Losing that second crash cymbal

It may just be me, but I don't think you can ever have enough cymbals.
I crash at least 4 times per song - is that a bit much? - and even do the hihat bit on the crash when I feel really awesome.
The only problem I have at the moment is I don't have a second crash so I have to use the ride...

cymbals rule!

Woooo!!!

I would think the musical requirements would determine when you crash and how many times? But hey, that's cool too.

It may just be me, but I don't think you can ever have enough cymbals.
I crash at least 4 times per song - is that a bit much? - and even do the hihat bit on the crash when I feel really awesome.
The only problem I have at the moment is I don't have a second crash so I have to use the ride...

cymbals rule!

Woooo!!!

A buddy of mine remarked after hearing playback of a session he did where they wanted him to "go for it" was all he heard was splish splash all over the place. That said, some older records have no fills at all, just an occasional crash where a fill would have ended. Restraint is hard to achieve, but I'd rather be the one to do it and keep the options open rather than restrict myself with a minimal kit. Of course I've never gigged with more than 3 toms and 4 cymbals so I guess I do have some restraint. Either that or a small car ;-)

I am currently, not by choice, part of the 2 cymbal club. Hats, an 18" vintage K Zildjian, and a 20" El Rajah (possibly has Zildjian roots from what I have read, not much info on it other than it is probably from the 30's) and I am absolutely loving it. These two cymbals sound great as both crashes and rides. Their voices are completely opposite, the 18" is very dark and dry, while the 20" is very bright and pingy. I love the contrast I get when playing patterns on both at the same time.

Currently I am thinking that I don't want any crashes, just another ride and maybe a china. How funny is that, a metal drummer with only 2 cymbals! What is the world coming to?

I love crashes. Sometimes I even use a large splash as a crash along with my standard pies. You can't take away my bronze, Obama!

Last edited:
Back