In defence of multiple toms.

I'm working OS with lots of travel involved, so have not been able to follow DW much for the last few years, but I caught this thread. I like Andy's approach to answer the question he'd asked of himself (and the video footage of course made me feel more inadequate about my skills, especially now that all I have is a practice pad during my travels).
In the subsequent discussion that evolved, it might be worth looking at the following pictures and link, which support the hypothesis that you can play pretty much any type of music with a small or a large kit, it's whatever works best for the drummer playing the kit. Of course, if you're playing in a true-to-the-original covers band, that may be more difficult on a very different kit.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84806

Attachments

• IMG-20130504-00176.jpg
    IMG-20130504-00176.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG-20130504-00177.jpg
    IMG-20130504-00177.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 109
I used a 4-piece kit for the first 10 years of my drumming, but I've since switched to a 2 up, 1 down setup and I can't imagine going back to a simple 1 up, 1 down. I think I've found a pretty good happy medium with what I have now, especially with fusion sized toms over a 20" bass. I just love having the 10" and 12" toms right next to each other because it's given me so many more options for fills.

Not knocking the 4-piece guys at all. If you can get it done with 4, great.

Back