Ordering new Ludwig tom for Bonham kit

I have the Ludwig Classic Maple Zep kit with the 12x14" rack tom. All of the toms and bass have mini Classic lugs. I'm going to order a 10x14" rack tom in matching green sparkle but for some reason I kinda want to order it with regular Classic lugs because the mini's don't look right to me on a 10x14", at all. I know it won't match the rest of the kit but neither did Ringos 8x12" with mini classic lugs whe the rest of the kit had larger classics. What do you think?

The traditional Ludwig lug assignment was small lugs on 6-12" toms, and large lugs on 13" and up. While there really aren't any strict rules about what to do, the lug size did correspond somewhat to the drum size. Going small-to-large as the drums get bigger is a natural look, and using all small lugs is also acceptable. But large lugs on a small drum next to small lugs on the larger drums is going to look goofy. trust me, I can already picture it.

Further, when you go to sell that kit some day, the unconventional lug size will detract from the value (I suppose you can always sell the power tom with the kit instead.)

But it will still look odd. Don't do it.

Bermuda

Thanks Bermuda. I've been looking at Drummerworld forum member Adams kit with small lugs and even used one of the pics of his kit for my home page wallpaper just to admire it better and it's growing on me. You're right, I'm gonna stick with small lugs as it will be consistent. I'm going to also get the cymbal arm holder mount for the bass drum but will hold off on the rail and maybe not install it at all in case I want to switch it up and go with the power tom (which would look just WRONG on a rail mount IMO) for a change of pace. I'm hoping I can order this tom from Ludwig with the same badge I have on my kit instead of the newer smaller, thicker keystone Monroe badge too just to keep it all looking like a factory kit. And this kit aint never gonna get sold again BTW!!

Hey, I have a question. Has anyone ever added the Ludwig tone control mufflers to their Ludwig drums? Not so much for the rack toms but for my floor toms I'd like a tad of muffling and don't mind drilling out the drums if there is a template or guide on how to do it to factory specs. Thanks!

They've been doing the "cast" badges for about 18 months now, but it's worth seeing if you can get the former badge.

Bermuda

Ok here's a more recent shot of my kit just before the new tom arrived.

And here we are with the new tom. It's basically a match for the kit, I was able to get the larger keystone badge and I went with mini classic lugs like the other drums have. For heads I specified Ludwig heavy coated batter and medium clear reso. I replaced the batter with an Ambassador coated and the drum just sings and blends in perfectly!

Keeping the 12x14 for when I'm in the early Bonham era mood I guess.

Ok here's a more recent shot of my kit just before the new tom arrived.

And here we are with the new tom. It's basically a match for the kit, I was able to get the larger keystone badge and I went with mini classic lugs like the other drums have. For heads I specified Ludwig heavy coated batter and medium clear reso. I replaced the batter with an Ambassador coated and the drum just sings and blends in perfectly!

Keeping the 12x14 for when I'm in the early Bonham era mood I guess.

Looks Great! Glad you got what you wanted. BTW.. have you done any A/Bing with the two 14" toms? Love that kit man!

Looks Great! Glad you got what you wanted. BTW.. have you done any A/Bing with the two 14" toms? Love that kit man!

Thanks! Yes i did A/B the two 14s. The 12x14 has a distinctly cool character almost what you might call a drone but thats not quite the right term because its more of a deep resonance. Its musical though and i kind of figured it went with the deep shell and all. Anyhow, the drum is not happy with higher tunings as the sound starts to choke well before you get to Max Roach tensioning! The 10x14 has a bit wider tuning range and sounds a bit more open and responds quicker to my ears. However the drum has the same exact tone character I noted on the other tom. This suprised and delighted me to no end. It mixes well with the rest of the kit and i can find a happy playing spot over the bass drum much faster too. Gotta say Ive been extremely satisfied with the quality of build and woods used in Ludwigs Classic Maples. Theyre right up there with my vintage Rogers, Ludwig and Gretsch kits I have owned and the price is darn nice too!

Back