Keith Moon

• Thread starter tuckerduncan2002
  • Start date
I saw a video once where moon broke a right bass drum head. He had the stage hands change the right head while he continued to play. It appeared that Moon was playing the left bass drum like a hi-hat playing eight notes. I heard that Moon would lead with his left foot think this is what they meant.. As others have mentioned he did not use a lot of hi-hat.

When I look at the videos of that premier kit that he played, the over-head toms appear to be the same size. When I listen to Moon, I can not hear the toms being tuned to differently. I hear different floor toms but not different overhead toms.

It is hard for me to hear any buzz, double stroke, or triple stroke rolls from Moon. He seems to be playing a lot of rhythmic fills without the use of the cymbals.

Because Moon did not play the hi-hat, he used his ride a lot, but he also used a lot of the crash cymbal as a ride. He crashed the cymbals more often than other drummers. Drummers would open and close their hi-hat slightly to add color, but since Moon was riding more often, he needed to accent and add color so he would use the crash cymbals to add color and phrasing.

a couple things

yes his mounted toms were commonly all the same sizes which is not uncommon for 60s drum kits at all ......this happened until the mid to late 70s when he started to layer concert toms ....and even then some of them were the same size

for example ...the pictures of Lilly kit had three 14x8 mounted toms tuned higher to lower from left to right , two 16X18 floor toms and one 16x16 floor tom which was commonly used as a drink holder.... ( this floor tom sat at the rock walk at GC on Sunset in hollywood for a long time next to Keiths gold Premier kit )

as for the cymbals......back then manufacturers weren't really labeling cymbals or differentiating much between "crash" and "ride"...they were just cymbals of different weights and diameters ...of which Keith generally played one 20" and two 18" of various manufacturers .. often Paiste with a Zildjian mixed in periodically

and yes Keith commonly pumped 8th noted on the bass drum that would play simultaneously with his right hand that was usually constantly switching cymbals ......and often live if his right foot was playing a pattern his left foot would be pumping 8ths as if it were on a hi hat

he also commonly played a single stroke four pattern on his feet in the middle of measures or every other measure

not sure I have ever heard the term "overhead tom"....but I know what you mean

Last edited:
I'm another avid Moonologist. If there was ever a trivia contest solely about Keith Moon, I'd win it, probably.

Keith Moon is actually a great drummer to use as model for your own playing. I can play "Moonish" enough to astound in the right setting, and having that in my arsenal has been most advantageous over the years. Don't be put off by the seeming randomness of his playing; there's much there to learn from.

I'm another avid Moonologist. If there was ever a trivia contest solely about Keith Moon, I'd win it, probably.

Keith Moon is actually a great drummer to use as model for your own playing. I can play "Moonish" enough to astound in the right setting, and having that in my arsenal has been most advantageous over the years. Don't be put off by the seeming randomness of his playing; there's much there to learn from.

completely agree J

there may not have been much method to his madness ....but there sure were some absolutely beautiful things happening

just a natural fury of everything from thunderous flurries to delicate , almost orchestral touches

a true master that never intended to be a master

There have been many like him (until taught that it's not the proper role to play drums in a group).

Yeah, they certainly musn't stay that way. I can't think of anyone remotely like him. Can't even think of anyone attempting to copy or emulate him.......he seems to stand alone in that sense. One of very few players so unique that there precious little structure to grab on to. You can copy licks or ideas, but the overall vibe is very difficult to grasp. Can't say that about many other players from his generation who were equally as influential in a broader sense. I know you've drawn similarities with Mitch Mitchell before, but I reckon even Mitch provides more of an anchor point from which to 'get inside his head'
"Force of nature" is very apt IMHO.

I know many say Zac Hill is the closest we come to a modern day Keth Moon, but personally I don't hear it. To me it takes more than just being erratic to draw any parallels to Moon the loon......you actually have to be pleasant to listen to too. :)

Others have alluded to this but I'll say it as well.

Keith was not particularly interested in 'playing nice' with the other members of the band. He was not an anchor (although when he wasn't dosed up he actually had decent time) to follow like we consider most drummers to be. He was a 'lead' drummer - everything he did was played for the effect of melody as much as it was rhythm. In a way, Entwistle was a perfect foil for Moon in that Entwistle had superb time and was a very, very solid bass player rhythmically who could also play fantastic melodic lines.

I've tried to get into Keith Moon's head before as a player and I've only ever sounded like a pale imitation at best. I think that's true of most of us if we try. Oddly, I think the closest player to Keith Moon might well be Elvin Jones or Rashied Ali. Both players have similar melodic leanings that Moon emulated and both also had plenty of power. I know that Anthony has a lot to say about Elvin too (he's probably my favourite player) and I can't help but think that there's a direct link in the playing between Elvin and Keith - even if Keith wasn't aware of it.

Others have alluded to this but I'll say it as well.

Keith was not particularly interested in 'playing nice' with the other members of the band. He was not an anchor (although when he wasn't dosed up he actually had decent time) to follow like we consider most drummers to be. He was a 'lead' drummer - everything he did was played for the effect of melody as much as it was rhythm. In a way, Entwistle was a perfect foil for Moon in that Entwistle had superb time and was a very, very solid bass player rhythmically who could also play fantastic melodic lines.

I've tried to get into Keith Moon's head before as a player and I've only ever sounded like a pale imitation at best. I think that's true of most of us if we try. Oddly, I think the closest player to Keith Moon might well be Elvin Jones or Rashied Ali. Both players have similar melodic leanings that Moon emulated and both also had plenty of power. I know that Anthony has a lot to say about Elvin too (he's probably my favourite player) and I can't help but think that there's a direct link in the playing between Elvin and Keith - even if Keith wasn't aware of it.

funny thing ...Elvin actually liked Keiths drumming and expression on the kit

when I was studying with Elvin in the mid to late 90s I was still very much a rock drummer trying to make sense of what in the world jazz players were doing.....and at the time I was obsessed with Keith and about a year removed from my extensive research and contact with Keiths family and friends...

...and I had asked Elvin about Keith Moon as I would ask him about lots of drummers.

Elvin expressed to me that he had not heard everything that Keith had done but what he heard he had enjoyed.....he said he liked his raw expression .

I'm pretty sure his actual quote was.....that boy was a bad m***er F***er.

he also spoke about meeting Pete Townshend at Ronnie Scotts in the 1970s

there is actually an Elvin quote on Keith here

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=28193#.USrtnRzqERg

and here Keith admits to picking up things from Elvin

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:cEsh2yzgXywJ:www.thewho.net/articles/keith2.htm+keith+moon+elvin+jones&cd=3&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=safari

....and I agree with your comparison as well

Last edited:
Yeah, they certainly musn't stay that way.

Well, speaking for myself I started out playing off the vocals and guitar because that's what I noticed. If I remember rightly, I found it hard to hear the bass under all my racket.

Edit: It probably seems far fetched for staid little old me to claim that I was a bit of an animal early on - evidence attached. To my mind that's what a certain stream of garage rock playing is - not playing the usual rhythm section role but chasing the guitar and vocals around. That's what Moonie did, but he was good enough and the band was good enough for it to work so famously well.

Attachments

• Scott&Me-Loud metal song.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 276
Last edited:
How did Keith Moon play!!!!!!!​
He played by the seat of his pants! Almost like he had tied a rope to his belt and lowered himself down from the rafters over the drum kit just good enough to be able to reach everything. when he got behind a drum kit his mind set was... if you don't like my driving then get the hell off the sidewalk! When he drank...If 3 were good then 10 would be better.

He loved the attention but I think it was becoming harder and harder to keep up playing the role of the crazy party animal drummer. Age was starting to catch up and I think he was getting tired of playing the role. Anywhere he went people expected him to play the role so they could get their laughs.

I think he was trying to make the adjustments to give up the booze and re-invent himself.
I can't often help but wonder what may have been If he or bonham could have gotten sober and re-appeared back on the scene some time in the eariy 80's. Just Imagin what one of those guys would have done if they got their hands on some of the modern updated gear that was on the way.

Keith Moon was the inspiration for me to start playing the drums when I was 11 years old. I am now 48 and I still think there is no one to touch him. Ok so he wasn't the best time keeper but his genius made up for that ten fold. Just watch The Isle of Wight concert from 1970 and then say he wasn't any good. I dare you!!

I was never a fan of Keith Moon. His style is always so sloppy and, a lot of the time, overplayed. And if there's one groove that makes my blood boil it's definately "You Better", or at least I think that's what it's called. It is just so annoying and never goes anywhere.

Now, I'm not saying he's terrible. He's been a big influence to many drummers, but I just don't like his style.

That was Kenney Jones. Keith died three years earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Genius drumming

Just look at this video. He was such a natural talent.

Not a very popular opinion... but here goes..

Love The Who, can't stand the praise Moon gets.
Yes, he's good but the godlike status he's garnered amongst drummers today doesn't seem wholly justified to me...

I tend to think that if he wasn't playing in one of (if not the) greatest rock bands in history, of which I know he made his contributions too, he wouldn't be so highly praised. Also, he died young and was charismatic as *(&(^%^%!... and lovably insane.

For me, his drumming is a little uneven dynamically and too messy.

Don't kill me! Just an opinion.. You know what they say about opinions... ><

Scared to push the submit button...
Here goes...

Peart's playing is choreographed, rehearsed and predictable. Every song always sounds exactly the same live with no improvisation at all, same can be said about Bonham. Keith Moon on the other hand played what he felt, with soul, improvisation and a lively precision that leaves the listener on the edge of their seat. Listen to The Who Live at Leeds and if you have an ear for true art, you will realize&#65279; Moon was the greatest Rock n' Roll drummer who has ever picked up a pair of sticks

I love moon the loon. Not always technically accurate I accept but he had great feel and showmanship combined

What does that mean though, not always technically accurate? I think I know all the Who songs by heart (well....), and I'm trying to think of one where the drums aren't "technically" accurate. I'm drawing a blank.

Can you enlighten me?

(
What does that mean though, not always technically accurate? I think I know all the Who songs by heart (well....), and I'm trying to think of one where the drums aren't "technically" accurate. I'm drawing a blank.

Can you enlighten me?

His time playing could be all over the place.

With that said, I love Moon. More than any other drummer of his era. The spontaneous energy was unlike any other Rock drummer.

To my mind, he had the necessary technique and discipline to play exactly what came from his heart and head. He inspired a couple of generations of players and I probably never would have picked up a pair of sticks if I hadn't listened to him. However, it is easy to overlook his culinary talent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtqeTXRRIyU

Back