of both of these finishes.

All your kits are beauties. Tama makes such classy stuff.

To the OP, that is such a beautiful kit, and it probably sounds amazing too !! Classy finish, and the pictures are great quality as well. Any sound clips/videos? :)

In general you all have lovely kits, I bet you're real proud of them ! (specially Sticks4Drums' kit, that "natural" finish is superb)
It's actually my buddy's kit, but I get to look at, and play it when ever I like. :)

It's actually my buddy's kit, but I get to look at, and play it when ever I like. :)

You are indeed a lucky guy to be able to play this beautiful kit when ever you like AND be fortunate to play your monster kit when ever you feel like it, I'm utterly jealous about it. ;-))

I think they offer you whatever you want at the elite level. They do offer the hyperdrives on all their other lines, so I can only assume it's a pretty standard thing. I'm not that special ;)

I think they offer you whatever you want at the elite level. They do offer the hyperdrives on all their other lines, so I can only assume it's a pretty standard thing. I'm not that special ;)
You are to us! :)
------------------------

Regarding wood snares in general, I guess I have a slight aversion to them because I can never get them to sound good. A friend let me install heads on his then-new Noble & Cooley years ago and I wasn't satisfied with what I could do with it to make it sound nice. It must just be me, because alot of people get great sounds out their wood snares.

I know what you mean. I have been a metal snare player pretty much all of 35+ years of playing. Ludwig supras, black beauty or hammered bronze. They sound awesome, but I was in search of a wooden drum to add to my arsenal. I played my 6.5x14 supra exclusively for the last 10 years or so, and sometimes in certain rooms it seemed to have a mettallic tonality that bugged me a little bit and I thought maybe a wooden drum would solve that. Hence the search began and I just couldn't find one I liked. They didn't have the "pop" and high end cut I was used to. Until...I found my recent addition, the Joyful Noise legacy maple. It has the "pop" and cut, but it also has the warmth of a wooden shell in a very desirable way. It's almost as cutting as my supra, but it's just a tad mellower (in a good way, still loud and agressive and will not choke no matter how hard I hit it) and has a beautiful tone that really sounds sweet mic'ed up. I really like it and will probably alternate between the two snares as the sound of the room dictates. If I play a room that sucks the mids and lows out of the snare sound, I'll probably go with the maple. Likewise if I play a room that is middy and muffled sounding, I'll go with the supra for some additional cut and bite. Both drums are great.

Back