Your Wisdom Woodshed

10717110a1963569607b299965808l.jpg

this is where i practice

Last edited:
I love the world percussion variety you have and especially the Drummer World logo on the reso head. Nice.

Garvin said:
This is my new place...

What a fun pad! We have many of the same percussion instruments: congas, bongos and tablas. Collecting and learning new stuff is something you can do your entire life.

How long have you been playing tablas? I've been at it for about six years and so far I'm leanred only a few talas, mainly chatasri jati (four beats) variations. I have some tabla playing at www.terrasonus.com on a song called Third Chakra.

I have a funny way of practising. Sometimes when I either can't go down to my practising shed because my brother is practising guitar or because my neighbours are feeling particularly inhospitable (long words lol) I go to Anderton's music store in Guildford and try out the electric drums, because they are so lax they'll let you spend an hour there if you really want, and they have the roland v-drums, which are great. Outdated pic of the store:

drums_1.jpg

I also went all the way to southampton today, because my parents had a day off work and wanted to go shopping. Southampton, by the way, sounds like far but they have the best shops lol! I went to Sound Control and spent a while on the huge v-drum kit. This one:

TD20PBK.jpg

Eventually the staff at Anderton's will get to know me as the 'funny little feller who comes in here and spends 'alf and hour on the ol' rolands.'

Re: best situation for practice?

Guillermo said:
Ok... so I was thinking, some guys like having their drums in their room... others like to have them on a room or garage outside their house... others prfer to have their kit on a rehearsal room or studio of their band... wich is your preferred setup, either that you have or wish?

In my case, I am so lucky, ha, ha, ha... after YEARS of not being able to play at home, at my job, one of the important aspects for my "drafting" was my own, exclusive room for drums, right at the office... two doors from mine... Man... it is great I have 2 acoustic sets there ALL THE TIME... ha, ha, ha... can't complain.

I am fortunate in that I have a set here at my house, in my practice room. (I cut my garage in half, insulated it, fixed it up and gave myself a 13X16 practice room) I also have a 6 piece ddrum set at church, my guitarist has a 5 piece slingerland set at his house and my other guitarist has a 5 piece tama set at his house. So I'm covered wherever there is practice.

Dsc01953.jpg

Nice and simple.
For when I can't use my drums for practice (or if I dont want to) my computer desk doubles as my 'practice area'.
I put my copy of Stick Control on the computer (otherwise it would be a pain reading the book on the desk) and for the metronome i use the good ol free online metronome.

Once I get a double pedal I'll be making my own kick practice pad and sticking it under the desk.
So even while browsing the net (or even playing video games) I can work on my double bass.

heres mine, the thong attatched onto my wall actually isnt as bad as i thought it was going to be

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 3,937
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 3,995
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 3,940
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 3,891
I have a shed in my garden, currently used by me and my brother for music practice - my brother is really into guitars. We are about to have it soundproofed heavily and linked up with electricity, and this is supposedly what we will do with it when it is finished. I've also put what I hope my drum kit will look like by then :D

From outside:

10717110a1963569607b299965808l.jpg

Attachments

• shed.jpg
    shed.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 3,899
Ok, here is my wisdom woodshed.
img0054qk8.jpg

It's a Roland TD-3 V-drum. I have bought this marvellous toy last year. Before that, i have played almost 10 years on a practice pad! I also own an old Ludwig 1965 kit but i have not played on it since i live in an appartment... Almost 10 yers without hearing a drum sound. I know that those electronic drums are a little ''dry'' to play but it's better that than nothing.

Thanks for looking.

This post gave me tones of ideas for my own, thx.

heres my not gigging kit , i play it when the drums get loud for like 10 ò clock at night !
pict01087ht.jpg

pict01092et.jpg

LOL! Yepp im hitting my trashcan with a pedal and use it as my bassdrum ! But hey it works and even gives you a bassy sound!
pict01103mq.jpg

HA! that trashcan part really made me laugh. Thats actualy a really good idea, and is making me want to get a cheap bass pedal so i can do that on my computer desk.

Back