Thoughts on this combination of cymbals? (video)

Well those are all really nice cymbals and combine pretty well. I usually never use more than 2 or 3, so to me the 2 K's on right side seemed duplicative. But man, that Dream 24 is really nice, as is the Sweet ride. I tried a Dream 22 crash/ride and it didn't work for me. That 24 is more what I was seeking at the time. You have some nice sounding stuff.

Well those are all really nice cymbals and combine pretty well. I usually never use more than 2 or 3, so to me the 2 K's on right side seemed duplicative. But man, that Dream 24 is really nice, as is the Sweet ride. I tried a Dream 22 crash/ride and it didn't work for me. That 24 is more what I was seeking at the time. You have some nice sounding stuff.

Thanks man. I'm a rock player and usually use hats, 1 ride, and 2 crashes. I had a crapload of cymbals around and recently sold alot of them off. I recently got a Paiste Giant Beat set, which has become my "go to" set for rock stuff.

These are the cymbals I liked the most out of the ones I sold, so they're still here. To be honest, I was about to sell that 24" Dream ride. But after putting some tape on the bottom, it sounds pretty darn good! It was a bit much for me before that.

I figured the 21" Sweet Ride, 20" K Ride, and 18" K Dark Thin Crash are still very good rock cymbals, so they're most likely staying! I just have this urge to get more Paistes. LOL

I also have a set of 15" Dream Bliss hats that are killer, but those aren't in this video (obviously.)

Hey, sounds good! Would have liked hearing the 24" without muffling though, I always thought muffling cymbals cuts the highs more than the lows, and it makes the stick attack darker. But that may just be my experience!

Regarding the Dark thin crash, are Zildjians "thin" cymbals thicker in comparison to Sabians "thin" cymbals? Or is it just the recording? Sounds like it needs a bit of power to open up, and I'm comparing to my "thin" Sabians which pretty much open up by touching them.

Definitely enjoying the K ride the most, that bell is perfect!

It all sounds good to me. Peace and goodwill.

Hey, sounds good! Would have liked hearing the 24" without muffling though, I always thought muffling cymbals cuts the highs more than the lows, and it makes the stick attack darker. But that may just be my experience!

Regarding the Dark thin crash, are Zildjians "thin" cymbals thicker in comparison to Sabians "thin" cymbals? Or is it just the recording? Sounds like it needs a bit of power to open up, and I'm comparing to my "thin" Sabians which pretty much open up by touching them.

Definitely enjoying the K ride the most, that bell is perfect!

Thanks! That Dream ride would easily get away from me without the tape. I know what you're saying about not liking putting tape on to cut down the wash, but it definitely helps this cymbal (in my opinion, of course.) I'm sure I'll continue to experiment with and without tape, though.

I'm not experienced with Sabian cymbals at all, so I can't really answer that. But I wasn't laying into that K crash at all and you're right, it takes a little harder hit than what I was doing to open it up! In a rock context, I'll hit harder and it opens up with a "typical" strike. I really love that crash!

Thanks man!

Back