Yamaha Live Custom and Club Custom - Comparison Video

SgtThump

Platinum Member
Shot these on two different days with different cymbals, heads, and snare drums, but used the same mics and basic setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxkz4ZOx7Z0

I have my thoughts, but I'm curious to see what others think. Thought it would be interesting to put these two videos together to really compare the different tones of my two setups.

Looking forward to feedback.

Thanks,

Chris

Attachments

• livecustom_front.jpg
    livecustom_front.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 3,987
  • 20140212_095052.jpg
    20140212_095052.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 3,534
Last edited:
Both sound great!!! My preference is the Club Custom sound wise -- more round and warm to my ears. Some of that could be in the coated heads. I would love to hear them compared with the same heads and tuning on each kit. Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Both kits sounded great, can't say which one I like better? It would depend on the gig I was playing. Great tuning too by the way. Are they tuned in 4ths?

Thanks for the replies. My opinion is that the marketing around these two sets is right. Meaning that the Live Custom is a loud aggressive solid sounding set and the Club Custom is a boomy vintage sounding set with modern features.

I think they both sound awesome, but different. Nice variety of tones!

Man - you got ripped off. They both sound the same - LOL

Just kidding of course. They each have a unique character, and I like them both.
I'd be hard pressed if I had to pick just one of them.

Man - you got ripped off. They both sound the same - LOL

Just kidding of course. They each have a unique character, and I like them both.
I'd be hard pressed if I had to pick just one of them.

LOL! Yeah, I hear ya. I absolutely love the Live Customs, but I gotta admit those Club Customs sure do sound killer. Totally different tone, but every bit as good.

A sane person would look at these two sets and realize I'm setup for anything I'd ever do in the future. I mean, there are plenty of toms with each set to put together different configurations (3 piece with bass, 12" and 14" tom for example) and they both cover very different ground tonally. They're also very functional and high quality.

Am I done buying and selling drums forever? lol... Yeah right!

I am prejudiced because I own a Club Custom kit, but regardless I thought the Club Customs sound much better to my ear than your Live Customs. The Live Customs are very cutting with great attack, the Club Customs are warmer, not as loud and have a hint of vintage tone that the Live Customs don't have.

I have had my Club Customs for about a year now and really like them a lot, they look as good as they sound and are definitely the easiest tuning Yamaha kit I gave ever owned or played.

I am prejudiced because I own a Club Custom kit, but regardless I thought the Club Customs sound much better to my ear than your Live Customs. The Live Customs are very cutting with great attack, the Club Customs are warmer, not as loud and have a hint of vintage tone that the Live Customs don't have.

I have had my Club Customs for about a year now and really like them a lot, they look as good as they sound and are definitely the easiest tuning Yamaha kit I gave ever owned or played.

I agree with you totally, which is the nice thing about owning both! I used the Live Custom 2 nights ago at band rehearsal and they were loud and proud!

That said, I'm LOVING the Club Customs! They are beautiful sounding drums.

You mentioned that the grain of the Oak and Kapur are very different.

That said, how would Live Black Wood toms look on top of the Club Black Wood kick? Are they "close enough" for a live situation? Also, do you think the Kapur kick can work sonically with Oak toms? Obviously you would not combine Oak and Kapur toms, but how about Oak toms with Kapur kick?

In case it's not obvious, I'm asking 'cause I have a Club set but would love to have the option of "Oak Attack" for certain gigs. But I don't want to shell out for a whole shell set.

Thanks

You mentioned that the grain of the Oak and Kapur are very different.

That said, how would Live Black Wood toms look on top of the Club Black Wood kick? Are they "close enough" for a live situation? Also, do you think the Kapur kick can work sonically with Oak toms? Obviously you would not combine Oak and Kapur toms, but how about Oak toms with Kapur kick?

In case it's not obvious, I'm asking 'cause I have a Club set but would love to have the option of "Oak Attack" for certain gigs. But I don't want to shell out for a whole shell set.

Thanks

Hey! The grain difference is pretty big, but if they're both in black wood, nobody would notice on a dark stage. The hardware is a dark chrome on the Live customs, which may be more noticeable. But really, I doubt anyone would see that either. LOL

Great idea to have those options!

I have been saying this for years. The number one factor in a drum sound is not heads, edges, tuning, blah blah blah, but the color. They are both black and both sound great. Now where is my spray can....................

I have been saying this for years. The number one factor in a drum sound is not heads, edges, tuning, blah blah blah, but the color. They are both black and both sound great. Now where is my spray can....................

I know your comment is "tongue in cheek", but I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to want their set to look nice, as well as sound nice.

Yes, naturally the aesthetics are secondary. Missed the humor above.

Anyway, kapur kick with oak toms SONICALLY would work for you? The sounds could work together? Ever tried it?

Yes, naturally the aesthetics are secondary. Missed the humor above.

Anyway, kapur kick with oak toms SONICALLY would work for you? The sounds could work together? Ever tried it?

I have my Club Custom and Live Custom bass drums setup totally differently, so I spent much time comparing them setup the same way to hear the differences.

Club Custom - Evans Emad batter, stock Remo PS3 reso with no port
Live Custom - Clear Remo PS3 batter, Aquarian PS3 style front reso with port hole

I had them setup the exact same way when they were both stock (PS3 style heads on front and back with no port) and the Live Custom bass drum is tons louder with more punch (similar to the difference in toms.) I'm sure it would still sound good mixed up, though.

Nice playing and both kits sound great.
My Club Customs, same sizes, also in Black Wood, sound very close to yours. I have Evans coated G12's on the toms and a clear PS3 with the Yamaha PS3 reso ported.
I bought them after I sold my Gretsch USA Custom kit and I love them. As RickP said, they are very easy to tune. And the snare is killer!

Attachments

• club customs.jpg
    club customs.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 956
Nice playing and both kits sound great.
My Club Customs, same sizes, also in Black Wood, sound very close to yours. I have Evans coated G12's on the toms and a clear PS3 with the Yamaha PS3 reso ported.
I bought them after I sold my Gretsch USA Custom kit and I love them. As RickP said, they are very easy to tune. And the snare is killer!

Just beautiful man! I've read lots of comments about them sounding similar to the USA Gretsch kits. Any truth to that?

Just beautiful man! I've read lots of comments about them sounding similar to the USA Gretsch kits. Any truth to that?

Rick's video tells the tale better than I can.
All I can add was that after I sold my Gretsch Customs and got the Club Customs, I'm not missing the G's as much as I thought I would.

I can't take credit for the youtube video our esteemed forum member Halldor made it. I can admit that after listening to it I was really surprised at how close the two drum lines sound alike.

Back