Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest

Big brother and little brother pics.

24" SE TW Jazz Ride 2534g and 22" SE TW Jazz Ride 2235g side by side.

Attachments

• 24 SE 22 SE.jpg
    24 SE 22 SE.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,140
  • 24 SE TW 22 SE TW.jpg
    24 SE TW 22 SE TW.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 838
Last edited:
20" Azure ride 2035g

Front and back shots:

Attachments

• 20 Azure {back} 2035g.jpg
    20 Azure {back} 2035g.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 797
  • 20 Azure {front} 2035g.jpg
    20 Azure {front} 2035g.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 813
Last edited:
Epoch 3055g

Back and front:

Attachments

• Epoch 3055g {front}.jpg
    Epoch 3055g {front}.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,544
  • Epoch 3055g {back}.jpg
    Epoch 3055g {back}.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,313
Last edited:
Stan, this Epoch looks fantastic! Not just your photos are amazing, the ride in general just looks beautiful, too.
I`m impressed by those Epoch rides as they sound quite thin and complex although they are quite heavy.

Nice photos!

Here`s a pic of my full Agop line-up at that trio recording session:

100_1602_fc.jpg

Karl

Nice setup Karl from that very enjoyable recording of yours. Stiil lots of green label Sig, Mel Lewis and Turk love for me to go around too :}

Yup the Epoch ride just continues to impress me. Used it for a quartet concert yesterday and it recieved lots of attention from other drummers in attendance who came up to chat with me afterwards and comment and ask about what was that amazing sounding ride cymbal I was playing. Local sales of Epoch rides will be up I suspect :} Doesn't sound like any other 22" heavy ride i've heard or owned in some 30 odd years. Totally special sound Karl especially for an acoustic jazz setting.

I just placed an order today with Heartbeat Percussion for a Mel Lewis (ML) 21" Ride - the one with two rivets. I've played the ML14 hats and the ML 1982 Series 18" CR Ride for a year now and they're pretty nice. You can get that nice full "sizzle-hiss" when you hit the hats and choke them off if you know what I mean.

I'll place a photo in this "thread-fest" when it arrives.

I just placed an order today with Heartbeat Percussion for a Mel Lewis (ML) 21" Ride - the one with two rivets. I've played the ML14 hats and the ML 1982 Series 18" CR Ride for a year now and they're pretty nice. You can get that nice full "sizzle-hiss" when you hit the hats and choke them off if you know what I mean.

I'll place a photo in this "thread-fest" when it arrives.

Great to hear Kona and enjoy! Love my Mel Lewis 2 rivet 21" ride with it's wonderful lush warm wash sound. I'll repost it's pic in anticipation of your new addition and arrival :}

Look forward to seeing a pic of your new Agop treasure.

Attachments

• Mel Lewis front.jpg
    Mel Lewis front.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 868
Last edited:
Great to hear Kona and enjoy! Love my Mel Lewis 2 rivet 21" ride with it's wonderful lush warm wash sound. I'll repost it's pic in anticipation of your new addition and arrival :}

Look forward to seeing a pic of your new Agop treasure.

Thank's Steamer.
Noel at Heartbeat told me a little bit about your Istanbul collection - quite impressive! Good pix on your site too.
I'll PM you - I have a question related to drumming in the Lower Mainland.

Kona

Did you guys notice the new AGOP logo in the latest issue of TRAPS?????

Nice Agop setup Snowdogyyz!

Yes I just heard about the new Agop logo but have not seen it yet. It's shown in an ad in the new Modern Drummer too I just heard yesterday. I'll check it out :}

wow there are some of the most beautiful cymbals i have ever seen in this thread.

i especially liked the look of the 22" vezir ride that steamer posted...although i haven't heard many turkish cymbals live.

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but i see that most of these are used for jazz, and was wondering if any could be used in a rock setting, or would i have to go to the alchemy cymbals...but they don't look as nice as the agops imo

wow there are some of the most beautiful cymbals i have ever seen in this thread.

i especially liked the look of the 22" vezir ride that steamer posted...although i haven't heard many turkish cymbals live.

not meaning to hijack the thread or anything, but i see that most of these are used for jazz, and was wondering if any could be used in a rock setting, or would i have to go to the alchemy cymbals...but they don't look as nice as the agops imo

I don't own a Vezir ride but you may be thinking about my 21" Ottoman Jazz ride at 1970g. Very rare specimen indeed this one you don't see very often from one the least talked about Istanbul Agop lines. I'll repost my pics of it for reference. This particular sample is a real oddball with it's light skim lathing on the bottom and it's partial bell hammering neither of which is in it's product description from Agop. A true rare bird with an amazing quality of a pronounced woody stick click sound for such a thin 21" cymbal.

As far as pop and rock most of the players around here use various cymbals from the Sultan, Traditional series lines and the new Azure line which are very popular at the moment with many players i've met. The heavy hitters are using Alchemy Pro line cymbals and other cymbals again from the little talked about sub- lines such as the heavy weight Pasha rides.

Attachments

• Ottoman jazz Ride {back} 1970g.jpg
    Ottoman jazz Ride {back} 1970g.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 953
  • Ottoman Jazz Ride {front} 1970g.jpg
    Ottoman Jazz Ride {front} 1970g.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 938
Last edited:
thanks for the info steamer. Yeah that was the ride i was talking about. How do they make it so that half of its got a different finish? (how its shiny and then not shiny)

thanks for the info steamer. Yeah that was the ride i was talking about. How do they make it so that half of its got a different finish? (how its shiny and then not shiny)

Glad it's the one you had in mind drums_n_surf .

It's the band style lathing that Agop uses on the top like you see on the Sultans that gives it it's unique visual appearence. Traditional style cymbal lathing in the outer and inner sections of the cymbal mixed with the raw appearence of the cymbal straight from the hand hammering room in the middle section combined with a unlathed bell on top. The bottom as with the top is completely hand shaped by hammer and again raw in appearence but with no inner or outer lathing patterns as seen on the top. The bottom is identical to a Turk ride but in this case this sample has some light skim lathing lines not known to be normally seen on the 21" Ottoman Jazz rides.

Last edited:
i love how all the cymbals are so unique, like how your 21" Ottoman Jazz Ride has light skim lathing lines on the bottom when its quite unusual for them to have it. I'd much rather have a cymbal that has been hand hammered and has a bit of individuality about it. However i am assuming that it means there is a larger variation in sound between each individual cymbal, isn't it?

Last edited:
i love how all the cymbals are so unique, like how your 21" Ottoman Jazz Ride has light skim lathing lines on the bottom when its quite unusual for them to have it. I'd much rather have a cymbal that has been hand hammered and has a bit of individuality about it. However i am assuming that it means there is a larger variation in sound between each individual cymbal, isn't it?

Yes you will experience more sample to sample variation with hand shaped and hammered cymbals which just comes with individual character that comes with each cymbal right from casting, rolling, annealing and later the lathing {or no lathing} and how they are hammered slightly different by a real set of artisans along the production line.

Haven't heard a bad Agop yet after testing many samples they are just all different with their own unique personality and I just pick the ones that stand out and really "speak with a certain voice" for me within a certan size and product line.

Did you guys notice the new AGOP logo in the latest issue of TRAPS?????

Just saw it on pg. 131 in a full page ad in the Dec. Modern Drummer. The new logo is contained in a closed black line circle now with the Istanbul part removed being simply known as Agop now. New graphic design for the Agop logo too and around the bottom of the circle was written "handmade by Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk" I believe and the top "Made in Turkey" from memory

Last edited:
Just saw it on pg. 131 in a full page ad in the Dec. Modern Drummer. The new logo is contained in a closed black line circle now with the Istanbul part removed being simply known as Agop now. New graphic design for the Agop logo too and around the bottom of the circle was written "handmade by Arman + Sarkis Tomurcuk" I believe and the top "Made in Turkey" from memory

And here it is. The new AGOP stamp and logo:

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 808
Last edited:
So what will this logo replace on the cymbals Stan? Surely not the "Istanbul" written across the top? I gotta say i don't think that will look the best...

Back