1977 Ludwig Big Beats

B_HALF19

Some of you may remember that earlier this year I restored a set of 1977 Ludwig Big Beats that belonged to my father. I came across these pictures today and realized I never really posted any pictures of the final product under the stage lights. This is from a gig in January.

Also pictured with the kit is a 1980's Ludwig Acrolite snare that I aquired at Christmas.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 511
  • unnamed2.jpg
    unnamed2.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 470
Very Nice!!

Classic trap set. Job well done. I mean job well done!

Sweet, look clean and classy. isn't this the kit that you cleaned the wrap on to restore it?

A classic kit! Nice job on the restore. Might I suggest an old skool script logo head? That would just look nicer on your kit.

You know, when I commented on this thread yesterday I was going to mention the bass drum head because you (Bo) like the smaller logo on the front.

I didn't think you would say "script" logo, though!!

But, you're right.

Only left-handed people are in their right minds

You know, when I commented on this thread yesterday I was going to mention the bass drum head because you (Bo) like the smaller logo on the front.

I didn't think you would say "script" logo, though!!

But, you're right.

Only left-handed people are in their right minds

Well, I like the script logo too, and it looks like a match when the badges are the older keystone ones. If he has the blue/olive badges, then I'd be suggesting a smaller modular logo. Can you tell I've studied the Ludwig catalogs from 1973 to 1980?

I personally prefer the look of the script logo. However, I was trying to stay true to what the original drumhead would have been for these drums.... And I cannot find a head with the smaller modular logo...

I personally prefer the look of the script logo. However, I was trying to stay true to what the original drumhead would have been for these drums.... And I cannot find a head with the smaller modular logo...

I found a guy on eBay who sells vinyl replica stickers, and I bought a bunch of Ludwig modular ones sizes 1.25" x 6" and apply them myself to smooth white emperors. I use Cutex nail polish with acetone to take off the remo logo. I think the ebay guy's seller ID is bodo. He does great work!

If you really wanted to go retro, you should get clear Ludwig heads for the resos, and silver dots for the batters. That's how that kit would've appeared in the 1980 catalog. But that was when they went to the bigger 1/2" curved spurs. So white heads for your era will work.

I found a guy on eBay who sells vinyl replica stickers, and I bought a bunch of Ludwig modular ones sizes 1.25" x 6" and apply them myself to smooth white emperors. I use Cutex nail polish with acetone to take off the remo logo. I think the ebay guy's seller ID is bodo. He does great work!

If you really wanted to go retro, you should get clear Ludwig heads for the resos, and silver dots for the batters. That's how that kit would've appeared in the 1980 catalog. But that was when they went to the bigger 1/2" curved spurs. So white heads for your era will work.

Cool... Thanks for the info!

Beautiful kit sir! Attached is my earlier 70's Big Beat. 3 ply, clear interior. 12, 13, 16, 22. This photo is with the 13" tom. I absolutely love them!

Attachments

• red sparkle.jpg
    red sparkle.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 275
Back