My beginner setup

Pyromaniac777

Silver Member
Ok, don't laugh at my cymbal setup. I know the only cymbals I have are the ones that came with the kit, but the drums are pretty nice. I'm working on getting some new cymbals.

Attachments

• Drum set.jpg
    Drum set.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 507
Don't sweat it! I know tons of pro drummers who only use the same setup. Hats and a good crash-able ride. It can really get you thinking of the underlying rhythms instead of which cymbal to hit, and you'll also get good at pulling more sounds out of the one cymbal!

Welcome to the drummer family!

HAhahahahahaha!

Just kidding. Don't be ashamed of what you have. The important thing is is that you're off and running. In fact, on my little traveling Ludwig Breakbeats kit (or if I want to go small with my big Ludwig 4-piece) I only use a 19" A Zildjian medium thin crash as a crash-ride cymbal, and a 15" pair of Zildjian New Beats. I could do a majority of my gigs with just that.

Man does this make me feel spoiled. I thought I was cutting back when I removed my fourth crash and side snare

That is a great kit and a cool set up. Enjoy it and good luck with your drumming.

Welcome to the family.

Your kit is beautiful - I have a very soft spot for black kits!

Re cymbals: quality over quantity, and there's no rush. You are in for a lot of fun, I hope!

I'd like to make an ergonomic recommendation. I'd raise your toms up, and flatten your angle a little more. The idea is that the stroke you use to hit your snare shouldn't have to be altered too much when you go to the toms, as if you're just extending your arm out and up a little to get a good swing at the rack toms. Make that change and any weird habits will not form and you can possibly avoid some physical pain down the road.

Hi man, put some good heads, take your time looking for your sound and, ready!!!! A good head improves sound a lot (it doesnt matter if it is a "beginner" set).. good luck!!!

It's true. Good head combinations and tuning can make any beginer set sound decent. Set the drums up the way it's comfortable for you. Don't neccesarily try to copy someone elses set up.

Back