New Club Date club member!

You had to pay for some Epics? :)

Well, a few factors at work here, but mostly that this is a Guitar Center exclusive kit (by virtue of the wrap) and not likely Ludwig would make that same kit for me. But they were just so inexpensive, I think that GC made about $50 on the kit, and I really didn't want to exercise my endorsement for something like this.

Also, they're Elements, not Epics. :)

Bermuda

Last edited:
If only some other Chinese manufacturer saw it the way you do, lol.

Dennis

I presume that the other "offending " posts have been removed from this thread. I do then wonder why this is still here.

I presume that the other "offending " posts have been removed from this thread. I do then wonder why this is still here.

You should never presume anything, because maybe it's not offending. It's just my opinion agreeing with the opinion of another poster. What was already edited did seem a bit lopsided and not in my favor, lol.

Dennis .

Love what he's done with those kits, I personally have a problem with the giant, un-foldable Gibraltar style rails Ludwig's been using, and am slightly reconfiguring mine to fold-down. Had thought about attaching an old rail consolette arm, but really don't want to waste a vintage one on this kit.

Bermuda

Love what he's done with those kits, I personally have a problem with the giant, un-foldable Gibraltar style rails Ludwig's been using, and am slightly reconfiguring mine to fold-down. Had thought about attaching an old rail consolette arm, but really don't want to waste a vintage one on this kit.

Bermuda
I got my Club Date tom holder to fold down simply be taking a cymbal wing nut and cutting the shank shorter with a hacksaw. It worked perfect.
I kept the original Ludwig wing nut so that I can reinstall it if I ever sell the kit.
I also cut a slot in the tom holder to accept the tooth of a memory lock. You can see the wing nut on the left and the memory lock on the rail in the pic.

I played my Club Date at band practice tonight. I hadn't played it with this band before. I have been playing my 6 piece ddrum kit with them.
It was an awesome session! They all loved the Ludinator. :)

Attachments

• 1204022219.jpg
    1204022219.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,365
Last edited:
I also just came up with a solution. The T-nut is the culprit - not the bolt - so I sought to eliminate it. I went old school with a hex nut:

gibrail2.jpg

The old Ludwig nuts obviously don't fit the 8mm bolt, so I took an M8 nut and ground down the sides so that the old Ludfwig wrench (which I keep with me anyway) would work. Folds down nicely, and the ball/arm housing hits the head's aluminum rim, so there's no contact with the wrap or wooden hoop:

gibrail1.jpg

The tom post sticks a bit beyond the hoop, but at least the whole thing will fit in a bag!

But I do like the low profile wing nut idea, will look for one of those!

Bermuda

Well OK, I guess that the hex nut will work for the tom mount solution that you have derived. :)
Do you have an antique tom holder socket wrench to adjust the hex nut that you have installed on the tom mount?
I used to have to make sure that mine was always neatly stowed away in my gig bag when I had my true 60's kit.

You just be carful and don't bend any of those long tension rods. :)

Oh yea, I almost forgot, since you have gone the, "Old School" route;
lose that ugly suspension mount!!!
Drill that tom for the shell mount and do the vintage vibe correctly :) :) :) (triple smile on that one)

Last edited:
Well OK, I guess that the hex nut will work for the tom mount solution that you have derived. :)
Do you have an antique tom holder socket wrench to adjust the hex nut that you have installed on the tom mount?

Always keep one in my bag, I occasionally take out a vintage kit.

Oh yea, I almost forgot, since you have gone the, "Old School" route;
lose that ugly suspension mount!!!
Drill that tom for the shell mount and do the vintage vibe correctly :) :) :) (triple smile on that one)

Yeah, it's pretty cheesy even by RIMS-type standards. Will have to determine if I should mount it under the lugs in the middle, depends on what height I need. But I'd already thought about doing the shell mount.

Something else cool that I noticed immediately, the toms use the old lightweight rims!

Bermuda

Yea the thin hoops do make a difference in the sound.

I opted to replace the stock 1.6mm hoops with 2.3mm stick saver style to add a slightly warmer tone to the drums.

I didn't want to go with cast hoops though.
I was after something that was in between thin and thick.

Bermuda

Steve Maxwell makes an exact reproduction of the vintage rail consolette that you may be interested in

it is built to work with Gretsch, Slingerland, and Ludwig

awesome piece

http://www.maxwelldrums.com/rail-consolette-holder-complete-p-3745.html

Rehearsed with them tonight... and LOVED them! They have a very '60s vibe, despite being nothing like a '60s shell. Seriously, eyes closed, I would think this was a vintage kit! Tom heads are Strata1000 batters over G1 clear, kick is clear EMAD with a Ludwig 1-ply reso, felt strip, no hole.

Just a lovely, lovely kit. Will test them further on a gig Saturday and give a more complete report.

Bermuda

Bermuda,
Thanks so much for posting this..... I am now about $940 poorer! Just ordered this from Musicians Friend with the matching snare 6.5x14 in the same sizes 14x22, 9x13, 16x16 . Jeez I'm stoked....love the look of this kit. Didn't get the smokin' deal you did but I did get $150 off the whole order from GC's still running black friday deal. Whoopee!

Bermuda,
Thanks so much for posting this..... I am now about $940 poorer! Just ordered this from Musicians Friend with the matching snare 6.5x14 in the same sizes 14x22, 9x13, 16x16 . Jeez I'm stoked....love the look of this kit. Didn't get the smokin' deal you did but I did get $150 off the whole order from GC's still running black friday deal. Whoopee!

Nice nice. I drooled over this kit at GC when it came out in May. It was gorgeous adn sounded amazing. Do the whole unboxing, unwrapping photo montage when it comes in, will ya? Thanks.

Bermuda,

Cool, you'll be thrilled with them! I'm gigging with them tomorrow and will post a review of how they fare on the job.

Bermuda

Cool, you'll be thrilled with them! I'm gigging with them tomorrow and will post a review of how they fare on the job.

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda! I would value your review of the kit. BTW the Strata1000 batters, how do you like those? I looked them up..10mil single ply coated resembling a calf skin head. hmmm, might have to try that.

There's a thread or 2 about the Stratas, I love them for a present, round, jazzy/vintagy vibe. Yet they come across quite punchy on the Club Dates. Definitely a well kept secret.

There's a thread or 2 about the Stratas, I love them for a present, round, jazzy/vintagy vibe. Yet they come across quite punchy on the Club Dates. Definitely a well kept secret.

I'll have to search the threads on them. I've been using Aquarian Response 2 coated and coated Super 2's on my Gretsch kit as batters. I'll may try the Strata's on the Ludwig and will definately keep that on the down low!

Back