Gavin Harrison here!

Wow. Incredible playing, Gavin!

I find the older I get, the more often I find inspiration for my drumming.

I now have a new CD to buy.

S.

Great, thanks n2xlr8n.

Like many folks I dreamed of going to Berklee - but I met John Schofield in a cafe in 1980 and I had a long chat with him about it and actually he advised me not to go. He gave me the impression that it was a negative vibe with all the competition there. I did however have some of the most mind blowing drum lessons from Dave Cutler when I was 18 - Dave had been to Berklee for 3 years and studied with Gary Chaffee.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin,
Just wanted to say that I loved your Rhythmic visions dvd. It definitely gave me a whole new respect for really looking at timekeeping and time feels and blah blah in a serious way. I've been trying to come up with my own methods for working on time, and trying to understand it. So yeah, thanks a lot, and if you ever start devoting a lot of time to private teaching, I hope I find out because I think you're a great teacher.

Good show.

Hi Gavin,

First off I have to say i'm glad that a "known" drummer is on here answering a lot of our questions. It makes a big difference to a lot of people!

Secondly, AWESOME drumming last night at the Cambridge Junction, I was watching you most of the night from down in the front row. Very impressive, I love the middle section to Halo and had a bit of a nightmare working it out! I also purchased your dvd last night and am looking forward to your demonstrations melting my brain a little more!

On a side note the new material you played last night was awesome, did make me laugh when I realised a lot of people couldn't tap/headbang/pogo in time to one of the tracks because of some crazy time signature you guys were playing! The only people I could see still moving with the music were the other 2 members of my band! Rock on!

Thanks for reading

Gav

Hey Gavin,
Just finished watching the Arriving somewhere... DVD. EXCELLENT!!!!!!!! I cant wait to see you guys in NYC in 3 weeks. Take care and God bless.

MM

i stumbled across your place on drummerworld somehow, love the videos and songs. i've been trying to check out whatever playing of yours i can find, as soon as i can i plan to pick up In Absentia... thanks for the great drumming!

Last edited:
Gavin Harrison said:
Hi Batera945,
Like you, I really wanted to be a 'professional drummer' - that is to say make a living at it. My Dad was a professional musician and that really helped with my attitude to it. Being prepared is the key thing. Learn to read (I've done top 40 bands, wedding bands, big bands, ballroom dance bands, theatre show deps and sessions that all required a pretty good standard of reading). Practise all styles of music - go out and get some jazz, funk, big band, country, Pop, folk, be bop, reggae, dixieland trad and play along to those records and try to 'fit in' convincingly. To make a living at this you're going to have to be super versatile. Get GREAT at playing with a click - most of the jobs I do now require you to play to a click - but REALLY well.
Meet as many musicians as you can - and try to do every gig that's offered to you - even if you don't particularly like the music - and even if it’s for little or no money. You never know where the job might lead....and be a very accommodating person - never show up late - and make sure you've done your homework.
When I would get a chance to do an audition - I would go out and get some of the albums of the artist or band I was auditioning for (a couple of weeks in advance if possible) and play along to their records. I would write out some of the trickier songs and practise them hard.
I was amazed to find out sometimes during the audition that I was the only drummer that they auditioned who had bothered to REALLY learn the material.

cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin, saw you in Paris last Night, the show was great and the new songs sounded quite fantastic to say the least !
Can't wait for the new PT album !
Some cool double bass here and there !

You played for two hours, what a treat for us fans ! Enjoyed every second of it !

My question is how you got the PT gig ? Audition ? Luck ? Recommendation ? Other ?

Did you know PT before joining them, were you a fan ?

Thx for your playing and keep on drumming in a free world !!!

Last edited:
Great thread, just read it all. Lucky to have you here, Gavin. Particularly with the thoughtful and consistent effort you put into answering all the questions. Like your drumming, intelligent and entertaining. Amazing stuff couldn't believe some of your grooves I saw by clicking the few links over these past 9 pages ... totally inspiring. Going out today to get a dvd and a couple PT cd's. New fan here.

How about some inside scoop on industry related matters? LOL
The world of endorsements ... the perks ... do they exist? I mean, do you get to visit the Zildjian plant and try out 1000 K con's until you find one you like? Do they just ship you 10 and tell you to do as you please? Do they hand hammer them for you when you need them tweaked, or are you using the same ones we get? Support on the road? How does it all work? Give us the inside scoop on cymbal heaven, which it must be.
And Sonor? Please, explain how that works. All you can eat in Sonor heaven? You must feel like a kid in a candy store with those drums. Sorry, might be lame questions, but I am curious and would love to hear the inside info on that part of the life of a pro drummer. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Gavin,
I just recieved your DVD. I think it is a top-notch production and educational dvd. I have not yet gone over everything, but I was hoping there would be a segment in which you discuss your gear preference.

I really enjoyed the tight sounding grooves and timekeeping hints. This will be yet another bag of tricks for my practicing. It's well worth the money!

Hi joeybeats,
thanks for the comments.
Zildjian have been very nice to me over the past 20 years. They have an office/vault in the UK where endorsers have chance to pick cymbals out. It's a great facility, and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to do so.
I also get great support on the road if I break a cymbal, a local distributor can replace it for me. They also run endorser days where we all get together and see/try the new products.

I have a great relationship with Sonor who made me my last kit by request. Also they provide on the road support....so I'm one lucky guy!!!!

Hi Synthetik,
glad you're enjoying the new DVD. There's a detailed explanation of my equipment on the B Side of the disc.

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin Harrison said:
Hi Synthetik,
glad you're enjoying the new DVD. There's a detailed explanation of my equipment on the B Side of the disc.

Cheers
Gavin

For those of you who don't have the disc, Gavin Made a funny. "Side B" is the printed lable.

Tonight i have the chance to see Gavin & Porcupine Tree in concert here in Basel.....

...just before leaving to Drummers Live in London....

Fun GReat Fun Great Fun

Bernhard

Hi Gavin!

I bought your Rhythmic Illusions book some years ago and it was a challenge, but it did IMENSE help to allow me to do the things I've always had in my head, but wasn't efficiently able to execute. I've used the concept quite a lot since and now use a slightly simplified version for one of my drum students.

Thanks for the inspiration!!

Synthetik said:
For those of you who don't have the disc, Gavin Made a funny. "Side B" is the printed lable.
No...he didnt.

Both Side A & Side B play on my DVD.

Side B has Gavins equipment list, (among lots of other things) which is the same as the pics he posted earlier on page 9 of this thread.

Hi Ian,
glad you got something from the book.
Sometimes when I'm showing someone a simple 16th note displacement - and they're struggling to get it - I get them to displace just one element at a time. So starting with the hi hat - have them play all the off 16ths - but keep the kick on 1 & 3 and snare on 2 & 4. Then moved the bass drum to 1e and 3e - but keep the snare on 2 & 4. Then keeping the hi hat all off the beat again - just move the snare drum to 2e and 4e (kick on 1 & 3). Then finally move the kick to 1e & 3e and the snare to 2e & 4e. It's a slightly easier way to approach it gradually...and keep the student thinking in the original time base.

Shane - absolutely correct

Cheers
Gavin

Shane G said:
No...he didnt.

Both Side A & Side B play on my DVD.

Side B has Gavins equipment list, (among lots of other things) which is the same as the pics he posted earlier on page 9 of this thread.

I stand corrected! I have over 1,000 DVD's, and none play on the lable side...that's a first for me, so I didn't even try it. My bad. I will look at it today.

Gavin,
Just wondering, i notice that you like to play rimshots with your left hand most of the time, do you go through alot of sticks? Also, per my question about writing new material, are there any arguments that arise? (considering there are 4 of you in the band, not to mention the producer and sound engineer) Or are you able to find the middle ground and settle your differences of opinion like professional?

MM

Hi Mike,
yes I have been through a lot of sticks in my time. I used to use Vic Firth SD1 maple - and I love them - but I would break so many because of the rim shots. Then I switched to using the VF hickory Rock model and they're much more durable. Also I've just started endorsing "S-Hoops" which also help not break so many sticks.

Regarding the new PT stuff. We don't really argue. We produce and engineer ourselves too.

Cheers
Gavin

Back