Ludwig Fan Club

• Thread starter Jusstickinaround
  • Start date
Here are some pics of my kit:
http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/DrumPic1.jpg
http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/DrumPic2.jpg
http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/DrumPic3.jpg
http://www.harleymaniac.org/images/drumming/DrumPic4.jpg

Sorry about the links but the pics are too damn huge to use as includes unless there is a way to resize them in the

LVDC, I also would love to know how to bring back the sparkle to a wrap. the 16" I just got is in desperate need of a cleaning, it is much more dull than the other drums.

Think of the children!

Think of the children!

Now that's funny!

I use, for all my polishing needs, the Liquid version of Flitz Metal Polish, which contains no Ammonia, Abrasives or Acids. I've found that the Liquid version, as opposed to the Paste, is much easier to control due to the fact that it soaks into my applicator rather quickly and doesn't lay on there like the Paste does, which tends to get squished where you don't want it. I do use the Paste on Rims since it is a little "stronger" and it matters not where it ends up on those parts.................

Flitz is safe for most metals, plastic, fiberglass, plexiglass & paint and I have used it safely on many types of metals as well as all the other materials I just mentioned..........

I have bought Flitz from a number of sources but for the last year always re-supply here. http://www.flitz-polish.com/default.asp

It's the cheapest place around and they ship quick. You should get 10% off if ordering for the first time and also be prompted with an offer to buy some Micro Fiber Polishing Cloths during checkout, which I highly recommend doing since they are awesome for use when doing the final polishing..................

After the Flitz I follow up with Meguire's Cleaner Wax, usually 7 to 10 thin coats on shells, which may seem like overkill but the extra coats do make a BIG difference. When working the Lugs etc for the Downbeat Bass I kept adding coat after coat on the Shell going past my normal, at that time, 4 coats. When I removed the sixth coat I could still feel the "roughness" of the wrap but when removing the seventh it was as smooth as the best clear coat around so I slapped two more coats on and called it good...........................

The Meguire's can be found at most Auto Supply Stores, or anyplace that has a decent supply of Auto Care products. It is actually only one part of a multi step process designed by Meguire's but when checking the "other steps" I found that they didn't seem safe for Drum applications so I only use the Cleaner Wax................

197116418.jpg

LVDC

Last edited:
Now that's funny!

I use, for all my polishing needs, the Liquid version of Flitz Metal Polish, which contains no Ammonia, Abrasives or Acids. I've found that the Liquid version, as opposed to the Paste, is much easier to control due to the fact that it soaks into my applicator rather quickly and doesn't lay on there like the Paste does, which tends to get squished where you don't want it. I do use the Paste on Rims since it is a little "stronger" and it matters not where it ends up on those parts.................

Flitz is safe for most metals, plastic, fiberglass, plexiglass & paint and I have used it safely on many types of metals as well as all the other materials I just mentioned..........

I have bought Flitz from a number of sources but for the last year always re-supply here. http://www.flitz-polish.com/default.asp

It's the cheapest place around and they ship quick. You should get 10% off if ordering for the first time and also be prompted with an offer to buy some Micro Fiber Polishing Cloths during checkout, which I highly recommend doing since they are awesome for use when doing the final polishing..................

After the Flitz I follow up with Meguire's Cleaner Wax, usually 7 to 10 thin coats on shells, which may seem like overkill but the extra coats do make a BIG difference. When working the Lugs etc for the Downbeat Bass I kept adding coat after coat on the Shell going past my normal, at that time, 4 coats. When I removed the sixth coat I could still feel the "roughness" of the wrap but when removing the seventh it was as smooth as the best clear coat around so I slapped two more coats on and called it good...........................

The Meguire's can be found at most Auto Supply Stores, or anyplace that has a decent supply of Auto Care products. It is actually only one part of a multi step process designed by Meguire's but when checking the "other steps" I found that they didn't seem safe for Drum applications so I only use the Cleaner Wax................

197116418.jpg

LVDC

When you apply the wax does it give these drums a nice shine or is it just to protect it? I love that blue oyster kit you have, I had one just like it a few years ago.

SmoothJazz, with few exceptions, like their lower end Outfits, all Kits were available in Ludwig's Pearl Finishes, most with a choice between Lacquer or Pearl................

Here is the Club Date as shown in the 1961-62 Catalog that illustrates this.
Look down at the bottom left hand corner for choice of Finish and price difference..............

265211132.jpg

Below is the Club Date in the 1966-67 Catalog with the Sparkling Red Pearl Finish, which just as easily could have been WMP......

196401270.jpg

SmoothJazz, given your name, here is one of those exceptions that you might find interesting that doesn't follow the rule of "low end" Kit.
It's the Jazzette, as shown in the 1966-67 Catalog with a clear Mahogany Lacquer Finish.................

196385540.jpg

Note that in the 1966-67 desc below that the Jazzette was also available in Clear Maple or "Plain" Lacquer Finish...............

196385682.jpg

LVDC

Last edited:
Dude, a Ludwig club? Count me in!

Accent Series!

l_5f8cf5feb80a4ac3a59068b188aab8b2.jpg

l_551c09cd4405f903ba5da300081a269a.jpg

l_4ce993d7adf47a95f76f0f1079ffc97b.jpg

What? They're still Luddies...

After the Flitz I follow up with Meguire's Cleaner Wax, usually 7 to 10 thin coats on shells, which may seem like overkill but the extra coats do make a BIG difference. When working the Lugs etc for the Downbeat Bass I kept adding coat after coat on the Shell going past my normal, at that time, 4 coats. When I removed the sixth coat I could still feel the "roughness" of the wrap but when removing the seventh it was as smooth as the best clear coat around so I slapped two more coats on and called it good...........................LVDC

LVDC, Can I send my 'Wigs to you? I'll pay shipping & polish.........
Thanks!

Attachments

• Humboldt 8.jpg
    Humboldt 8.jpg
    381.9 KB · Views: 6,846
LVDC, Can I send my 'Wigs to you? I'll pay shipping & polish.........Thanks!

Latz, shipping AND polish!?!? Wow, that Monster you have there is definitely a two quart job...................

Really it wouldn't be any more work than the two back to back Stainless Kit's I did, right down to the Lug Cup Washers, Flitzed & two coats of waxed each of those little buggers. If you figure that each Lug has two Cup Washers apiece, well, you get the picture......................

When I finished up with these two, the one in the front used to belong to Matt Chamberlain, I jumped on my Downbeat.
And the Hits just keep rollin' in...............

188907477.jpg

In addition to Kits & Snares I spent the first three months of this year working, primarily, Vintage Hardware, Stands, Pedals etc.........................

While this Gig is time consuming it sure is a good way to learn alot about this "stuff"

LVDC

SmoothJazz, with few exceptions, like their lower end Outfits, all Kits were available in Ludwig's Pearl Finishes, most with a choice between Lacquer or Pearl................

Here is the Club Date as shown in the 1961-62 Catalog that illustrates this.
Look down at the bottom left hand corner for choice of Finish and price difference..............

Below is the Club Date in the 1966-67 Catalog with the Sparkling Red Pearl Finish, which just as easily could have been WMP......

SmoothJazz, given your name, here is one of those exceptions that you might find interesting that doesn't follow the rule of "low end" Kit.
It's the Jazzette, as shown in the 1966-67 Catalog with a clear Mahogany Lacquer Finish.................

Note that in the 1966-67 desc below that the Jazzette was also available in Clear Maple or "Plain" Lacquer Finish...............

LVDC

Alright, one more question and out of your hair for good. with the exception of the first outfit pictured down to except the floor tom, The Club Date never came standard with a 22" 13" 16." It always came with a little bit different sizes compared to the Superclassic right (Which mainly came 22 13 16 I assume.)

Because I haven't seen the set I am getting yet, I think after you answer this I can be sure that I know that I am getting the Superclassic when I go down to Jersey to pick it up. I haven't seen any pictures of it so I can't judge by the lugs, so this is what I gotta go by.

Also wow, what good times, a Supraphonic snare drum came standard on a low end kit, and Formula 602 cymbals, some of the best ever made (worth like 600 a piece now), 4 of them for $140! Quite amazing how much prices have inflated since then.

The Club Date never came standard with a 22" 13" 16." It always came with a little bit different sizes compared to the Superclassic right (Which mainly came 22 13 16 I assume.)

SmoothJazz, as far as I know the Club Date always came stock with different sizes than the SuperClaccic Outfit, about as close as the Club Date came to the SC was it's earliest version, which is contained in the 1961-62 info I already posted. By the 1963-64 Catalog it has been "tweaked" and the Jazz Fest (8 Lug) Snare swapped out with the lesser priced Pioneer (6 Lug.)

In 1966-67 it still had it's "tweaked" sizes but they switched up on the Snare again, using the Acrolite as stock.

Here are the 1966-67 specifications showing the "tweaked" sizes that it sported from 1963-64 on...............................

265311464.jpg

265311536.jpg

Also, your assumtions on the stock SuperClassic sizes was spot on.......

LVDC

Last edited:
SmoothJazz, as far as I know the Club Date always came stock with different sizes than the SuperClaccic Outfit, about as close as the Club Date came to the SC was it's earliest version, which is contained in the 1961-62 info I already posted. By the 1963-64 Catalog it has been "tweaked" and the Jazz Fest (8 Lug) Snare swapped out with the lesser priced Pioneer (6 Lug.)

In 1966-67 it still had it's "tweaked" sizes but they switched up on the Snare again, using the Acrolite as stock.

Here are the 1966-67 specifications showing the "tweaked" sizes that it sported from 1963-64 on...............................

265311464.jpg

More To Come / In Progress

That is all I needed, that pretty much assures what I am getting since your saying Club Date never came in the SC sizes down to everything (unless maybe custom ordered, but I am pretty sure it was a stock kit). Thanks, you are a true Ludwig Guru.

Latz, shipping AND polish!?!? Wow, that Monster you have there is definitely a two quart job...................

Really it wouldn't be any more work than the two back to back Stainless Kit's I did, right down to the Lug Cup Washers, Flitzed & two coats of waxed each of those little buggers. If you figure that each Lug has two Cup Washers apiece, well, you get the picture......................

When I finished up with these two, the one in the front used to belong to Matt Chamberlain, I jumped on my Downbeat.
And the Hits just keep rollin' in...............

In addition to Kits & Snares I spent the first three months of this year working, primarily, Vintage Hardware, Stands, Pedals etc.........................

While this Gig is time consuming it sure is a good way to learn alot about this "stuff"

LVDC

LVDC, that MONSTER is only 1 of 5 Ludwig kits. Unfortunately, it is the one that needs cleaning the most. Too many lazy nights of throwing stuff in the roadcase and headin' down the road. It's amazing what just a little bit of moisture can damage and build up overnight.

One of the other kits is a Standard Ruby Strata I am restoring/customizing/upgrading. It actually came with "classic" lugs from the factory, so it's only a Standard by finish and tom mounts. Yeah! I wil post pics when I am finished. It will be one of a kind, that's for sure.

So ya thinik 2 quarts will do it, huh.................

One of the other kits is a Standard Ruby Strata I am restoring/customizing/upgrading. It actually came with "classic" lugs from the factory, so it's only a Standard by finish and tom mounts. Yeah! I wil post pics when I am finished. It will be one of a kind, that's for sure.

So ya thinik 2 quarts will do it, huh.................

Interesting Standard information, considering the Strata Finish aspect you mentioned. When Ludwig reintroduced the Standard Line back in the very early 80's they had Blue & Olive Badges as well as the Large Classic Lugs but at that time only offered Cortex Wraps. This later version of the Standard Line had straight Bass Spurs with six ply Bass Shells & only 4 ply for the Toms. A couple of years after the reintroduction they introduced the Rocker Lines and that was that for the Standard's...........................

When I order Flitz I always get two quarts and that usually will do a couple of Kits as well as a few snares but I use far less now than I did when I started doing this sort of thing. One word of advice if using Flitz, about a year ago it seems as if they changed the formula, or I just got a bad batch, the Factory Rep never did explain it, so you will want to use a smaller bottle to work out of, which is easier anyway. Last year about this time I had some go "gloopy" on me, it thickened up, in spite of the fact that I was doing everything as I had been. It was still useable just a royal pain to get it to pour out of the bottle...................

While I had always stored my bottles, large or small, in a zip-loc when not in use I now take it one step futher when closing up my quart after a refill using an old Canoe Builder trick that I have used for years when closing up a can of Paint or Varnish. When closing up my quart after a refill I exhale in the bottle a few times to remove the oxygen, which reduces skimming for Varnish & Paint & "gloopy-ness" in the case of Flitz. After that it goes in a zip-loc and since doing this have had no more problems. I always make it a point, even if taking a break for a few minutes, to close my small "working" bottle in spite of the fact that I have to do a refill every two or three days, depending.....................

I would like to add that when I contacted Flitz about what happened last year they jumped right on it and replaced the "gloopy" quart working with the Company I posted the link to earlier in this thread....................

LVDC

Interesting Standard information, considering the Strata Finish aspect you mentioned. When Ludwig reintroduced the Standard Line back in the very early 80's they had Blue & Olive Badges as well as the Large Classic Lugs but at that time only offered Cortex Wraps. This later version of the Standard Line had straight Bass Spurs with six ply Bass Shells & only 4 ply for the Toms. A couple of years after the reintroduction they introduced the Rocker Lines and that was that for the Standard's...........................
LVDC

I remember them. Weren't they Rockers with a Standard/Rocker bass head? Kind of a crossbread/crossover set. I thought the Strata finishes are some of the coolest finishes and only available in the Standard series.

I know this is probably a stupid question but, you did know that Ludwig used the same 3-ply shells for the Standards as the Classic line when they were first introduced. The Standards just had the cheaper hardware. Ludwig's attempt at competing with all of the imports of the time. Union labor in Chi-town was the killer for these. But you probably already knew all of this....

I have seen 2 or 3 other kits with Classic lugs, in fact there is a blue strata on ebay right now with classic lugs. The large classic lugs will swap out with the bullet/rocker lugs. Smart on Ludwigs part not having to change drill patterns. My Ruby 12" actually has small/mini classic lugs on it, so it has to be factory. No other footprints either. When I get done with the kit, it'll be double 22" kicks, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13 double headed toms & 14, 16 floors w/ matching 5 & 6.5 snares. All with Standard badges & classic lugs. Someday.....

Enough of my babbling.....

Last edited:
That is all I needed, that pretty much assures what I am getting since your saying Club Date never came in the SC sizes down to everything (unless maybe custom ordered, but I am pretty sure it was a stock kit). Thanks, you are a true Ludwig Guru.

Smooth...

Clubdates have different lugs also.....if you have separate lug configuration on the kit your'e getting...it's a SC

Back