Get yo Meinl out!

I love my Meinls, definitely made a good choice in switching. Waiting on my new crash now, stuck in layaway. Here's the current setup.

22" Byzance Vintage Sand Ride

P1040561.jpg

20" Byzance Traditional Extra Thin Hammered Crash

P1040310.jpg

14" Byzance Extra Dry Medium Hats

P1040311.jpg

Whole setup.

P1040554.jpg

beautiful

I started out going after the same set up as Benny Greb, but ended up with a bit of a variation.
Funny thing, it's exactly what happened with me :).

At this point I own:

20" Sand Ride (awesome for everything except rather quiet playing, especially quiet jazz)
20" Extra Dry Crash (awesome sound)
18" Extra Dry Crash
16" Dark Crash
14" Sand Hats and
14" Extra Dry Hats (again awesome, I bought those because the Sand Hats are again
kind of too loud for quiet situations - the Extra Drys are excellent for that)
10" Extra Dry Splash

all Byzance

I still want:
22" Sand Crash - tested it at Frankfurt Musikmesse, exquisit pie!
A higher pitched more brillant crash to replace my 15" Sabian AAX-plosion crash - maybe a Byzance 15" Traditional?
A set of small hihats to replace my 13" Paiste 2002s
A small splash (8" or so) to go along with my 10" extra dry.

pics to follow...

My Meinl line-up includes:

20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride (Signed by Mike Johnston)
18" Byzance Dark Crash
18" Byzance Vintage Trash Crash
16" Byzance Dark Crash
13" Byzance Dark Hi Hats

IMG_2913.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

Here are mine..... mostly MCS and Classics series, but they sound pretty good. I do plan on upgrading to Byzance and/or MB20's eventually....

MapexMM43.jpg

MapexMM41.jpg

MapexMM40.jpg

Here's my current set:

14" Extra Dry Hats
18" Jazz Medium-Thin Crash
20" Extra Dry Ride
20" Sand Ride

Not included in the photo, and are rotated in depending on the gig are:

14" MB20 Hats
19" Soundcaster Custom Powerful Crash

Looking at this thread, it's pretty impressive to see the influence Benny Greb has had on all of us in rethinking cymbal sounds and set-ups!

Attachments

• Feb. 2012 - 2 (Small).jpg
    Feb. 2012 - 2 (Small).jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 7,824
Looking at this thread, it's pretty impressive to see the influence Benny Greb has had on all of us in rethinking cymbal sounds and set-ups!

I would have bought that ride if no ones name was on it.....it is the best sounding ride cymbal I have ever owned.....so versatile

its literally the only ride Ive ever owned that goes with me in the cymbal bag no matter what style the gig is

fantastic cymbal

props to Benny and Meinl for capturing some magic

My Meinl collection has just started and I just got the hand hammered crash today. So stoked to have these cymbals. Let the Journey begin!

20" Dark Raw Bell Ride
drbyzance.jpg

20" Traditional Hand Hammered Crash
ethc2.jpg

drethc.jpg

I have some 14" Byzance medium hats, an 18" Byzance Dark China and an 8 Drumbal.
Very happy with them.

Plan on replacing my A Custom Crash and Ride with some Byzance as soon as funds are available.

my Meinl brethren ....I recently got this Byzance 8" splash and Im in love!!!!
splashp.jpg

Last edited:
Since you guys have all new Meinl cymbals, i'll post my old Meinl Profile (rock velvet) Hats!!! I bought them, what, 20 yrs ago (??), and i still love them. But i'm looking for some new Byzance Dark Hats.... Waiting for the money!!

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpg
    IMG_1061.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 6,978
  • IMG_1060.jpg
    IMG_1060.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6,894
I would have bought that ride if no ones name was on it.....it is the best sounding ride cymbal I have ever owned.....so versatile

its literally the only ride Ive ever owned that goes with me in the cymbal bag no matter what style the gig is

fantastic cymbal

props to Benny and Meinl for capturing some magic

Gvdadrummasum, would recommand that ride for any kind of music?? Is it that versatile?? 'cause i'm looking for The Dark ride...hum!

My Meinl line-up includes:

20" Byzance Dark Raw Bell Ride (Signed by Mike Johnston)
18" Byzance Dark Crash
18" Byzance Vintage Trash Crash
16" Byzance Dark Crash
13" Byzance Dark Hi Hats

IMG_2913.jpg

DSC03153.jpg

IMG_2368.jpg

I love your kit, set up, and love meinls!!!

Awesome Pies everyone, keep them coming! Looks like a few of us have similar taste is cymbals, hopefully I can meet Benny Greb, Mike Johnston, Chris Coleman or many of the other great Meinl artists so that I can get mine signed too!

Rounding out the line up 14" Dark Hats and 18" Vintage Sand Thin Crash.

cymbal.jpg

Don't have any good pics of my main setup, but here's my practice/drag around kit.

13" Soundcaster Fusion hats
14" Candela crash
20" Byzanve Vintage Sand Ride
17" Byzance Brilliant Thin crash

IMG_8594 by JOFizzm, on Flickr

Next time I'm in my practice space, I'll try to get a good pic or two, but it's...

13" Byzance Brilliant hats
8" MCS (I think) splash
15" Byzance Brilliant Thin crash
12" MB8 splash
21" MB8 Ghost ride
16" MB8 Heavy crash
14" Byzance Brilliant china

Hey,
I already posted this kit in its own thread but I thought I'd put it up here also and mention the cymbals more.

14" Custom Shop Hi Hats - got these on ebay for virtually nothing. They are thick as hell but surprisingly responsive. They absolutely kill when I ride them fully open.

18" M-Series Fusion crash - Opens up immediately, very clean and clear tone. Despite its size its very good for catches.

22" Byzance Dark Spectrum Ride - the best cymbal I have ever owned. It does everything I want but of course it is dark. Not for metal or heavy rock etc.

18" Mb10 Medium Crash - This is just there for aggression. It has a surprising china like element to it. It projects well and has a good usable bell.

I often use a 20" Mb10 Medium ride at rehearsal simply so I can go harder if the need goes there without worrying. Its clear, it crashes and the bell is great. This cymbal really matches the others better than the Spectrum ride.

Attachments

• DSCF0477.JPG
    DSCF0477.JPG
    379.7 KB · Views: 6,490
Interesting setup! The candela series is for orchestral playing, isn't it? What's
the reason for you to include it to your cymbal setup? Especially considering
you pair it with a brillant Byzance crash. Do they match?

The candela is their latin percussion line I think. It acts a lot like a splash, and that's how I use it. Very bright and explosive, but almost no sustain. The byzance is just standing in until I throw it on my main kit. They do go together pretty well, but the candela is pretty much just an accent cymbal.

Back