Anyone ditch the rack?

Altar

I'm considering it. I've found myself using the rack tom less and less... Kick, snare, floor, for whatever reason, is just kind of doing it for me.

Anyone else?

-Preston

Hi yeah been there done that. I got rid of mine piece by piece and just realised that i have so much more space without it. Yeah it gets stand off the floor but i just found it was too big for the setup i use on a regular basis. Also like yourself i find myself playing kick, snare and floor tom most of the time which dramatically reduces the amount of stuff i both need and want to take. Put it away for a while if you have the space and play without it and if you get on fine there is your answer.

Kevin

I bought a new Gibraltar Rack system when I bought my 6pc Gretsch kit. I loved it and used it a lot. I'm not in a band and didn't have to take it down much other than when I switched kits in the drum room. After a couple of years I sold it and bought some Gibraltar Jazz series stands and I use a couple Gibraltar Tripods to mount toms, bells, blocks and some more cymbals here and there. I like the stands - easy to use....quick setup. After having the stands for a couple years now I do kind of miss my rack system. It would be nice to have both I guess.

Attachments

• P1050701 (Custom).JPG
    P1050701 (Custom).JPG
    192.4 KB · Views: 572
  • PWAM WITH RACK.jpg
    PWAM WITH RACK.jpg
    216.4 KB · Views: 568
  • P1050708 (Custom).JPG
    P1050708 (Custom).JPG
    181.5 KB · Views: 568
  • 2 (Custom).JPG
    2 (Custom).JPG
    188.4 KB · Views: 564
Dudes...pretty sure the OP is refer to the rack *tom*, not a rack for cymbals toms etc.

I don't like a rack aesthetically the big bar across a kit.
I do love a rack tom, and certain fills and pickups for me rely on it, though I admire setups without it.

opentune - you see the Anniversary 16 to the left of my kit - in the last photo - that belonged to Elvin Jones. I bought it from a fellow Forum-ite who purchased it from Donn Bennett who in turn purchased pretty much all of Elvin's drum gear from Elvin's late wife Keiko Jones. Since you have his photo in your Avatar I thought you might like this little bit of history.

And sorry for going O/T on your thread here Altar.

I too don't like the big bar across the kit. If I was on stage/tour and needed a large kit setup maybe then it would be a good thing.

Gary

Dudes...pretty sure the OP is refer to the rack *tom*, not a rack for cymbals toms etc.

I don't like a rack aesthetically the big bar across a kit.
I do love a rack tom, and certain fills and pickups for me rely on it, though I admire setups without it.

The closest I've come at any gig is when I played a jazz gig with my 12" rack tom set up where a floor tom would be and a 10" mini-timbale as the traditional "rack tom". It worked but I definitely felt the lack of body every time I used the timbale as a tom & not as a rimshot accent. I don't know if I have any musical situation I can think of right now where I wouldn't use two toms, because I do use them as melodic elements. Using one with my playing style, I think, would make it (sorry) one-note.

In another way of speaking, I could make a ham and provolone sandwich, but I much prefer making ham, provolone, and fontiago, maybe with some basil pesto. Y'know? Unless the sandwich is calling out for just meat 'n' bread, then I'm happy to oblige.

(Also, my rack tom is to my left, and I always have a cymbal stand over there anyways.)

Sorta kinda loving mine without the racks..

DWover_zps4aad8c37.jpg

The floor toms (16,18 with a 14 on the left) seem to do the trick.

Currently I have a Roland TD-15K with a rack. Lately I've been thinking about going down the Jobeky path and getting a 'rack'. But not a rack. I do admit I'm not a fan of the cage look. Recently viewing the Gibralter site they have stealth and no leg options. I'm kinda leaning towards a Option 'H' version.

@ the 5:00 minute mark

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4loOtkhfbM

Do you think ditching the rack tom would make me a more creative drummer though? Therein lies the question. No?

Do you think ditching the rack tom would make me a more creative drummer though? Therein lies the question. No?

I thought creativity had to do with whether or not you wear a cape...

I drop the rack tom on occasion, however I feel like where my floor tom normally sits tuning-wise is too low if it's the only tom on the kit, so I always tune it higher than where it probably should sit. It's funny though, even in my band, I play fills so seldom (especially on the toms) that they're there just for the looks. Haha.

-Jonathan

Dammit.... shiny objects get me every time

Damn you Bo Eder. What were we talking about?

Oh yea, racks

drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Back